question about deaf culture and sociology

As for wearing one's Cochlear Implant almost all of one's waking hours is the suggestion which "helps one's brain" get used to sounds from the processor. It makes no sense to go the sleep with an Implant on-why?

If one wants/ wishes to remain in a "silent": mode-your privilege as a human being. Contingent on the "social world" one is immersed in.

Was the DEAF WORLD much "better" without the use of "electronics-Cochlear Implants/Cell phones. lap tops"-back say 50 years?

As for wearing one's Cochlear Implant almost all of one's waking hours is the suggestion which "helps one's brain" get used to sounds from the processor. It makes no sense to go the sleep with an Implant on-why? I did that for a few years and it dod not work in helping my brain beyond a certain point. for the second part, I don't know, ask a person who does it..

If one wants/ wishes to remain in a "silent": mode-your privilege as a human being. Contingent on the "social world" one is immersed in. Aspies don't have a very social world and it actually helps me not being so connected.

Was the DEAF WORLD much "better" without the use of "electronics-Cochlear Implants/Cell phones. lap tops"-back say 50 years? "better" is a very vague term, I would say now is better but due to ADA, VP's etc. I don't think CI's really had anything to do with making the "Deaf World" better. however at least the controversy surrounding CI's has made many more hearies aware that there is a Deaf Culture and community. With ASL being accepted as a foreign language in HS and college, the number of people learning our language is increasing and that is a positive.

I have no reason to keep my Cochlear Implant on while trying to go to sleep. It would pick up noise and usually keeps one awake. Not exactly what one is trying to do -in the first place.

No comment on being "apies"- I am not. From prior comments- not very many DEAF persons are "apies".

A Cochlear Implant does bring "hearing" to DEAF persons-IF SUITABLE, To date, that is my experience of almost 5 years.

Whether "BETTER" is an improvement over the last 50 years re electronics for the DEAF?Subjective. Just like is this computer made "improvements" in the Deaf WORLD??
A more "interesting statistic" what would the number of DEAF persons using Cochlear Implant and DON'T LEARN/USE ASL-be?

A more "interesting statistic" what would the number of DEAF persons using Cochlear Implant and DON'T LEARN/USE ASL-be?

They would not be part of the Deaf Culture if they Did not sign. We already know there are many more deaf CI users that Deaf CI users... My point was that a poll would show that deaf CI users do use them much more than Deaf CI users.. Also I doubt you will find any deaf CI users that completely stopped using their devices. It the Deaf world you will find some. I know a few personally...

To start with-one must DEAF to be considered for Cochlear Implants due in part the cost-$50,000 to $100.000 (?) operation. hospital care and ongoing audi services. Whether one wants to be "part of Deaf culture" or not doesn't change the fact that one is DEAF. That condition remains for the rest of one's life. I am still bilateral DEAF-right now!

How one deals with that fact is up to you!

I am well aware of the fact that not every
DEAF person would consider an Implant is physical able to get one.
Sunnybrook/Toronto actual experience since 1984 have evaluated 3000 patients referred of which only 1000 were "suitable". Info given a recent patients meeting in late 2011( true of other places?). I was one of the success ones. In the same time frame only 18 persons implanted were unable to use after implantation. Why?

Most persons I have met at Sunnybrook/Toronto DO NOT use ASL which includes me- after 3 separate Intro ASL classes here in Toronto-decided to stop them. Aside: I knew from 1992 I would eventually become bilateral DEAF after the losing all hearing in Right ear. That happened in 2006 which started the process of determining "suitable" for Cochlear Implants. Fortunately-I was.

To start with-one must DEAF to be considered for Cochlear Implants due in part the cost-$50,000 to $100.000 (?) operation. hospital care and ongoing audi services. Whether one wants to be "part of Deaf culture" or not doesn't change the fact that one is DEAF. That condition remains for the rest of one's life. I am still bilateral DEAF-right now!

How one deals with that fact is up to you!

I am well aware of the fact that not every
DEAF person would consider an Implant is physical able to get one.
Sunnybrook/Toronto actual experience since 1984 have evaluated 3000 patients referred of which only 1000 were "suitable". Info given a recent patients meeting in late 2011( true of other places?). I was one of the success ones. In the same time frame only 18 persons implanted were unable to use after implantation. Why?

I am a bit surprised that you are such a post whore here and not on a CI specific or Oralism forum...
Most persons I have met at Sunnybrook/Toronto DO NOT use ASL which includes me- after 3 separate Intro ASL classes here in Toronto-decided to stop them. Aside: I knew from 1992 I would eventually become bilateral DEAF after the losing all hearing in Right ear. That happened in 2006 which started the process of determining "suitable" for Cochlear Implants. Fortunately-I was.

DrPhill, I need to clarify my terms for you deaf with a lower case "d" means one who has a phyical hearing loss and has a pathological (medical view) of being deaf and are culturally hearing. people who view deafness as a something that needs to be fixed so you can be "normal"! Deaf with an upper case "D" means a person who uses Sign Language as their primary language and consider themselves culturally Deaf.. From what I can tell by your posts, you are definitely deaf and not Culturally Deaf.

