questions for those who wear hearing aids

SLPyHollow

Reaction score
OK, first of all, I'm sorry if current or previous classmates have posted these questions to your forum before--obviously this assignment has been the same for several years now. Feel free to redirect me. However, I'm only looking for at least two responses (though more would be great--I'm genuinely curious about this), and would really appreciate your time. I am currently taking an online class to finish up my graduate requirements to become a speech-language pathologist, and am looking to get some feedback from individuals who wear hearing aids. If you or your child wears hearing aids, I would greatly appreciate your time to answer the following 7 short questions. Thank you so much for helping me with my education.

1. How long have you worn your hearing aids?
2. For how long before you got your hearing aids did you suspect you had a hearing loss?
3. How long do you wear your hearing aids each day?
4. Do you feel like you get benefit from your hearing aids?
5. What complaints do you have about your hearing aids?
6. Do you feel like your hearing aids have lived up to what your audiologist or hearing aid dealer told you they would do?
7. Did you get your hearing aids from an audiologist or a hearing aid dealer?

Be sure to read this first...

http://www.alldeaf.com/introduce-yo...iews-questions-surveys-please-read-first.html

Anyways, I've worn hearing aids for 34 years. Didn't suspect it cuz I got sick and became deaf from it. Every day? Almost. It's usually when I'm outside in public. When I'm at home, I may take it off depending on my mood. I benefit a lot from my hearing aid. No complaints really. Do they meet up to the expectations as mentioned by my audiologists? Yes. Did I get them from my audiologist? Yes.

1. How long have you worn your hearing aids?

Since age 4.

2. For how long before you got your hearing aids did you suspect you had a hearing loss?

I wasn't aware I was deaf.

3. How long do you wear your hearing aids each day?

Depends - on average about 12 hours a day. Other days, only 4 or 5. I don't wear them at home.

Yes.

Blisters where the molds rub against the cartilage. Feedback.

6. Do you feel like your hearing aids have lived up to what your audiologist or hearing aid dealer told you they would do?

How do you mean? My audiologist never told me to expect anything except that I would hear sound.

No way I would buy them from a hearing aid dealer. There's a process to getting outfitted with hearing aids that a salesman could not do. I get them from my audiologist and also, I get my hearing aids free in Canada, one free hearing aid every seven years and that can only be accomplished through the audiologist.

#1......body H.I. put on at 12yro.......started wearing B.T.E.at 32yro.......now 63yro

#2......born deaf and became aware people were suppose to "move their lips but did not understand why" until I was seven. At that age I was made aware I could not talk was because I could not hear.

#3.......from get-up to go-to-bed, just like my glasses.

#4......yes, absolutely

#5......lack of improvement and development in the field of H.A.s
battery life
Repair cost
sweat protection

#6......do not ever, never use a hearing aid dealer
my audiologist is outstanding due to the fact that we work as a team
Whenever there is a problem, I can get instant help from the staff
my audiologist keeps up with the latest developments and keeps me informed
even to the point of allowing new to read professional research

#7.......see above...additional comment...I and my audiologist are totally apposed to C.I.s

Last edited:
1. How long have you worn your hearing aids? 30 years.

About a year.

3. How long do you wear your hearing aids each day? All day long, from when I get dressed in the a.m. to when I go to bed. I guess about 16 - 17 hours a day.

Definitely.

The "automatic" programming sometimes doesn't end up in the program I would prefer. Voices can sound a bit tinny. Can't cope with car radio very well when car is in motion, especially with top down.

Pretty much, yes. She has more faith in the "automatic" part of it than I do, though.

Audiologist. I got my very first aids, 30 years ago, from a hearing aid dealer, not knowing any better at the time. They were OK and met my need at the time.

However, since then I've always gone to an audiologist. An audi seems more likely to keep up with new technology. That said, most audis only are experts in perhaps two, maybe sometimes three, brands, so in fact, if you want to shop around between brands, probably you'll end up going to more than one audi, anyway.

Hope that helps.

OK, first of all, I'm sorry if current or previous classmates have posted these questions to your forum before--obviously this assignment has been the same for several years now. Feel free to redirect me. However, I'm only looking for at least two responses (though more would be great--I'm genuinely curious about this), and would really appreciate your time. I am currently taking an online class to finish up my graduate requirements to become a speech-language pathologist, and am looking to get some feedback from individuals who wear hearing aids. If you or your child wears hearing aids, I would greatly appreciate your time to answer the following 7 short questions. Thank you so much for helping me with my education.

1. How long have you worn your hearing aids? since I was 6 months old
2. For how long before you got your hearing aids did you suspect you had a hearing loss? nope but my parents suspected that I wasn't respond to my name being called on
3. How long do you wear your hearing aids each day? everyday!
4. Do you feel like you get benefit from your hearing aids? yes. but from the Oticon Gaia at the speech in noise mode? no. I switched to new aids this year :)
5. What complaints do you have about your hearing aids? my old Oticons doesn't have a VC like my new one does
6. Do you feel like your hearing aids have lived up to what your audiologist or hearing aid dealer told you they would do? yep!
7. Did you get your hearing aids from an audiologist or a hearing aid dealer? both LOL

Wow, thank you so much for all of your responses, everyone! It's great to get so much input.

also, thanks for redirecting me to the thread re: questions like this. i understand how they could become repetitive and annoying on a forum such as this, and i appreciate your time all the more in answering them because of that.

so my first general thank you post didn't appear for some reason, so just to reiterate--thank you everyone for so many responses! it's great to hear a variety of perspectives. if you're curious my assignment is to take two issues that you all addressed in your answers and propose possible solutions.

1. How long have you worn your hearing aids? since i was 8, so 14 years
2. For how long before you got your hearing aids did you suspect you had a hearing loss? my parents knew i had hearing issues since I was born, we couldn't afford them, they just told me to read lips, and I had enough hearing that I learned speach. but when I was 8 we found out about a program that gave hearing aids to children.
3. How long do you wear your hearing aids each day? unless i'm in the shower or asleep they are on
4. Do you feel like you get benefit from your hearing aids? sometimes, Its easier to hear background noises, its def different then when i'm HA free. Understanding speech isn't always easier, but that in conjunction with trying to read lips, its easier to communicate with the hearing world
5. What complaints do you have about your hearing aids? they can get VERY uncomfortable. on days when i'm just at home, unless I need them on, sometimes my ears need a break
6. Do you feel like your hearing aids have lived up to what your audiologist or hearing aid dealer told you they would do? yes, I've always been told I will still be HoH, that its not a fix all
7. Did you get your hearing aids from an audiologist or a hearing aid dealer? audi

Wow its great all answers are very good and give very useful information about hearing aid. Thanks for sharing this topic with us..

Back