Queer - derogatory or not?

Folks say, "Oh, that's so gay" to express that it's out of fashion or not acceptable by more recent, newer metrosexual standards.

Say what you believe about other lifestyles (if you really need to have reasons in believing in your own), gay folks make great musicals, created the Hollywood phenomenon, and, dammit, they make many, many people happy - though many turn their backs on them and make it very hard for them to have a happy life.

Folks say, "Oh, that's so gay" to express that it's out of fashion or not acceptable by more recent, newer metrosexual standards.

Say what you believe about other lifestyles (if you really need to have reasons in believing in your own), gay folks make great musicals, created the Hollywood phenomenon, and, dammit, they make many, many people happy - though many turn their backs on them and make it very hard for them to have a happy life.[/QUOTE]

I agree..why do people care how they live their lives??

Anyways...as for queer...my mom used to say that all the time when I was growing up. I guess in her time, it was the slang to use but nowadays? It would be gay as far as I know.

As for being derogatory, I would assume it is. I could be wrong.

Well, I'm in an older generation, too. I've never used "queer" to address anyone. It's grossly impolite, but maybe politeness is a generation thing, as well.

"Homosexual" is the only descriptive term I've ever used when necessary to refer to someone's same-sex preferences.

Gay means "happy," "merry," "lighthearted"--something homosexuals don't have a lock on, so the term is at least a misnomer, if not pejorative.

I agree with you.

Do you remember introducing a man and his " gentleman friend _________ ? " Or a " lady and her lady friend_________ ? "

I think it's important to remember this abour words: They have no meaning in and of themselves. They are just symbols. For what? For thoughts. Just like the shape "6" doesn't have anything that intrinsically means "six." It's a learned association.

And as attitudes and thoughts change (over time, across communities, across social boundaries), what is associated with and understood from words changes too.

When the big "gay vs. queer" debate was raging in the 90s, the idea was that we would "take it back" so that it wouldn't hurt any more. That seemed to hint that people did realize that meanings of words *are* flexible. But I thought it also missed the point, because:

1. The word (along with "faggot," "dyke," and many others) was already used among gays/lesbians as an okay "insider" term, and if you were a straight person who was really accepted, you could use it too; and

2. Who uses the word and how they use it is much more important than the word itself. If someone keeps using the word "homosexual," with no harm intended, I might tell them that to us, that word sounds very dry and clinical. If they use the very accepted word "gay" with hate, then is it any different or less hurtful than "faggot?"

I remember hearing a conversation between a straight guy and a gay guy:

Gay guy: Stop saying "gay!"
Str8 guy: So what should I say?
Gay guy: Say "faggot!"
Str8 guy: What's wrong with "gay?"
Gay guy: "It's too...faggoty!"

Go figure...

Queer?

I identify as "Queer."

Why?

Because I am not heterosexual and I am not homosexual.

I believe my sexuality is fluid and I think the term Queer encompasses that.

I once told someone I was "fluid" and they responded "what, like water?"

*groan*

I find Queer less insulting than being called "lesbo" or "faggot."

I am aware of the negative connotations of the term "Queer" and I think the more people reclaim it, the word's meaning will change into something much more positive.

I identify as "Queer."

Why?

Because I am not heterosexual and I am not homosexual.

I believe my sexuality is fluid and I think the term Queer encompasses that.

I once told someone I was "fluid" and they responded "what, like water?"

*groan*

I find Queer less insulting than being called "lesbo" or "faggot."

I am aware of the negative connotations of the term "Queer" and I think the more people reclaim it, the word's meaning will change into something much more positive.

Are you an urbanite?

Back