Research Help

Alexander Ballard

Reaction score
Hi all,

I am a student at Cambridge University and conducting research into some of the changing geographies of D/deaf communities. I’ve been really heartened to see how this group is used and what a great community you’ve created here.

I hope you don't mind me posting this but if any of you have time I would be so grateful if you could fill out this quick survey (literally only 12 questions) to help my research: http://kwiksurveys.com/s.asp?sid=skwwwe6xptrxn71471807

Or if you have any thoughts/views about what being D/deaf online means then please comment or contact me (ab2074@cam.ac.uk)

Many thanks,
Alex

When I was in HS, I had a vehicle with turbocharged engine.

I'm now 37 years old. I'm more worried about dangerous biting cats over vehicles with turbocharged engine.

When did you first learn about people with hearing loss/deaf/Deaf/Hoh?

Why do you want to know about Deaf?

Are you afraid of talking to people who uses ASL?

Do you know ASL?

What do you think of deaf/Deaf?

When did you first learn about people with hearing loss/deaf/Deaf/Hoh?

Why do you want to know about Deaf?

Are you afraid of talking to people who uses ASL?

Do you know ASL?

What do you think of deaf/Deaf?

Hi Frisky Feline, and thanks for the questions.

I guess I've always been aware of people with hearing loss/dead/Dead/HOH... but when I was 17 I started helping out once a week at a Deaf school in London and that was when I started to engage far more with some of these issues and understand some of the complexities.

And so I have always in some ways been interested in Deafhood/deafness/deaf experiences but my interest in it at this time is for my dissertation research.
For the project itself I'm looking to challenge some of the simplistic views of what being deaf means and in particular how online media are changing this.

I'm not at all afraid of talking to people who use ASL, I don't know the language myself and I only have level 1 BSL, but I would be very happy to communicate.

The deaf/Deaf debate is an interesting one and I am particularly interested in the range of different opinions on it and the different ways people identify. Why do you ask? and what do you think about it all?

I guess I've always been aware of people with hearing loss/dead/Dead/HOH... but when I was 17 I started helping out once a week at a Deaf school in London and that was when I started to engage far more with some of these issues and understand some of the complexities.

And so I have always in some ways been interested in Deafhood/deafness/deaf experiences but my interest in it at this time is for my dissertation research.
For the project itself I'm looking to challenge some of the simplistic views of what being deaf means and in particular how online media are changing this.

I'm not at all afraid of talking to people who use ASL, I don't know the language myself and I only have level 1 BSL, but I would be very happy to communicate.

The deaf/Deaf debate is an interesting one and I am particularly interested in the range of different opinions on it and the different ways people identify. Why do you ask? and what do you think about it all?

"/dead/Dead " ? There is no one dead here !

How in the hell do people come up with the word "d/Dead" instead of "d/Deaf"?

Hearing people called us "d/Dead" even in my family who are in-laws. I am not dead for goodness sake. Dang!!!!

Does it mean that we are no good to any hearing or able body people that we are dead to the world? You have no way of knowing how we had to put up with this word or hearing impaired or any ignorant words. You better be careful how you type even in the first sentence while you were doing fine in the latter sentences. Geeze. That make me upset. :mad:

I am so sorry everybody. Of course I meant d/Deaf and not d/Dead. This was a careless typo and I'm so sorry for the offence slip. We all make mistakes and I hope you can forgive this one.

I am surprised however to learn that people have purposefully called you this in the past and such intolerant attitudes make me sad. Might I ask, what other offensive terms people have used against you?

Once again, my sincerest apologies everyone.

I am so sorry everybody. Of course I meant d/Deaf and not d/Dead. This was a careless typo and I'm so sorry for the offence slip. We all make mistakes and I hope you can forgive this one.

I am surprised however to learn that people have purposefully called you this in the past and such intolerant attitudes make me sad. Might I ask, what other offensive terms people have used against you?

Once again, my sincerest apologies everyone.

Don't be apologize. There are too many like you coming here and ask us questions all the time. we all are human like you. I do not need to explain any future since I was teasing you. It is old news for me. :). They see anyone type dead instead of deaf. they felt like telling you anything they please to point out with anyone who type misspelling Ha

How in the hell do people come up with the word "d/Dead" instead of "d/Deaf"?

Hearing people called us "d/Dead" even in my family who are in-laws. I am not dead for goodness sake. Dang!!!!

Does it mean that we are no good to any hearing or able body people that we are dead to the world? You have no way of knowing how we had to put up with this word or hearing impaired or any ignorant words. You better be careful how you type even in the first sentence while you were doing fine in the latter sentences. Geeze. That make me upset. :mad:

See where I have added the bold. If it is something that was written using a US version of a keyboard it is easy to do unless you really check for typos. Look - the "d" and "f" are next to each other!

See where I have added the bold. If it is something that was written using a US version of a keyboard it is easy to do unless you really check for typos. Look - the "d" and "f" are next to each other!

How about people who speak the word "dead" instead of "deaf" even writing or typing the word? I know it is typo when he/she typed on the first sentence. But still, geeze, this is no excuse to making the wrong word for speech or written word. They thought that we are dead for sure. :roll:

How about people who speak the word "dead" instead of "deaf" even writing or typing the word? I know it is typo when he/she typed on the first sentence. But still, geeze, this is no excuse to making the wrong word for speech or written word. They thought that we are dead for sure. :roll:

:laugh2: YES FOR SURE!!!! DEAD!!!! wait a min, how come we are typing here.. oh yeah we are Deaf. whew.

Catrinas_2.jpg

Gonna be a hard sell here buddy. People are always showing up here with surveys and homework questions. Maybe next time just say hi before asking eveyone for favors.

Come to North St. Louis, you will be amazed at the vocabulary used there... cant call it a typo, its the language spoken.
Properly we say something like...

We are happy.

go there and you hear...

We is happy...

it bugs the shit out of me when they want to carry a conversation with
"we is, you is, you be, Ill borrow you some money, once they get going its a lost cause.

I'm sorry if I'm just adding to the bombardment of surveys and questions being asked of you all, but I am so grateful for everyone who has taken the time to read my posts and answer my surveys. I know this is your community and I really really don't want to intrude.

Maybe it would be better if people who have any thoughts or questions about my research email me separately (ab207@cam.ac.uk)

Once again, many thanks one and all.

Back