Question about tinnitus in non-dhh people...

Rose Immortal

Reaction score
I was wondering...can tinnitus occur without any hearing loss whatsoever? I've had it ever since I was little--I had a lot of ear infections that I think could've done it. My sinuses always seem to be a bit clogged and they drain into my ears.

Can hearing people have chronic tinnitus without any loss? I mean, I don't think I've lost any hearing at all, but I was wondering if anybody has any information (preferably with sources) that can confirm this. I'm starting to think it's my lovely sinus congestion that's at fault... ;)

To answer your questions...

1) Yes, very much so. It is typically a form of self defense for your hearing system that something is stressing it when you hear (usually loud noises). Any normal hearing person will note a ringing in the ears after exposure to very loud noises. Usually, it will quickly dissipate and go away. Repetitive rounds of unsafe noises typically exacerbates the problem.

2) My understanding it is possible as tinnitus is not always due to loud noises. Studies have shown that it is a real noise which is really interesting.

The other thing that can cause tinnitus is impacted cerumen - that is, earwax that is pushed inside the ear against the ear drum. This is a common problem for HA users like myself, especially during ear infections, but it can happen to anyone.

If you don't have any holes in your eardrum (i.e., from tubes, even if they've fallen out, or from a rupture during an ear infection - ask a GP to check if you're not sure, as getting liquid in an ear with a ruptured eardrum can be very dangerous), then you can probably treat impacted cerumen at home using an irrigating kit you can get at the drug store. Otherwise, an ENT or otologist can curette the ears and/or suction them.

EDIT: Your mention of sinus infection suggests that this possibility is quite likely. Also, the biggest predictor of ear infections is previous e.i.s, so your childhood history is also quite suggestive.

Of course, IANAD.

sr171soars (Mr. Spy-Plane? ;) )--

Once or twice after a loud concert, I've heard a much worse ringing that does go away. I'm not a big concert-goer, though, and you can bet when I go to my first metal concert (whenever that is), I will be the dork with the big bright earplugs. ;)

When you say "a real noise", do you mean real as in that the nerve is active and the brain is receiving something, even though it's internally-generated? That's interesting!

Ismi--

It so happens I go to the doctor for a regular checkup next week, and I will certainly ask for her to take a special look at that.

My mom told me when I asked about this that when I was little, I used to have to get my ears irrigated after infections--she said I'd scream and cry when it was done...I must've blocked out the memories of that part. All I remember is picking up that antibiotic that tasted like bubble gum...God only knows how many times I had to do that!! (Oh my...I hope those kits you're talking about from the drugstore aren't as excruciatingly painful as this story suggests...)

The sinuses aren't messed up due to an infection, I don't think. Knowing me it's probably allergies...they run in the family.

There's a background ring I think I've always had and always will, thanks to the childhood infections. But I definitely want to take good care of myself so it always stays below a dull roar. ;)

Thanks, guys...knowing this makes me feel a lot better.

Rose Immortal said:

Once or twice after a loud concert, I've heard a much worse ringing that does go away. I'm not a big concert-goer, though, and you can bet when I go to my first metal concert (whenever that is), I will be the dork with the big bright earplugs. ;)

When you say "a real noise", do you mean real as in that the nerve is active and the brain is receiving something, even though it's internally-generated? That's interesting!

Shhhh!, you guessed my moniker...first one too! It is nice to meet an intelligent person... :D

Yea, a real noise. The medical establishment has been definitely intrigued by this. Gives new meaning to telling somebody especially a child "Ahhh, you didn't hearing anything...now go back to sleep!" ;)

Rose,

The answer to your questions is yes. I'm hearing, and I also suffer from tinnitus. I have chronic sinusitis, and that is thought to be the cause. I also suffer from trapped earwax in the ears, and that probably doesn't help.