You also failed to understand my comment about using CI's I was referring to people deciding to not use their CI's by personal choice not ones who had a failure of the device or ones for whom it did not work for medical reasons...

Please explain what you mean when using all caps for DEAF? I am not familiar with this format..

DrPhil, why are you posting in on a thread asking about Deaf culture and Sociology when you have absolutely no understanding of Deaf Culture and are not part of it?
I am wondering why you post so much on a Deaf Forum instead of a CI or an oralism forum?

DrPhil, why are you posting in on a thread asking about Deaf culture and Sociology when you have absolutely no understanding of Deaf Culture and are not part of it?
I am wondering why you post so much on a Deaf Forum instead of a CI or an oralism forum?

I wonder the same thing. I guess Drphil likes The Deaf Culture/Community. :aw:

DrPhill, I need to clarify my terms for you deaf with a lower case "d" means one who has a phyical hearing loss and has a pathological (medical view) of being deaf and are culturally hearing. people who view deafness as a something that needs to be fixed so you can be "normal"! Deaf with an upper case "D" means a person who uses Sign Language as their primary language and consider themselves culturally Deaf.. From what I can tell by your posts, you are definitely deaf and not Culturally Deaf.

You also failed to understand my comment about using CI's I was referring to people deciding to not use their CI's by personal choice not ones who had a failure of the device or ones for whom it did not work for medical reasons...

Please explain what you mean when using all caps for DEAF? I am not familiar with this format..

It's drPhil's own word is DEAF. Just let him be. Don't ask me why.

As for "liking deaf /Deaf/DEAF culture"-lots seemly keyed here. I have pointed out before- I do DEAF swimming-almost every day. Whether being bilateral DEAF can be "quantified" not exactly a "hot issue" with me.

I have commented before the use of "DEAF" shifts from being labeled "cultural/oral" paradigm to an actual condition-which to me-is!

Whether a person wishes/want to disconnect one's Cochlear Implant-a personal choice.
Easy to effect silence!

More discussion in Sociology

Last edited:
I just thought that mayde you just kept SHOUTING that you were DEAF to try and get us to hear you. But sorry, I am Deaf so I am afraid SHOUTING does not have any affect except maybe give you a sore throat... for a medical condition just use deaf Please it means exactly what you are calling DEAF... a medical condition where one cannot hear, a defect that should be fixed medically if possible.... Oralism is Oralism and does not have any specific version of the word deaf associated with it...

Seriously it will make it easier for everyone else to follow your comments...
Thanks

Interesting internal exercise on the "proper designation" of the condition of deafness.
I am not sure if there is such a condition of "deafness" from NON medical causes (excluding one deliberates ignores hearing what others say)?
As the original poster asks re the sociological understanding of the "deaf community" thus the wide ranging responses-so far.
More discussion in sociology.

I just thought that mayde you just kept SHOUTING that you were DEAF to try and get us to hear you. But sorry, I am Deaf so I am afraid SHOUTING does not have any affect except maybe give you a sore throat... for a medical condition just use deaf Please it means exactly what you are calling DEAF... a medical condition where one cannot hear, a defect that should be fixed medically if possible.... Oralism is Oralism and does not have any specific version of the word deaf associated with it...

Seriously it will make it easier for everyone else to follow your comments...
Thanks

Understand. most of us are familiar with him. he's harmless. Just you know.

drphil, what IS Sociology? can you explain , how does it compare with athropology or psychology?

From Oxford Canadian dictionary page 775. Sociology:
"the scientific study of human society and its development and institutions, or of social problems"
Anthropology: Page 30
"the scientific study of mankind. especially of human origins. development, customs and beliefs.
Psychology page 851
"the study of the mind ( as deduced from behaviour) and how its works. Mental conditions".

today in my sociology class we were talking about what binds certain groups together in a society. my teacher brought up Deaf culture. this got me to thinking about why other groups seem to not be as strongly bonded as the Deaf. so my question is what do you think causes the strong bond in Deaf culture? is it the common language of asl? the common experiences of discrimination, or difficulty with hearing people? as always thank you for your help and responses.
Perhaps it is "like attracts like". Deaf people understand what other hard of hearing or deaf
people face in day to day life. Hearing people usually label a hard of hearing person as "stupid".
Its hard to offer opinions, even if you have a GREAT idea, when you can't hear the topic under
discussion.
I have a 46 year old daughter who has been away in the military for most of the past 23 years.
She has now moved to Phoenix where I live. Now that we are together often and she is frustrated
with not being understood when she talks to me, and not being heard, and getting wrong answers
to her comments, she treats me with scorn and contempt and impatience. Its very painful for me.
The deaf understand the deaf.
mom in Phoenix

To the above comment of JoNan- one can understand if one is DEAF only in the context of their life-personal experience. Complicating factor-a Cochlear Implant re the "deaf community".

More discussion: Sociology.

Joan that would make sense, in my psychology class we examined how in relationships the people that tend to stay together usually have alot in common, friendships and communitys probably operate on the same principle. i guess the saying opposites attract isnt true lol

Back