Reintroduction and an Update!

mizerey

Reaction score
Hello again! Things have been crazy around the family so I haven't been on in a long while. I'm a single mom to a wonderful autistic little boy. I have been hoh since I was born. I have been wearing ha since my early 20's. Was given the option to go to the local deaf school but the Drs. convinced my mother that I'd never learn to speak. I struggled through school and I have managed alright. My hearing has steadily declined as I got older. I now lose more hearing at the rate of about 10db every 6 months. No one is sure why. I will be taking ASL classes at the local deaf school in March.

Last week we found out my eldest niece has suddenly lost most of her hearing. During the test her she never raised her hand at all for the worst ear. She's scared and has been calling me ever since. My sister called me and asked me if I thought that a CI would be best for her. I told her that it would be best to leave that up to Tasha. She's 6, I think she is old enough to help make that decision. My sister, luckily agreed. We also suspect that my youngest niece is hoh. We are waiting for her mother to get her tested. It seems like all the first born females in my family are hoh. None of the boys are affected. Could it be genetics?

On top of all that my mother was diagnosed with breast cancer back in May. I have been very busy taking her to all her appointments and helping her keep track of everything.

Well I just wanted to stop in and say hello!

Hi!!!! Welcome back!
a
st week we found out my eldest niece has suddenly lost most of her hearing. During the test her she never raised her hand at all for the worst ear. She's scared and has been calling me ever since. My sister called me and asked me if I thought that a CI would be best for her. I told her that it would be best to leave that up to Tasha. She's 6, I think she is old enough to help make that decision. My sister, luckily agreed. We also suspect that my youngest niece is hoh.
Good on your sister for calling and asking your opinon as a Deaf adult! What a great resource she has!!!! bet she's asking a lot of questions and stuff.
Also, good that your sister thinks that your niece should help decide about a CI. I do have to say I agree with you!!!

Big Smile

Well with all that's going on you need a break once in a while aqnd a laugh. so when you can and I can't imagine thats easy...come on in and read some jokes if nothign else. Laugh. As you know there are all types of ppl here so ask any qq and you are bound to get a bunch of answers...smile..welcome again and Peace to you..M♥:wave:

:welcome: back to AllDeaf forum. I hope you can stay longer while you read and post with us. See you around here. :wave:

I hope I can stick around more too. My niece will be getting tubes in her ears to help "settle" her allergies. I'm not too keen on this because the surgery traumatized me as a young child. The ENT says he doesn't feel it will improve her hearing but will improve the pressure against her ear drums. She goes in on the 10th of Feb. She sees the audiologist 2 weeks after that to check her hearing and I guess we go from there.

Back