Also, I was hospitalized back in Oct, and again, in Dec with two serious infections. I was treated with antibiotics that is known to be toxic to hearing. During my treatment with these drugs ( the first treatment lasting 5 wks, the second lasting 10 days), I suffered horrible tinnitus. I felt like I had a dozen church bells going off in my head! Once I was taken off the drugs, though, the tinnitus improved. I still suffer from slight tinnitus, but I don't think my hearing suffered from the treatment with antibiotics.

Rose Immortal said:
My mom told me when I asked about this that when I was little, I used to have to get my ears irrigated after infections--she said I'd scream and cry when it was done...I must've blocked out the memories of that part. All I remember is picking up that antibiotic that tasted like bubble gum...God only knows how many times I had to do that!! (Oh my...I hope those kits you're talking about from the drugstore aren't as excruciatingly painful as this story suggests...)

Irrigation isn't usually painful, but immediately after an infection, your ear could still be inflamed. Ouchie. The drugstore kits shouldn't be painful - it's a hydrogen peroxide solution, yes, but you're not putting it in under any pressure. Curetting and suctioning can make you fidget horribly, but it's almost pleasant. Unless, again, you have an ear infection (just last week, my ENT told me he wasn't even sure where my eardrum was, there was so much drainage).

As far as it being real ... this is just speculation, but since some tinnitus is caused by foreign objects against the tympanic membrane (like the impacted wax we've been discussing), perhaps the shifting of this debris causes the membrane to vibrate much like it does when it's responding to the changes in air pressure that we call sound. Granulated tissue might also be to blame - during a bad infection, sometimes you get these 'grainy' growths on your eardrum. While cleaning, the ENT can try to scrape these off with a curette - it feels nasty, and there's a bit of blood, but it does make a big difference.

Wow, Oceanbreeze...glad I haven't had to deal with antibiotics that had those sorts of effects!

But that is kinda reassuring in some way to know that others with sinus issues deal with the tinnitus as well. I guess it's just nice not to be the "only one". ;)

And thanks for the kind words, Mr. Blackbird! ;)

Rose Immortal said:
Wow, Oceanbreeze...glad I haven't had to deal with antibiotics that had those sorts of effects!

But that is kinda reassuring in some way to know that others with sinus issues deal with the tinnitus as well. I guess it's just nice not to be the "only one". ;)

And thanks for the kind words, Mr. Blackbird! ;)

The drugs were nasty, but I had very serious infections. I was treated with vancomycin and gentamycin. Two drugs that are known to be toxic to hearing, and also kidney function, if not given in a very controlled manner. These drugs are given via IV, and blood levels are drawn every few days to make sure the levels aren't too high. My levels never got out of the "therapeutic" range, but the tinnitus was horrible. Once I was taken off the meds, the tinnitus improved in about 24 hrs.

I still have some tinnitus, though, like I said. My sinusitis is chronic, so I'll probably always deal with some tinnitus. Most of the time, it doesn't really bother me. However, if I get a cold or other respiratory infection, I end up temporarily very HoH. It's not fun!

Have you seen a doctor for your problem? If you do have sinus problems, meds can help. I was put on allergy meds that help with the congestion, which helps my ears be a little clearer, and the tinnitus less bothersome. Also, when I start showing signs of illness such as a fever or severe face pain, I see my doctor for antibiotics. There are times when my chronic sinusitis becomes acute, and I need to have it treated.

:hug: Having an orchestra going off in your head all the time isn't fun! ;)

It's not very often that I actually feel sick...I have a feeling most of it is allergies. I think I'll see what the doc says on Friday, if she thinks anything looks abnormal or not. I mean, if I don't NEED to be on medication, I'm not sure about taking something on a regular basis. We shall see. ;)

But definitely, the clearer my ears are at any given time, the less annoying the tinnitus is.

I got them kinda cleared out a few nights ago and boy, I was surprised to realize just how loud some things can be!!!

