Puerto Rico: The 51st State?

Should Puerto Rico become the 51st State of the US?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, If Puerto Rico decides to become statehood, must be English speaking.

Well, If Puerto Rico decides to become statehood, must be English speaking.

How?

Texas doesn't have English as official language but just de facto.

Yeah. On top of that we'll be accused of imperialism. Though with 51 stars it'll look like a globe.

51starflag.jpg

This flag is ugly!!:barf:

PR could becomes statehood without English as official language if congress approves it.

Yes, but will it happen? Not without voting first and the vote had never go that high because the people of PR refuses it.

I voted no but I'm open to it

Why does everyone think that PR becoming a state will lead them to come to the U.S.? PRicans can already come in and out of the continental U.S., Alaska, and HI as they please, since before you were born. Did Alaska or HI becoming a state lead to a massive influx of them to the continental U.S.? NO!!!!! Are there people from HI and Alaska living in the continetal U.S? YES!!!! Guess what, there are PRicans who also live in the continental U.S. PR becoming a state will change nothing. In fact, it might actually benefit the economy because as of right now, people in PR do not have to pay U.S. taxes. Do you?

Why does everyone think that PR becoming a state will lead them to come to the U.S.? PRicans can already come in and out of the continental U.S., Alaska, and HI as they please, since before you were born. Did Alaska or HI becoming a state lead to a massive influx of them to the continental U.S.? NO!!!!! Are there people from HI and Alaska living in the continetal U.S? YES!!!! Guess what, there are PRicans who also live in the continental U.S. PR becoming a state will change nothing. In fact, it might actually benefit the economy because as of right now, people in PR do not have to pay U.S. taxes. Do you?

a full-fledged Constitutional rights and everything. Look at Palin and Obama. Both are from Alaska and Hawaii. That's why they can get involved in Presidential election. Puerto Rico can't.

Very true. But also Ricans can't vote for President. They have had the ability and right to fight in every war since 1898...but they cannot vote. So I say it's ok if they don't pay taxes. I agree that I think it might help the economy but how much help will the island receive? :hmm:

Evita

Very true. But also Ricans can't vote for President. They have had the ability and right to fight in every war since 1898...but they cannot vote. So I say it's ok if they don't pay taxes. I agree that I think it might help the economy but how much help will the island receive? :hmm:

Evita

Although Puerto Ricans are U.S. citizens.

If RP become statehood, residents are required to pay federal taxes, import/export taxes, federal commodity taxes, and social security taxes etc. The only exemption is federal income taxes because of Puerto Rico income taxes. All federal employees, plus those who do business with the federal government, in addition to Puerto Rico-based corporations that intend to send funds to the U.S. and some others also pay federal income taxes.

What about the Virgin Islands, Guam and any other territory.

No statehood for them ever?

Evita

Although Puerto Ricans are U.S. citizens.

if they reside in other state or DC.. they can vote for them but if they reside in Puerto Rico, they can't vote.

Don't really care either way. Whatever Puerto Rico wants is fine with me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back