Question for those who don't wear Hearing aids

Wearing Hearing aids for many years. Then VR bought new HA for me in 1991. One year later, I stopped wear it due of vertigo and tittinus.

Still decline on hearing aids if insurance coverage can provide for me.

Why should I wear hearing aids? Because society demands me to change myself to "fit n"? HAH! That's a laugh!

Lasza said:
Still decline on hearing aids if insurance coverage can provide for me.

Lasza -- health insurance doesnt cover for hearing aids nor do they cover for HA batteries -- i find that pretty stupid *smh*

:nana:
Vain said:
Why should I wear hearing aids? Because society demands me to change myself to "fit n"? HAH! That's a laugh!

Thank you thank you thank you!! I posted at another forum I go to about how Vocational Rehab and my family are pushing me to get hearing aids. I qualify for them free through the state. I am dreading getting them and don't understand why they should be requirement. If I know ASL which I do, if I can speech read fairly well, if I can talk if need to (although prefer sign over speech anyday), and if I have resources in the Deaf community, why hearing aid? It isn't like I need them in Deaf world anyway - everyone sign. As for home, I have vibrating baby monitor, there are flashing light indicators, and TTYs (I use my cell phone's text messaging feature). I just don't understand but I agreed (kinda have to). When I was pregnant, I was going to put my baby up for adoption. Now I change mind and have my baby now since February 17. They say if I can't take care of myself how can I care for baby? If person need glasses they get glasses so yeah.... um hello? There are many Deaf parents out there who raise hearing children (CODAS) just fine and they not hear either. What does hearing have to do with parenting or caring for self? If I like myself the way I am and am not without mode of communication or support then why push something I don't want? Oh well... I get them in next month probably make the hearing people happy but if I not like them I am not going to wear them (or turn them on). Sorry, but I happy to be just the way I am. :nana:

i think it's completly waste to have hearing aids or CI on deaf, all you being DEAF like natural person.. but myself i have CI but never use it.. it's completely wasted!!! just leave it alone..

the first time i wear a hearing aid when i was six ( i cant remember how old i am ? ) my mom took me to go to hearing test and new hearing aids with ear molds. then i wear a hearing aids and my mom turn radio on and it hurts both of my ears. i cant stand that sounds . so i rolled down the car window and threw the hearing aid on highway and it already crushed hearing aids and my mom pull off the highway and picked the hearing aid up on highway and my mom said why ? i told my mom i cant stand the sound and it hurts my ears so my mom tooked me go to hearing aids test again and it covered insurance with full ! i got another brand new hearing aid with ear mold and still hurt my ears and threw hearing aids on highway again. and my mom gave up and it stop take me to hearing aids.... i didnt wear a hearing aids for a long times since after the hearing aids crushed on highway ....

Never like to wear hearing aid..
I'd rather wear NONE on my ears.. Dunno why am I feel so picky!

In Ontario,Canada.. My hubby's benefits can coverage cost of hearing aid.. Only the benefits will pay 80% and my pocket has to pay 20%. Depend on their benefits and their work too. Too many Vary the companies who can coverage by benefits.

i think it interesting how much everyone doesnt like hearing aids but would wear if they free. hearing aids u can try and return. CI u cant. dont get surgery if u dont want CI. If heaing aids are too loud, the doctor should do hearing test with loud sounds so hearing aids set so they do not hurt you

I guess its up to the individual, I've worn aids for over 50 years and go by the adage of use it or loose it. My loss was due to loud noise in my very early 20's. It has gotten worse as I age and seems to be fading faster now. I am to get a C.I. next Thursday on right side. Fortunately or unfortunately depending on where you set, it's all about communication. It seems that a lot of communication is done by voice so one is at a distinct disadvantage if one can not communicate that way. I guess simular to those that never learned to read. Many more opportunities open to those that are multi lingual and a distinct advantage to those that can sign and speak as well.
Rampratt

i think it interesting how much everyone doesnt like hearing aids but would wear if they free. hearing aids u can try and return. CI u cant. dont get surgery if u dont want CI. If heaing aids are too loud, the doctor should do hearing test with loud sounds so hearing aids set so they do not hurt you

I guess its up to the individual, I've worn aids for over 50 years and go by the adage of use it or loose it. My loss was due to loud noise in my very early 20's. It has gotten worse as I age and seems to be fading faster now. I am to get a C.I. next Thursday on right side. Fortunately or unfortunately depending on where you set, it's all about communication. It seems that a lot of communication is done by voice so one is at a distinct disadvantage if one can not communicate that way. I guess simular to those that never learned to read. Many more opportunities open to those that are multi lingual and a distinct advantage to those that can sign and speak as well.
Rampratt

Didn't either of you notice that this is an almost 6 year old thread that she asked people the question for an article?

Six years old!!

Nope I did not notice and guess I better start looking huh? O well, even from old thread, new clothes can be made.

Back