RAM Memory

Swashy

Reaction score
Hello. I want to know what wrong with the computer of desktop. I order new ram memory "PC133" then I add new of two inside of Gateway. Then I turn on. What happen with this? Just blank. and I try old ram memory back and still blank what happen?
If you know about it let me know. :( I try give my nephew be happy.

Is it in backwards? Is it the right slot or type? How old is your computer? It could be anything. :dunno:

you cannot any buy memory for Gateway, Dell, HP,they will not work but only for PC Clone,

What your Gateway model?
What did you bought memory, what company and model?

you check
exp: if you got PNY Memory? exp I want buy PNY
must look at
PNY
click Gateway, click DEsktop/servers, after what your model click select it and you write model memory and go store or order!

Hello. I want to know what wrong with the computer of desktop. I order new ram memory "PC133" then I add new of two inside of Gateway. Then I turn on. What happen with this? Just blank. and I try old ram memory back and still blank what happen?

Go to Memory upgrades, flash media, and usb storage at Crucial.com

Just scan your PC and it would tell you about right model on RAM.

If you take new all ram off and put old ram back and still blank. Make sure you push ram hard to the motherboard till u feel click. If no luck then you killed the motherboard by static or wrong ram.

If you take new all ram off and put old ram back and still blank. Make sure you push ram hard to the motherboard till u feel click. If no luck then you killed the motherboard by static or wrong ram.

Also check the BIOS battery and reset the BIOS by jumper. This will help clear out problems. Some models requires resetting BIOS after upgrade to clear out problems. Sometime old PC had dead BIOS battery. Just replace it and it'll boot up normally.

I have two Gateway system that uses PC100 RAM. It was odd something brand name memory and still boots right up no matter what. I do not agree that Gateway must have specific brand memory stick. I have thrown in odd brand memory sticks on all old Packard Bell, Compaq, Dell, IBM (Levono) and it still boots up and run fine. I just found (2nd Gateway) 800mhz Gateway system w/ PC100 256 (two 128mb sticks) installed from other subdivision that someone left it at the curbside LOL. It boots fine and have WinXP installed and some personal info in there. I cleaned it up and fix it up for my kids to play with. I added another 128mb stick (odd brand name) and it still boot right up and currently have 384mb LOL.

My old Giga-Byte 7VAX system does have issue with 1GB PC3200 (400mhz) DDR ram memory stick according to Giga-byte online memory upgrade information.. It specified Hynix, Samsung, and some specific brand of memory that would work with it for 1GB. I did install 1GB odd brand and it boots up and ran XP fine.

It had to do with BIOS update ( I've updated BIOS several time on 7VAX). That resolve memory stick issue.

Catty

That's right about BIOS. If you put old hardware back and still blank so reset still not solved the problem.

I see old ram name Hynix and New one dont have say it....
Old Ram is
"Hynix"
PC133U-333-542
128 MB
133MHz

New Ram is
only say "PC133"
256 MB

Computer Store say it will fine same PC133. Then what going on...

Do I have to buy new MotherBoard? Cuz I try BIOS still blank. It as not sovle problem...

Catty, I told ya.

swashy, Maybe you have bad luck with that. Must be died due static.

It's up to you for buy the new motherboard with new cpu and new ram.

Yeah... Or maybe better buy New Desktop as soon. Cuz my bother's computer is very old. and his friend give him as free.
Thank for help.

Yeah... Or maybe better buy New Desktop as soon. Cuz my bother's computer is very old. and his friend give him as free.
Thank for help.

Yup sound like it. Hope you could refund your new PC133 or sell it. good luck buying new pc!

Catty

:crazy:
Catty, I told ya.

swashy, Maybe you have bad luck with that. Must be died due static.

It's up to you for buy the new motherboard with new cpu and new ram.

:giggle::giggle: Yup, I just tried to give suggestion...:giggle::crazy:

Also Swashy mentioned that he bought PC133 256mb. I remember that some mobo can't take PC133 256mb memory due to BIOS restriction. My friend bought pair of PC133 256mb sticks and his system won't boot up. He replaced with old one and it boots up fine. I told him it's a BIOS issue tho.

Catty

:crazy:

:giggle::giggle: Yup, I just tried to give suggestion...:giggle::crazy:

Also Swashy mentioned that he bought PC133 256mb. I remember that some mobo can't take PC133 256mb memory due to BIOS restriction. My friend bought pair of PC133 256mb sticks and his system won't boot up. He replaced with old one and it boots up fine. I told him it's a BIOS issue tho.

Catty

I try old ram memory back and still blank

He replaced with old one and it boots up fine.

Both are same mean. You should know that.

I try old ram memory back and still blank

He replaced with old one and it boots up fine.

Both are same mean. You should know that.

:lol: If only some mobo upgraded BIOS, this would resolve Memory issue and would work with 256mb PC133 ram. Few OLD mobo would work. Most don't..

I did researched his mobo configuration online. It did say can take 1gb max. So he tried upgrading to 512mb (pair of 256mb) and it won't work. It mentioned about BIOS update to fix memory. He didn't bother reflash his mobo BIOS tho. He's afraid to do that. That explains why it won't boot up with new one, just old one. Right now, his mobo is shot and planned to replace with newer mobo anyway. LOL.

PS: I have lot of junk mobo and many works and I have too many EDO memory sticks and 386 or 486 memory sticks too. It's soo obsolete. I don't know if I should sell it in Ebay or not.. I'm going to junk 1/2 of mobo and keep rest for my sons for educational purpose and they can fry a board however they wish LOL.

Catty

Check for loose wires, connections, etc, something may have gotten loose in the process. Did you insert the power cable back on?

Back