question for those who can lip read and talk..

SilentRider

Reaction score
I've always wondered if it was just me or do other wearies who for many years learned to lipread and talk, at same time use asl with other ppl daily. In other words live in both worlds.. my question is do u feel like you are a different person when u talk and read lips, and write differently than how u would talk and type differently than how u would write.. lastingly feel like a different person when u use asl?

Its taken me a long time to notice that about myself.. I think when I talk and read lips im using so much of my brain that my heart doesn't come out. But in asl it opens up freely..
It's sad but I don't really feel like I know my mom or brothers since they don't sign.. but yet we exchange info. Anyways if u don't understand my question its OK.. it means it's just me lol. Thx for reading.

Due to my hearing I am the opposite but I think I understand what you are saying. My ASL skills are not fluent, they are a continual work in progress so, when I want to express myself (in detail), my signing is often stilted and I cannot seem to fully express everything I want to. On the other hand, when I talk or write, things flow much easier. For me, english is natural but ASL often requires me to think in a way that is not natural to me and that can make it very hard to say what I want to say. Is this kind of what you mean (in an opposite way)?

Nice to hear from an opposite view! Hmmm good question.. yeah I have to also display the hearing world mannerisms otherwise I'd be looked at like an retard or jerk lol.. so I guess you are in similar shoes when around deaf culture too huh? Thx for sharing

Yes we are often in similar shoes even though the labels on our shoes are different ;-).

I think this is a good question for someone who is a CODA or Interpreter. There are a lot of CODA who can hear and talk fine (they go mainstream) but raised on ASL all their life at home.

Here is one example of a very fluent CODA, he is hearing of course.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sn2k76xmTSM]ASL Illiteracy Amongst Codas - YouTube[/ame]

I don't know ASL well enough to answer your question perfectly.

But when I'm talking, I'm trying to be very careful not to say something that doesn't match with the hearies conversation. I actually am more inclined to restrain myself because I'll never hear the whole conversation; maybe 3 out of ten words at best. And I have to second-guess myself whether those are really the words I thought I heard. Then layering lipreading on top of that is an art for sure.

I am not as eloquent or witty when talking like I might sound here when I'm typing this out. Except among some friends and family who know me. But even then, I'm not as verbose. I don't feel like I can take that chance when speaking.

I have met deafies a few times now, this year. And even though I don't know ASL well enough to understand more than a few signs of their conversation, I feel very relaxed among them, for the most part. I'm not bothered that I don't know what they are saying, because I know it is just a matter of learning the language. It is visual, so I know it doesn't rely on my hearing and that makes me much more relaxed. I imagine that once I learn ASL well enough, they won't be able to "shut me up". :lol:

My two cents FWIW.

I was raised oral and never taught sign.

Even though I and my family spoke English, I know that I never communicated really well with them when I was a child -- just on a very superficial level. This is because I had to strain so hard to understand what was being said that I was too mentally exhausted to get the deeper meaning and nuances.

And that was when I was communicating one on one with them. When I was a child, I was never part of a family conversation -- my hearing aid just wasn't good enough for that.

Journey, cool I learned to lipread and talk for many reasons but 2 high on my list was to be able to communicate with family and that at a young age I noticed with a interpreter u are only as good as the terp is. And there's no guarantee u will get a good one. So I didn't trust them enough. Got more respect and info doing it w/out one.. its alot of work lol.. so what got u into asl? If u don't mind.

I don't know ASL well enough to answer your question perfectly.

But when I'm talking, I'm trying to be very careful not to say something that doesn't match with the hearies conversation. I actually am more inclined to restrain myself because I'll never hear the whole conversation; maybe 3 out of ten words at best. And I have to second-guess myself whether those are really the words I thought I heard. Then layering lipreading on top of that is an art for sure.

I am not as eloquent or witty when talking like I might sound here when I'm typing this out. Except among some friends and family who know me. But even then, I'm not as verbose. I don't feel like I can take that chance when speaking.
U
I have met deafies a few times now, this year. And even though I don't know ASL well enough to understand more than a few signs of their conversation, I feel very relaxed among them, for the most part. I'm not bothered that I don't know what they are saying, because I know it is just a matter of learning the language. It is visual, so I know it doesn't rely on my hearing and that makes me much more relaxed. I imagine that once I learn ASL well enough, they won't be able to "shut me up". :lol:

Lol. Ur funny and its nice to know you're trying even though it takes time to learn.

