question for those who can lip read and talk..

Don't mind you asking at all :). Bit of a long story but ... when I was a little girl in Brownies (like Girl Scouts), we were taught the ASL alphabet. This experience stuck with me in the back of my mind for many many years. Finally life gave me the time and opportunity to notice an ASL class advertised in my area and to take it. Deaf ASL teacher and I 'clicked' and became close friends, she dragged me (most willingly haha) to deaf events introducing me to many new friends, I ended up hired as editor for local deaf newsletter, often "interp" of sorts for her and a few others during meetings or doctors apptms (I am not fluent but I am free and willing lol) and ... now here I am :). Still learning, still challenged, and feeling Brownies was indeed a blessing despite the ugly uniforms and annoying songs :giggle:.

Very cool story how one thing led to another and here u are! Thx for sharing

Very generally put, yes Jazz. Like when you sign "big" your mouth makes "cha" shape and sound (if vocal), the "cha" is a mouth morpheme.

I think understand.

When in 'hearie' world feel like very serious in facial expression because paying *SO* close attention so can lip read. Feel have to be *SO* careful about using proper word. Boss even say to me one time, "Why so serious?" My reply? "I'm just trying to understand what is being said." And his wife best friend is ASL terp so you would think he understand.

'Deafie' Rebecca is *far* more expressive and can fully explain what in mind and heart much easier. Feel free when signing even though not fluent yet. :)

The transition is odd because feel like flip back and forth between social norm acceptable to 'hearie' and expressive social norm accepted in Deaf community. Is like you wear two hat. *This* hat you cannot be too facially expressive because hearies just don't normally over-exaggerate facial expressions. *Other* hat this is all just fine and seem normal and natural to me. Is like I come alive when signing.

Assistant at work is HoH/deaf in one ear and we kind of have our own sign that we do at office if not want others listen conversation. Or she and I both read lips. It is awesome!

I think hearie rebecca sits behind desk - clever, responsible, proper. Deafie rebecca dances on desk - clever, responsible but fun and relaxed. :giggle:

No, "cha" when signing the word "big". ie: Eat hamburger Big (+cha), full up me.

No, "cha" when signing the word "big". ie: Eat hamburger Big (+cha), full up me.

I don't get it. Do you mean changing the mouth shape as if you're about to pronounce "cha" (not actually pronouncing it though)?

How is it that the "sound shape" represents being full?

I don't get it. Do you mean changing the mouth shape as if you're about to pronounce "cha" (not actually pronouncing it though)?

I think the idea is to mouth "cha" while signing 'big' at the same time.

I think one possible translation of "Eat hamburger Big (+cha), full up me."

is "I ate a large hamburger and now I'm full."

But I don't understand how the morpheme 'cha' came about and how it got associated with the sign for 'big' or 'large'.

I even looked up to see if 'cha' is a French word because ASL is closely related to FSL, but 'cha' means 'each' in French -- so that's not it.

Maybe there is no reason? Not everything in language has a reason, I guess.

Ok DB let me try and make this clearer :). When you sign the word "big" the mouth shape/movement is "cha". The sign and the "cha" together means the word "big". So in english what that sentence said was, I ate a really big hamburger and now I am so full.

sign for eat then sign for hamburger then sign for big + "cha" at same time then sign for full-up then sign me. (Eat hamburger BIG, full up me).

I find that it is safe to assume that most deaf who lipread and talk are more considerable to the hearies learning Asl right? I find it cool so many want to learn, kinda makes it feel OK for making up for our familes that don't.

I think the idea is to mouth "cha" while signing 'big' at the same time.

I think one possible translation of "Eat hamburger Big (+cha), full up me."

is "I ate a large hamburger and now I'm full."

But I don't understand how the morpheme 'cha' came about and how it got associated with the sign for 'big' or 'large'.

I even looked up to see if 'cha' is a French word because ASL is closely related to FSL, but 'cha' means 'each' in French -- so that's not it.

Maybe there is no reason? Not everything in language has a reason, I guess.

Is very confusing that part. :eek3:

Ok DB let me try and make this clearer :). When you sign the word "big" the mouth shape/movement is "cha". The sign and the "cha" together means the word "big". So in english what that sentence said was, I ate a really big hamburger and now I am so full.

sign for eat then sign for hamburger then sign for big + "cha" at same time then sign for full-up then sign me. (Eat hamburger BIG, full up me).

But what does 'cha' have to do with being big and full? If word somehow connect dots to 'big' 'full' then understand. But do not make sense 'cha' somehow mean other thing. Make sense? :giggle:

I find that it is safe to assume that most deaf who lipread and talk are more considerable to the hearies learning Asl right? I find it cool so many want to learn, kinda makes it feel OK for making up for our familes that don't.

Do not understand bold.

"cha" only associated with big, not full, full was just the rest of the sentence I gave as an example. No idea how each morpheme because associated with the words or concepts they go with.

I think I need a picture of the "cha" face. What does it look like? Does it look like when I say the word "chat"?

Thanks for being a good sport and explaining it. :)

"cha" only associated with big, not full, full was just the rest of the sentence I gave as an example. No idea how each morpheme because associated with the words or concepts they go with.

:ty: again, Journey! :)

Back