Question about ASL class?

JanatheShort

Reaction score
Hey I was just wondering if it is normal for an ASL class to have no interaction with the Deaf community or people who actually use ASL as their main language?

We have a sign language class in our university communication disorders department, but it seems to be mainly for speech-language pathologists... and they have NO interaction with the deaf community, which seems bizarre to me. I was just wondering if that was normal at other places.

The chair of the languages department is trying to get a Deaf adjunct professor to teach an actual ASL class. I'm excited!

Not in my small experience. Often the contrary I think. Glad you may get a deaf prof!

Not in my small experience. Often the contrary I think. Glad you may get a deaf prof!

I hope we do! I e-mailed the chair of the department tonight to see what was happening, (she gave me permission to do that lol) so I hope she will reply soon with good news!

Fingers crossed here for ya. My teacher is deaf, and as far as I can tell so are all the ASL teachers at our school. Now our teacher has an assistant too, and he's also deaf. Actually a graduate of the residential school that hosts the classes, which is pretty cool. She's great, but it's nice to see the differences in how they sign things, even individual words. Makes me realize I need to be more flexible than I'd probably think if I were being taught from just one source. Also makes me worry less when I find something different from a sign I learned on a DVD. I've had other ASL 1 students emphatically correct me when I use a sign that's different from what they've been taught, and lately I'm thinking they just haven't been exposed to some of the variation out there. Sorry I'm going off on a tangent. Will stop now!

:mad: Just got an e-mail back from the university... They are planning to have the ASL class... in one or two years, when the class is approved by a thousand different committees. (Also after I graduate and have to find a job) When it does start, it will be an online class, so the students won't actually have interaction with one another...

So, the idea of taking an ASL class is out for at least a year or two. No one seems to know of a Deaf community where I live. How on earth is someone supposed to learn ASL here? :(

Thanks for the suggestions!!! The classes area all about an hour and a half from me or farther, which is not an option for us... my husband and I are sharing one car. I joined the newsleter of the Indiana Association of the Deaf though, so we will see if they advertise any events in my area. It looks like most of the events are in Indy, an hour and a half away... but a few events are in other parts of the state!

Whether or not it's "normal" depends on the program. Some schools have a more vested interest in sign language instruction than others. The college I'm currently attending has several Deaf instructors, and in each of the five ASL classes, students are required to do some sort of "community interaction" report. It's worth noting the ASL classes are designed to prepare students to enter the interpreting program although the school does offer an ASL/Deaf studies certificate for those only interested in learning sign language.

Back