Puerto Rico: The 51st State?

Should Puerto Rico become the 51st State of the US?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mrs.Summers

Reaction score
I'm curious what other people think about Puerto Rico possibly becoming the 51st state of the US.

Evita

One thing though, Puerto Rico doesn't decide on becoming the 51st state. It's up to the United States Congress to decide that.

It is up to Puerto Ricans, let them vote to becomes 51st state.

Naw, not really, keep Puerto Rico be our colony in many years.

They cannot vote themselves to become the 51st state. Congress decides that.
Correct but it has to pass a vote in Puerto Rico first before they can apply for statehood. So, chronologically, the ball is in Puerto Rico's court. If they pass the vote for statehood, then we can debate the next step. :)

I don't know... It'll mess up our flag.

Yeah. On top of that we'll be accused of imperialism. Though with 51 stars it'll look like a globe.

51starflag.jpg

I'm curious what other people think about Puerto Rico possibly becoming the 51st state of the US.

Evita
If the people of Puerto Rico want to become a state with all the rights, privileges, obligations, and responsibilities that are included, that's fine with me. :)

That got me to wondering. What would they have to gain or to lose by becomeing a state?

What would USA gain or lose by them becoming a state?

Correct but it has to pass a vote in Puerto Rico first before they can apply for statehood. So, chronologically, the ball is in Puerto Rico's court. If they pass the vote for statehood, then we can debate the next step. :)

Right. That was my point. Though it does add pressure on Congress to act in kind should the statehood vote passes in PR.

I don't know... It'll mess up our flag.
Our Flag has survived previous modifications. I'd have to see the new design before judging it.

That got me to wondering. What would they have to gain or to lose by becomeing a state?

For starters:

They would gain representation in Congress.

They would lose their tax-free status with the IRS.

Yeah. On top of that we'll be accused of imperialism. Though with 51 stars it'll look like a globe.

51starflag.jpg
If that's an official design proposal, I don't like it.

They cannot vote themselves to become the 51st state. Congress decides that.

Reba is correct so let PR vote first before congress does.

That's what I means.

My good friend who is from there would have said, "Hell NO! "

My good friend who is from there would have said, "Hell NO! "

Yup, that why I let Puerto Ricans to make a decision by vote about want becomes statehood.

I'm not surprised that kokonut misunderstood my post until Reba made clear.

They are losing Tex....oops, I shouldn't say that. Never mind.

:D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back