questions about CI pre- and post-surgery

TheKnightRider

Reaction score
Hello, my name is Paul, Thank you in advance for responding! :wave: I searched through the first five pages of posts but could not find a thread like this one.

I am a longtime hearing-aid user who is scheduled for CI surgery in about one week from today! I have worn HA in both ears since I was 6 years old and have a progressive sensorineural hearing loss. Now, with an estimated 90% hearing loss in my left ear, I hope that the upcoming Nucleus Freedom implant would allow me to have much better hearing so that I can hear what I have been missing all these years. (I would have preferred the Nucleus 5 but I can upgrade to the externals at a later date.) The hearing in my right ear, at 50% loss, however, is still good enough for continued use of my digital ReSound hearing aide.

I have a few questions to ask my fellow members about what to expect in the days immediately following my surgery.

1) I know that I should avoid non-steroidal anti-inflammatory medicines such as aspirin, Motrin / Advil, before the surgery, but what about after surgery? I expect to have some tenderness and pain on the left side of my head for a few days after surgery. Do you recommend any specific pain medication (like Tylenol caplets) to reduce the pain? Does the pain go away after a week?

2) Are there any special vitamins I can take to reduce pain, swelling, and help the surgical area heal? Any dietary changes I can make (even now) to encourage healing?

3) I got my hair cut really short on the sides now, to prepare myself because I'm not allowed to wash my hair for a week!! I know the immediate area will be shaved and I will have a scar like Jack Nicholson's character in "The Bucket List." How do I handle hair washing or normal brushing? My dad says that there is "dry" shampoo in the store but I have never heard of it. If it's 2-3 weeks after surgery, do I need to be especially careful brushing my hair?

4) I presume I won't be able to sleep on the left side of my head (especially during the first week) and, after that, I will feel the internal implant pressing against the skull. But after the first week, I hope that my sleeping habits will return to normal.

5) Eating habits? Should I stock up on yogurt or applesauce for a few days after surgery? I probably won't feel like eating anything, so eating yogurt or applesauce may help. I will be sleeping most of the time!!

These are the main questions that I have. I appreciate your responses! :hmm:

http://www.alldeaf.com/hearing-aids-cochlear-implants/57860-pre-post-ci-surgery-tips.html

http://www.alldeaf.com/hearing-aids-cochlear-implants/64788-my-first-appointment-ci.html

Hello, my name is Paul, Thank you in advance for responding! :wave: I searched through the first five pages of posts but could not find a thread like this one.

I am a longtime hearing-aid user who is scheduled for CI surgery in about one week from today! I have worn HA in both ears since I was 6 years old and have a progressive sensorineural hearing loss. Now, with an estimated 90% hearing loss in my left ear, I hope that the upcoming Nucleus Freedom implant would allow me to have much better hearing so that I can hear what I have been missing all these years. (I would have preferred the Nucleus 5 but I can upgrade to the externals at a later date.) The hearing in my right ear, at 50% loss, however, is still good enough for continued use of my digital ReSound hearing aide.

I have a few questions to ask my fellow members about what to expect in the days immediately following my surgery.

1) I know that I should avoid non-steroidal anti-inflammatory medicines such as aspirin, Motrin / Advil, before the surgery, but what about after surgery? I expect to have some tenderness and pain on the left side of my head for a few days after surgery. Do you recommend any specific pain medication (like Tylenol caplets) to reduce the pain? Does the pain go away after a week?

2) Are there any special vitamins I can take to reduce pain, swelling, and help the surgical area heal? Any dietary changes I can make (even now) to encourage healing?

3) I got my hair cut really short on the sides now, to prepare myself because I'm not allowed to wash my hair for a week!! I know the immediate area will be shaved and I will have a scar like Jack Nicholson's character in "The Bucket List." How do I handle hair washing or normal brushing? My dad says that there is "dry" shampoo in the store but I have never heard of it. If it's 2-3 weeks after surgery, do I need to be especially careful brushing my hair?

4) I presume I won't be able to sleep on the left side of my head (especially during the first week) and, after that, I will feel the internal implant pressing against the skull. But after the first week, I hope that my sleeping habits will return to normal.

5) Eating habits? Should I stock up on yogurt or applesauce for a few days after surgery? I probably won't feel like eating anything, so eating yogurt or applesauce may help. I will be sleeping most of the time!!

1) I don't do painkillers, they make you annoyingly drowsy, and after the first day or 2 the worst of the pain is gone anyway. But if you're a surgery n00b, I don't know, they might supply you with painkillers. Tylenol's usually good, yeah. Pain gone after a week, yeah.

2) Again, not big on meds, and I just let it heal normally... :P

3) You're going to be home with a huge bandage on your head for a week, so don't worry too much about your hair. Your doctor will provide you with instructions on when you are allowed to wash your hair, and when you are allowed to remove the bandages. If I remember correctly, I was allowed to wash my hair after like 3 days, while I still had the bandage on. I think. But yeah, you'll probably get instructions on that before or after the surgery.

4. I don't know anything about feeling the implant press against the skull, if I experienced this, it definitely wasn't significant. You should be able to sleep fine, but yes, avoid sleeping on the implanted side so long as it's sore. You'll probably be able to tell, for yourself, when it's okay to sleep normally again. Just be gentle.

5. You might not be able to taste anything! It took me 3 weeks to get my sense of taste back, and it wasn't back fully for three months after surgery. Everything will (well, might) taste incredibly dull and you'll want to salt everything heavily. I took this opportunity to eat lots of VEGETABLES! But yes, for the first couple of days after surgery, your throat/mouth will be quite sore; yogurt, pudding, applesauce, ice cream (though there's no point if you can't taste it... boo), all good bets. Just buy enough for like 3 days, maybe.