For me, I consider myself "Late ASL'ed" because I only started learning about ASL in 2008-09 after I joined this forum for some time. I don't have enough experience and vocabulary to fluidly express my ASL thinking, only basic conversation. I grew up oral mainstream too so that was my main and easier method of expression in communication.

I can tell you with my experience so far yes I do try to think differently when I sign in ASL. I try to shorten statements to as short as possible to make it easily understood, but I sign in PSE when I have a harder time trying to express myself.

With oral/writing I am used to this method, so I tend to write verbosely with descriptive sentences. When I speak, I don't talk this much unless it is a notable speech.

I also speak and communicate in other languages, like in Mandarin or Japanese. When I use those language it's different structure than ASL and english too.

I think this is a good question for someone who is a CODA or Interpreter. There are a lot of CODA who can hear and talk fine (they go mainstream) but raised on ASL all their life at home.

Here is one example of a very fluent CODA, he is hearing of course.

ASL Illiteracy Amongst Codas - YouTube

Wowzer! That guy gave me goosebumps.. yep he knows thanks for the excellent YouTube video nashio

For me, I consider myself "Late ASL'ed" because I only started learning about ASL in 2008-09 after I joined this forum for some time. I don't have enough experience and vocabulary to fluidly express my ASL thinking, only basic conversation. I grew up oral mainstream too so that was my main and easier method of expression in communication.

I can tell you with my experience so far yes I do try to think differently when I sign in ASL. I try to shorten statements to as short as possible to make it easily understood, but I sign in PSE when I have a harder time trying to express myself.

With oral/writing I am used to this method, so I tend to write verbosely with descriptive sentences. When I speak, I don't talk this much unless it is a notable speech.

I also speak and communicate in other languages, like in Mandarin or Japanese. When I use those language it's different structure than ASL and english too.

You're awesome to know several languages .. I'd love to learn another. Maybe one day ill learn a different sign Lang.

Don't mind you asking at all :). Bit of a long story but ... when I was a little girl in Brownies (like Girl Scouts), we were taught the ASL alphabet. This experience stuck with me in the back of my mind for many many years. Finally life gave me the time and opportunity to notice an ASL class advertised in my area and to take it. Deaf ASL teacher and I 'clicked' and became close friends, she dragged me (most willingly haha) to deaf events introducing me to many new friends, I ended up hired as editor for local deaf newsletter, often "interp" of sorts for her and a few others during meetings or doctors apptms (I am not fluent but I am free and willing lol) and ... now here I am :). Still learning, still challenged, and feeling Brownies was indeed a blessing despite the ugly uniforms and annoying songs :giggle:.

My two cents FWIW.

I was raised oral and never taught sign.

Even though I and my family spoke English, I know that I never communicated really well with them when I was a child -- just on a very superficial level. This is because I had to strain so hard to understand what was being said that I was too mentally exhausted to get the deeper meaning and nuances.

And that was when I was communicating one on one with them. When I was a child, I was never part of a family conversation -- my hearing aid just wasn't good enough for that.

:( Christmas for me was hanging around after the presents were opened and heading to my room after a while of hearing nothing but, "Wah, wah wah. Wah WAH wah cookie? Do wah that wah-wah?" One-on-one, I could follow conversation, but it was strained and very difficult. I missed tons of conversation around the dinner table. Totally understand. :(

Well - I lipread and talk, but mainly due to being raised oral. I taught myself to lipread starting at age 7 when I was told that eventually I would lose all my hearing. I am learning ASL and I have found that I do mouth out the words as I sign. People in my Deaf club don't like that. They want morphemes only and not words. (not sure what is meant there).

Since I don't use HA's or CI's I have to rely on lipreading in all situations unless I am at my Deaf Club.

Morphemes, if I understand correctly, would be something like:

Word: Dreaming, Morpheme: Dream

Word: Thinking, Morpheme: Thought or Idea

The smallest simplist word that is the root concept, I suppose.

Kristina, if they are referring to mouth morpheme, they are talking about a particular shape or movement the mouth makes to complete a sign or concept.

Last edited:
Kristina, if they are referring to mouth morpheme, they are talking about a particular shape or movement the mouth makes to complete a sign or concept.

Ahhh, I see! Totally different than what I thought. Interesting...

DB, what you thought are morphemes (ie: dream) is right too (there are a few different types of them) :). Like "cat" is a free morpheme, you cant break that word down any further than it is. Ack maybe I am just confusing you ...

I'm sure someone here, can provide you with a good link or clear explanation. My mind is absent of one at the moment :-/.

Last edited:

So something like sucking in your cheeks when signing skinny or thin?

Back