Question about facebook and my daughter.

Phillips

Lets ride horses!
Premium Member
Reaction score
My friend was here and use my computer to Facebook's website. My daughter argument with me from time to time because my friend shows my daughter to Facebook's games. Now my girl begs, begs, begs, begs me to join Facebook and playing games. I told her that I am thinking about it because she is only 9 years old! :roll:

How old youngsters can join member to Facebook?

Not a good idea for a 9 year old to join facebook. She can play games somewhere else.

However my sister who is soon 15 has facebook. She's more sensible at the appropriate age. Not a 9 year old girl can. :|

Facebook policy:

Registration and Account Security

Facebook users provide their real names and information, and we need your help to keep it that way. Here are some commitments you make to us relating to registering and maintaining the security of your account:
You will not provide any false personal information on Facebook, or create an account for anyone other than yourself without permission.
You will not create more than one personal profile.
If we disable your account, you will not create another one without our permission.
You will not use your personal profile for your own commercial gain (such as selling your status update to an advertiser).
You will not use Facebook if you are under 13.
You will not use Facebook if you are a convicted sex offender.
You will keep your contact information accurate and up-to-date.
You will not share your password, (or in the case of developers, your secret key), let anyone else access your account, or do anything else that might jeopardize the security of your account.
You will not transfer your account (including any page or application you administer) to anyone without first getting our written permission.
If you select a username for your account we reserve the right to remove or reclaim it if we believe appropriate (such as when a trademark owner complains about a username that does not closely relate to a user's actual name).

Statement of Rights and Responsibilities | Facebook

I think that parents might allow younger to use FB. ???

There are A LOT OF child predators out there. Facebook, and other social sites are a perfect target for child predators to fish out for abduction. I would suggest 16+ WITH adult supervision (to prevent child predators from luring them) until they become 18, old enough to go on their own.

Phillips,

The title is done edited from the report you sent.

I won't let 9 years old on the FB...if she want to play games, she can ues your FB and you keep eye on her...that is other option but her own acctount no. Wait till she turns 13 or 14 or 15 whatever what you decide.

I wouldn't allow it if I were you. Facebook can be a very dangerous place if you do it wrong, and getting yourself into trouble. There are plenty of people who did these stupid things that were costly (i.e, getting fired, child predator like Linux has mentioned, and more). Besides, there are already some game websites that your kid can play. Hey, it's better than nothing... :) It's all about the safety of the children for god's sake. Wait till she become 13 or whatever age you will start allowing her to join facebook.

Life isn't fair and somebody's gotta understand, IMHO. It's ultimately up to you with your decision regarding her and facebook.

If you feel comfortable allowing your own account that she can play with, that way you can keep your eyes on the game. Eventually you will decide to let her own account in the future.

im so sorry about yoru situation. My kids haven't seen it yet.

Best not to let your kid get her own FB account.. I dont think it would be wise to do it, so best to tell her she needs to be patient for a few more years.. and also teach her there are some folks on FB that might be tricky enough to fool her and etc.. she will see why and will heed your warning to wait till she is ready to have her own account for personal use...

I'd say she's too young to venture off into the online world. As already mentioned, it's also against Facebook's terms and conditions. That alone should answer your question.

Imo 13 is a good age to let youngsters engage online.

She's a bit too young fb. I would wait til she's a few years older. There are weirdos out there and best for her to be safe than sorry.

I think she's a bit young for FB. There's tons of scammers and others unsavory types on FB - hence why I think she's too young. Recently, someone copied my profile and impersonated me in his/her Obama-will-help -deaf scam. I don't want her to fall for people like that.

I think what Kristina suggested is much better.

My 4 year old son gets on my FB page just to play the games. I wont create an account for him.

Not a good idea for a 9 year old to join facebook. She can play games somewhere else.

However my sister who is soon 15 has facebook. She's more sensible at the appropriate age. Not a 9 year old girl can. :|

i know that 9 years old to be immature for join the Facebook's member! ........... I will tell my girl that waits until she becomes 16 years old! :)

Thank you all !!!! :)

your daughter might want to join fb so she can play games with your friend. If that is the case get some board games and have your friend, yourself and your daughter play the games.

Board games are slowly becoming a thing of the past.

9 is too young imo to join fb.

I have to agree with the ADers that 9 years old is too young to start being on facebook. She might fall into the scammer's trick and she does not know who is real or not real. It would be nice if she just goes on game to play. Yes, I would suggest she wait until she is older like you said at 16 years old. Just help her and explain why it is not possible for her to go on facebook yet. She will understand. :fingersx:

Back