You can choice Nucleus 5 if you want to.

You're right about lists. You can't take Advil, Aspirin in 2 weeks before surgery. You will have prescprion from doctor before surgery. It's Anti-bacteria pills in one day before surgery. After surgery you will take Anti-Nausea and painkiller for pain less. You better take it for few days before get regular tylenol. Because the painkiller can make you tired, drowsy and addict. Just be careful. The pain will get away in 1 to 2 weeks. It depend on your surgery.

You can't take vitamins supplement in 2 weeks before surgery. You have to wait until after surgery. You can take vitamins.

Your skin will cut on your behind the ear. Let your doctor shave some hair small size behind the ear. That is not bad. You can't wash your hair for few until you get your bandage off. You can try use special dry shampoo. I didn't like the oils on my hair. I must take my hair wash to avoid from water into my incision. You have to be careful. Yes, you have to be careful with brush your hair and not touch the incision.

You can't sleep on your implant head for 3 weeks. You have to wait until you return to post operation to get stitches and staples out. It depend on your implant's feel. Doctor will tell you to do. The post operation should be 1 week to 10 days.

You can eat anything you want. Do not eat too much sodium can cause bruise and swell in your eye shape and jaw. You have to be careful with hard food while you chew the food in your jaw. Because of sore and swell connection. The best to eat ice cream, soup, any kind of soft food.

Do not put the ice package on your implant skull. Just take the medicine for pain reliever. Hope you have a wish good luck with surgery. You will get recovery as well.

I was given Anti bios, Anti inflam, and Pain killers by my hospital (i am in UK) I stopped the pain killers few days after as I wasn't in any pain at all just tender but I could cope with it. I had to take Anti bios/inflam as they are pescription drugs and I had to finish the course

Plenty of rest!

I have mane of thick hair and it took damn more than a year for the hair to grow back! anyway i was very careful with brushing, my mum helped me with hair washing (4 days post op and every 3 days thereafter ) I cover the incison (my Incison was about 4 inches long) and mum carefully washes the rest. I was able to wash normally 2 weeks post op

I slept on my implant side first night of the op... only if it doesn't cause any discomfort then it's fine

I had very sore throat on one side post op (from the tube they insterted down my throat, i was under 4 full hours with my head turned left and weighed down to keep it still) I still ate normal food, first meal was sandwiches, what you had suggested is good idea just in case. Plenty of water/juice. I did find myself dozing in the afternoons for about 2 weeks then when the drugs finished, i was alert! so that must be the side effects

Hope that helps but each person's recovery is different. I wish you all the best of luck.

I have no regrets.

After about two 1/2 days, I didn't need anything and the pain was subsiding nicely.

TheKnightRider said:
I will defer to others on this one. I didn't do anything special with vitamins or other stuff.

TheKnightRider said:
I just cut my hair short right before surgery. That took care of that. Don't worry about your hair until you get the bandage off.

TheKnightRider said:

I had my CI on the right side. I couldn't sleep on that side for a couple of weeks. After that, I could sleep on it although I normally sleep on my left. :D

TheKnightRider said:

Food isn't a big issue other than at first. Eat easy at first and then go for it. The only issue you will probably have is the fact that your sense of taste will be off for a while. Everything tasted metallic for months for me. It took a long while before food tasted normally.

1) I know that I should avoid non-steroidal anti-inflammatory medicines such as aspirin, Motrin / Advil, before the surgery, but what about after surgery? I expect to have some tenderness and pain on the left side of my head for a few days after surgery. Do you recommend any specific pain medication (like Tylenol caplets) to reduce the pain? Does the pain go away after a week?I was sent home with pain meds but after the first day, I didn't need them.

I washed my hair 2 days after surgery. If you hit the incision with the brush or comb, you'll know it. :)

4) I presume I won't be able to sleep on the left side of my head (especially during the first week) and, after that, I will feel the internal implant pressing against the skull. But after the first week, I hope that my sleeping habits will return to normal. I couldn't sleep on the implanted side for 2 weeks, it was painful but by week 3, I was good to go.

5) Eating habits? Should I stock up on yogurt or applesauce for a few days after surgery? I probably won't feel like eating anything, so eating yogurt or applesauce may help. I will be sleeping most of the time!!Surgery didn't impact my appetite or taste buds. I think it varies by individual.

Good luck!

Thanks everyone!! My CI surgery this past Monday (two days ago) was successful! Even if I was groggy immediately afterwards, my surgeon gave me a thumbs-sign and I weakly responded the same way too! Being groggy seemed to be the most difficult thing for me post-surgery.

How long am I going to feel this slight vertigo? I'm on the antibiotic cefadroxil (2x day) but didn't feel the need to take the pain reliever (Tylenol with codeine) at all today! I am still feeling a slight vertigo sensation and this nauseousness may be a side effect of the antibiotic. Any idea how long this sensation will last? A week? Two weeks?

I am having the tape over the incision-area behind and above the ear removed next week. Are there any suggestions that I can provide to the surgeon that would reduce the number of hair follicles lost when the tape is removed? I know that some follicles will be lost but I am hoping to minimize this total number. If the surgeon used water to moisten the tape area before lifting the tape, would it loosen at least some of the adhesive? Any other ideas?

My hair has always been relatively short on the sides, as I never cared about the appearance of my hearing aides! (That was someone else's problem, so why should it be mine? haha) It's an excellent attitude to have too.

Back