I work at a Call Center and after a year now I have tinnitus, I feel like I've been in a concert for the past 4 mts, and it does not go away. My GP said something about a masker that they can put in your ear, or over the ear has anyone heard this.

Rose Immortal said:

Ismi--

It so happens I go to the doctor for a regular checkup next week, and I will certainly ask for her to take a special look at that.

The sinuses aren't messed up due to an infection, I don't think. Knowing me it's probably allergies...they run in the family.

There's a background ring I think I've always had and always will, thanks to the childhood infections. But I definitely want to take good care of myself so it always stays below a dull roar. ;)

Thanks, guys...knowing this makes me feel a lot better.

res8fzpg said:
I work at a Call Center and after a year now I have tinnitus, I feel like I've been in a concert for the past 4 mts, and it does not go away. My GP said something about a masker that they can put in your ear, or over the ear has anyone heard this.

Assuming you were asking a question at the end....yep. A "masker" as you call it is really a device that generates a masking noise. Think of you live next to the ocean with the wave noises going all the time (which they do). You will notice it at first but after a while you sort of forget about the sound. That sound keeps your hearing "occupied" until you hear somebody talking to you or another sound that is different than the waves. While it is quiet (but with the waves going), you will not notice your tinnitus! The bottomline is that the "noise" needs to be loud enough to overcome it.

Bit of an update here...

Much as I hate to admit it, it looks like I'd better take allergy meds as long as there's a lot of pollen. I really don't want to, but I've actually been waking up in the morning in real pain where the drainage went into my ears. The ringing is even worse at times like this...I can't think that the pressure is good for my ears, if it feels like THAT when I wake up.

The doctor didn't seem to notice anything out of the ordinary when I had that one exam, but still, I think I've pretty much nailed my allergies as a major culprit. My ears will do this no matter what, but it cannot be good to have that much pain during allergy season.

For what its worth, I suffer horribly from allergies (and this is definately the time of year). I notice my tinnitus gets worse this time of year (at least I believe it is tinnitus). One over the counter medication that works for me is Benadryl. In fact, it is the only medication that works for me...all of the other stuff makes me tired and cranky and doesn't do a thing to clear me out. I have been using it for the past few years and it has really kept my allergies in check.

There are a couple of drawbacks to Benadryl. I think the first thing I noticed was that it dries my skin out, particularly on my hands and my feet. This is actually the only places it dries out (and lotion does not help it much).

The second is to use caution if you spend time in the sun. A couple of years ago, I made a trip to Myrtle Beach. My allergies were bothering me so I took some benadryl. I was on the beach for roughly one hour and I ended up getting sun poisoning. I ended up in the hospital for a day and then spent weeks covered in blisters and a horrible sunburn. I explained to my doctor that I have always spent time in the sun and never had problems...and I'm Native American so I generally tan nicely too...I didn't tan that time but went to instant burn LOL. We discussed it and the doc said he noticed me sniffling..wanted to know if I had hayfever. I told him Yes and that I was taking Benadryl for it. He said Benadryl and many allergy medicines change the way your skin reacts to sunlight and that is what caused my insta-burn ;)

Lastly, some people tell me that Benadryl makes them drowsy. I don't have that problem at all and never have. I take it before I go to bed and no problems sleeping...and then I take it in the morning when I wake up and have no problems staying awake.

Eeew on the sunburn. I'm of Dutch descent and I can get cooked pretty easily even with nothing in my system. Claritin has worked during my worst allergy times, so I guess I'd better not venture near the Benadryl.

But thanks for the anecdote, even if I learned what I probably should NOT do. ;)

Hi RoseImmortal-

Yes, I still do have the tinnitus many times all in my life. (sometimes loud, sometimes very quiet noise) I ignored it. I noticed that when I "heard" the noise in my ear, I ignored it and in a few minutes later, it went away. My deaf husband and I have the tinnitus a lot. It comes from STRESS or ALLERGIES or SINUS INFECTION. We heard like ringings or hammer or clickings or roarings or like that. Exercise does help to get rid of the tinnitus because of the stress. Also, after we heard very loud noise like music at the parties and we came home, we "heard" the sounds in our ears and that was tinnitus.

