Question about hearing loss.

chingxho

Reaction score
Okay I don't understand the whole DB & percentage thing, like when people say they have 80db or when they put it in a percent, can anyone explain this to me?

Thanks.

Converting a hearing loss in terms of a percentage doesn't tell you anything about the hearing loss itself. For example, if your hearing loss starts at 80 dB at 250 Hz, it doesn't mean you have 80% hearing loss. (This is a common misconception.)

For more information about hearing loss, audiograms and how to read them visit:

HEARING TESTS AND AUDIOGRAMS

Converting a hearing loss in terms of a percentage doesn't tell you anything about the hearing loss itself. For example, if your hearing loss starts at 80 dB at 250 Hz, it doesn't mean you have 80% hearing loss. (This is a common misconception.)

For more information about hearing loss, audiograms and how to read them visit:

HEARING TESTS AND AUDIOGRAMS

Yes, because there is no such thing as 100% hearing. If you give "hearing people" a test, then the sounds which can be detected across the frequency range by one person can vary considerably compared to another hearing person. Yet, they are both normally hearing.

DB is a much better way of expressing someone's hearing levels - it tells us the decibel level at which people can hear sounds for every frequency.

R2D2 and Hear Again are right. Usually, when people express hearing loss as a percentage, they're doing one of two things: either they're using the dB as a percentage (which is inaccurate, but I've seen it happen a lot) or they're usiing it as a way of saying, "I'm very deaf", "I'm not very deaf", "I'm not completely deaf, but this is how much it interferes with hearing X".

When people use dBs, that's much more informative. Essentially, saying "I' have an 80 dB hearing loss" says, "The softest sound I can distinguish is about80 dB". Actually, I think it's a bit more complicated than that, but close enough, unless one of our resident audiologists wants to come along and remind us of the details.

Ismi is right..it can get complicated which was why I and others in the grad program of deaf education were required to take two graduate level audiology classes. LOL!

Anyways..the higher the dB level, the less the person hears. A dB level of 20 is considered close to normal hearing while a dB level of 120 like mine is severely deaf.

Hope that helps some.

Even saying that a person has an 80 dB hearing loss can be complicated due to the differences that exist from one audiogram to another.

For example, one person may have a "flat" 80 dB loss across all frequencies while another may have a loss that starts at 80 dB, then rises to a moderate loss in the middle frequencies and then drops back down at the higher frequencies. Finally, a person can have an 80 dB loss that drops to profound in the middle and higher frequencies.

One other thing to note is that no two people with the same audiogram (or the same hearing loss) hear the same. Some people with moderate hearing loss may have more difficulty hearing speech than someone with severe hearing loss.

One other thing to note is that no two people with the same audiogram (or the same hearing loss) hear the same. Some people with moderate hearing loss may have more difficulty hearing speech than someone with severe hearing loss.

Hmm, while my loss was in the severe range you discribed me. CI is much better.

oops, I tho I was supposed to be severe hearing loss but no, I made a mistake after that I realized, I am moderately severe mixed hearing loss.

Even saying that a person has an 80 dB hearing loss can be complicated due to the differences that exist from one audiogram to another.

For example, one person may have a "flat" 80 dB loss across all frequencies while another may have a loss that starts at 80 dB, then rises to a moderate loss in the middle frequencies and then drops back down at the higher frequencies. Finally, a person can have an 80 dB loss that drops to profound in the middle and higher frequencies.

And that is a very important bit of information. That is exactly why increasing sound perception does not always result in improving discrimination.

Okay I don't understand the whole DB & percentage thing, like when people say they have 80db or when they put it in a percent, can anyone explain this to me?

Thanks.

Okay, this should be easier to understand than the gibberish from the others (sorry, gang, you were all as clear as mud in explaining this).

An 80 db, on the chart (below the line) constitutes a severe and border-line profound hearing loss. Remember, the greater the number going down, the greater amount of hearing loss.

R2D2 and Hear Again are right. Usually, when people express hearing loss as a percentage, they're doing one of two things: either they're using the dB as a percentage (which is inaccurate, but I've seen it happen a lot) or they're usiing it as a way of saying, "I'm very deaf", "I'm not very deaf", "I'm not completely deaf, but this is how much it interferes with hearing X".

When people use dBs, that's much more informative. Essentially, saying "I' have an 80 dB hearing loss" says, "The softest sound I can distinguish is about80 dB". Actually, I think it's a bit more complicated than that, but close enough, unless one of our resident audiologists wants to come along and remind us of the details.

Oh okay I get it now.
Thanks.

Back