Radios for C.I. patients?

Lou82

Reaction score
Hi I was wondering if there are any radios that work well with Cochlea implants, i am looking to get one for my mom. She has a C.I. and hears a normal radio well but she does miss things from time to time and if there's static.

Was just wondering if any of you have anything that works well.

thanks

I don't listen to the radio much, but I do listen to an Ipod. That way I control what songs are on it. With an Ipod you can connect with the direct cable(Adanced Bionics) or use the ear plugs. I hope this helps.

Ummm....good question.

Obviously, the better the quality (of radio) the better the sound. But if one gets down to the nitty gritty, it is the reception that really matters. I don't think one can "pinpoint" which radio is better for a CI as everybody has different maps. It is more of a personal preference.

Another option to eliminate static, one can always try satellite radio. Of course, that can be pricey.

It sounds like you have different modes on your CI.

I have a digital BTE hearing aid with 3 modes. The first is regular, the second is focused, and the third is Music/TV mode. Since it is a digital hearing aid, it is designed to reduce feedback. The first and second modes are set that way. However, music and sounds on television are often considered feedback and are toned down a lot. So, not much is heard. That's where the third mode comes in. The third mode is like an analog hearing aid... without reducing or blocking out feedback.

You can connect the IPOD to the CI device?

I have advanced Bionic Harmony processor and I can change my ear hook and connect directly to the Ipod. I also can just put the same ear plugs that others use and I can hear on it too.

I agree it is the reception with radios. I don't listen to the radio too much. I tend to listen to cds or my ipod.

Lou82,

What CI brand does your mother have? I have the Nucleus 24 (with 3G BTE processor) in my left ear and the Nucleus Freedom in my right ear. With both processors I am able to connect directly to any portable audio device (radio, iPod, etc.) using an audio cable from Cochlear. To find out more about the audio cable, visit:

Cochlear: World leader in advanced hearing solutions. Nucleus cochlear implants and the Baha system.

If you let us know what CI brand your mother has, I and others here on the board may be better able to assist you.

Hope this helps. :)

Lou82,

My daughter has a ci, Nucleus, and who too listens mostly to the ipod but she just puts the earphone over the microphone. When she plays her stereo or itunes through her laptop or car radio she listens with her ci.

If you are looking for a good radio for your mom, try bose. I (am hearing) have one and the sound is very good.

good luck,
Rick

Lou82,

In addition to Bose, you may also want to consider the GE Superadio I, 2 or 3. Although these models are no longer being produced, you can find them on auction sites like eBay.

I own two GE Superadio 2's and can tell you from personal experience that the reception and sound quality are excellent.

You might also consider searching eBay for vintage radios from the 1970's and 1980's as well since they have better (i.e. stronger/clearer) tuners than what was/is available during the 1990's and today. Some of the brands you might want to look at include Panasonic, JVC and Sony.

Hope this helps.

Lou82,

My daughter has a ci, Nucleus, and who too listens mostly to the ipod but she just puts the earphone over the microphone. When she plays her stereo or itunes through her laptop or car radio she listens with her ci.

If you are looking for a good radio for your mom, try bose. I (am hearing) have one and the sound is very good.

good luck,
Rick

I agree with him on using Bose. I have bose speakers hooked up through my cable box and holy cow, sound awesome compared to my surround sound speakers I use to have!

Back