My deaf friend had very, very bad tinnitus and it came from very bad allergies and sinus infection so he got a CI and his tinnitus went away. Guess what? He never uses CI. The part of CI (tool) really helps him for taking his tinnitus away - I think completely gone. Interesting????

My hearing friend has tinnitus - she realized that it was from stress.

Hope it helps!:)

I am hearing and I get tinitus constantly. I also have horrible sinus problems and get killer sinus headaches frequently. Unfortunately, I work in a noisy environment. Driving around listening to 2 radios at a time, sirens, airhorn, burglar alarms (these scare me the most). I frequently have to search homes/businesses where the burglar alrm is going off. Some are so loud that after each time the siren sounds, I hear some deep noisey vibration in my ear. It kind of sounds like a racquet ball being hit off of a wall when inside of a racquet ball court.
Gun shots are also bad for the ears.
Actually, I am sitting in front of my computer in the quiet as I type, and my ears are ringing right now. It seems the quiter area you are in, the louder the ringing gets.

http://www.hearinglosshelp.com/OtotoxicityPartI.htm
November 2003 by Neil Bauman, Ph.D.
First published in Audiology Online and Healthy Hearing December 1, 2003.

Tinnitus: Tinnitus, commonly called "ringing in the ears," is the number one indicator that you may be damaging your ears from an ototoxic drug. At least 447 drugs are known to cause tinnitus.4 Tinnitus can manifest itself as a wide variety of sounds. It may be a ringing, roaring, beating, clicking, banging, buzzing, hissing, humming, blowing, chirping, clanging, sizzling, whooshing, rumbling, whistling or dreadful shrieking noise in your head. It may also sound like rushing water, radio static, breaking glass, bells ringing, owls hooting or chainsaws running.

Hyperacusis: Hyperacusis is a condition where normal sounds are perceived as being much too loud. It is as though the body's internal volume control is stuck on "high." At least 38 drugs can cause this condition.

www.hyperacusis.net

Even allergies to foods, can be oxotoxic to your ears..........not just drugs!

For example if you have an allergy to wheat you may test positive for Celiac Disease unless it's tested in the U.S., but still you could have gluten ataxia, which is one side of your body being numb, and this is something I just read about, and have had this for years and years with no one telling me this information.

Lillys dad said:
Actually, I am sitting in front of my computer in the quiet as I type, and my ears are ringing right now. It seems the quiter area you are in, the louder the ringing gets.

Less to mask it, I guess. Probably one reason I've never liked a totally quiet environment...there's nothing to get my mind off of it.

The ringing happens regardless of whether I have any medications in my system or not, and I'm actually pretty paranoid about what I'll allow myself to take.

The allergies, on the other hand, just won't go away this year. In fact, I heard my dad say this is the worst pollen season EVER on record. Not surprising to me in the least.

I know Bee Pollen Granuales help with Allergies, especially the seasonal ones, the only rule is that the Bee Pollen Granuales must be from your local area.

I was reading one of those books called "What your doctor never tells you", and I was having a severe reaction from being near my own dog after coming back home living away for a while and I got some Bee Pollen Granuales from the health store, what did I have to lose - I love dogs and won't ever not be around dogs.

I started Friday night taking 2 tbsp. of Granules with loads of water (it's not that great tasting) and finished by Monday morning, and that's when I realized I had no more problems with the dog. Of course I'd need to that every few years, and will have to probably when we get another new pup in a few weeks.
(Counting the days).

As with the "call centers":
Google "Acoustic Trauma", many workers in call centers have been compensated for the damages to their ears. I worked in a call center myself, and new a girl who got a 10% hearing loss, they said had something to do with a virus. But I mean these days 3 out of every 6 people have a hearing loss too.

Back