question about deaf culture and sociology

Welcome back REI and hope the various comments have suggested not exactly a "single answer" in the Deaf community.
More discussion in Sociology-"culture".

I reading it :) I research find it i alreading it interesting :P I am research find lots of best to!! I am lots of really interesting!

Of historical interest: My Canadian textbook: Sociology, Robert Hagedorn Holt Rinehart and Winston of Canada Ltd Toronto 1980. My class was in 1982 Centennial College- Toronto.
There is no mention of "Deaf culture" in the 626 pages.

Of historical interest: My Canadian textbook: Sociology, Robert Hagedorn Holt Rinehart and Winston of Canada Ltd Toronto 1980. My class was in 1982 Centennial College- Toronto.
There is no mention of "Deaf culture" in the 626 pages.

and you point is ? Just cuz 1 text book does not mention it does not mean it does not exist...:cool2:
[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Deaf-Heritage-Narrative-History-America/dp/0913072389]Amazon.com: Deaf Heritage: A Narrative History of Deaf America (9780913072387): Jack R. Gannon: Books[/ame]

I didn't say "deaf culture" doesn't exist- only that the authors of the Introductory Canadian textbook didn't consider it "worth" including in the book.

It seems to "exist" here-AllDeaf.com- however a DEAF person has to consider whether one's participation is "worth" being "part of"?
An individual choice- no doubt! Presumably the "minimum" is learning and using Sign communication-Canada/ United States-ASL. How much time/funds expended-contingent on one's circumstances. Not exactly a short time "learning experience"

for the first time ever, drphil is finally making sense... and 'the short time learning experience' is cant be a minimum, it has to be 'commited' for over length of time and participation, that participation is 'social in nature'- there you guessed it, its culture.
and by this logic, ...
you cant separate language from culture, and neither from the other way around. They are mutually inclusive.

I understand each of us got "culture" from our parents. Also, language was taught as well..
Neither of which is our "personal choice".

How does one "explain" a language-English- used in various countries where culture is different? Say Canada vs United States vs United Kingdom vs New Zealand vs Australia etc?

More discussions-Sociology-"culture"

Last edited:
Interesting AllDeaf.Com is the "deaf community". Some of "us"- probably are.
Right- I am bilateral DEAF-won't change in the future.

Cochlear Implant exercise-Samba-to all Implantees!

Sociology is never dull! Cheers

Back