Report: S.C. governor says he was in Argentina

Status
Not open for further replies.

jillio

Reaction score
COLUMBIA, South Carolina (CNN) -- South Carolina Gov. Mark Sanford did not spend the last five days hiking the Appalachian Trail -- as his staff indicated -- but instead was in Buenos Aires, Argentina, he told The State newspaper.

Gov. Mark Sanford told The State newspaper he was surprised the story was attracting such attention.

Spotted returning from the trip at the Hartsfield-Jackson International Airport in Atlanta, Georgia, Wednesday morning, the Republican governor told The State he had considered hiking the Appalachian Trail after his state's busy legislative season ended but instead decided differently.

"I wanted to do something exotic. It's a great city," Sanford said, referring to Buenos Aires.

The governor will speak with reporters Wednesday at 2 p.m. ET, his office announced.

Sanford's staff and family seemed to be in the dark about his whereabouts. Sanford also said no one else accompanied him, the paper reported. The Republican governor and possible 2012 contender told the newspaper only that he took a drive along the coastline on his trip.

Sanford told The State the legislative session was difficult for him, particularly losing the fight over whether he should accept $700 million in federal stimulus money he wanted lawmakers to spend on debt instead of urgent budget needs. Watch what Sanford said about this trip »

Sanford also said he hadn't planned to return until Thursday, but came back earlier after his chief of staff told him the story of his whereabouts was drawing widespread media attention.

Sanford expressed surprise that the story was attracting such attention, saying it's not unusual for him to take such trips.

"I would get out of the bubble I am in," he said, according to the paper.

South Carolina Democratic Party Chair Carol Fowler said in a statement Wednesday it was the "height of irresponsibility for the governor to walk out on his solemn duty to the people of South Carolina.

"When it comes to the real needs and concerns of South Carolinians, Mark Sanford has been pretty much missing in action for the last six-and-a-half years. But it is not acceptable for him to be actually missing.

"However, as disturbing as it is to walk out on your responsibilities without telling anyone, what's more troubling is that the governor and his staff have been less than truthful about his whereabouts," the statement said.

Sanford's wife Jenny told CNN Tuesday she had not talked to her husband since he left last Thursday and did not know where he went.

"I am being a mom today. I have not heard from my husband. I am taking care of my children," she said outside the couple's beach home on Sullivan's Island, South Carolina.

Following confusion over his whereabouts, a Sanford spokesman said Monday that the governor had been hiking along the Appalachian Trail.

A black Chevy Suburban believed to have been used by Sanford to leave town was spotted Tuesday in the parking lot of Columbia Metropolitan Airport.

CNN was alerted to its location by a law enforcement official.

The SUV was outfitted with blue police lights and two-way radio. A parking permit for the school attended by Sanford's children was on the windshield.

State Sen. Jake Knotts, a fellow Republican and adversary of Sanford, said South Carolina law enforcement officials informed him Saturday that the governor had taken a South Carolina Law Enforcement Division vehicle on Thursday and had not yet returned.

"I found out that he was taking frequent trips at odd times of the night in a SLED car with no security," Knotts said. "He would be driving. I got wind that he had taken another one of these types of capers last Thursday, and that nobody knew who he was with."

Knotts added that on Saturday, he "was getting wind that he had not shown back up and nobody knew where he was."

He said a South Carolina Law Enforcement Division official told him Monday that Sanford had not returned.

"He needs to transfer the power and let the lieutenant governor, which the constitution requires, let him be the person that makes the decisions." Knotts said.

"My concern was, 'Who would be in charge should an emergency arrive for the safety of the people and citizens of the state?'"

Report: S.C. governor says he was in Argentina - CNN.com

Here's some responsible behavior for you.:roll: Bizarre behavior.

It was one of most-talked in subjects in Atlanta in recent days.

If he went to Buenos Aires, he must have been there for a valid reason, such as meeting with potential companies looking into expanding/locating operations in the State?

It would be interesting to see what he has to say at 2PM this afternoon.

It was one of most-talked in subjects in Atlanta in recent days.

If he went to Buenos Aires, he must have been there for a valid reason, such as meeting with potential companies looking into expanding/locating operations in the State?

It would be interesting to see what he has to say at 2PM this afternoon.

My question is, if he had a valid reason, why is it that his family, and his staff, had no idea where he was? And why did he lie about hiking on the Appalacian Trail? That's the bizarre part. Disappearing without explanation.

Yeah, I'm looking forward to his expanded explanation, as well.

At this point, we don't know what he is up to or what his agenda is.

But, I have to wonder - If he does have a valid reason then why did he have to be secretive about it? Something about this just does not add up to it. There has to be something else going on that is unknown to many.

The article states that it was not unusual of him to take out-of-state trips for whatever reason and I can understand that some of the time governors, senators, president, etc, etc would want to go out to have their "down" time to get a break but to disappear? There has to be a reason for it, if not for what it is intended to be, then how can we expect the Governor of South Carolina to be responsible enough to tend after his own state?

Agreed. Hopefully he will be more forthcoming in his press conference.

It don't affect his re-election so much because SC is very conservative state.

I just watched the press conference just moments ago and the Governor admitted that he had cheated on his wife and lied about the hiking trail in the Appalachian Mountain.

I just watched the press conference just moments ago and the Governor admitted that he had cheated on his wife and lied about the hiking trail in the Appalachian Mountain.

I KNEW IT! I was going to say - "ah..... an affair...." Dammit I wish I posted that earlier but I didn't want to be ridiculed :Oops:

I guess we now know what his motives were.:hmm:

I KNEW IT! I was going to say - "ah..... an affair...." Dammit I wish I posted that earlier but I didn't want to be ridiculed :Oops:

I don't think you would have been ridiculed for that speculation. I'd say it was what everyone suspected.

He's been a naughty boy, he should be spanked! :)

naughtywag_smilie.gif
Where's Bucket for punishment?

** it's a smiley shaking his finger with a grin, saying "naughty naughty!"

Yeah, Before the Press conference occurred - I had to wonder what it was all about and now after this, this is not impressive on his part.

As a Governor, He should be expected to uphold his position. In this case, I guess it didn't pan out well.

This is just in -- South Carolina governor admits extramarital affair – The CNN Wire - CNN.com Blogs

But of course, more information will fall in place as time progresses.

Agreed. There were just too many holes in his story. If he wanted to get caught, he did it just right.:P

now I have to find out if she's hot....... sorry I can't help it. you know me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back