Public speaking experience in front of an audience?

kokonut

Reaction score
Do you have any public speaking experience? Doesn't matter if you spoke or signed but whether if you had any experience doing so. What was it like for you? Do you get nervous? Or does it come naturally for you and are at ease at the podium? Easy to get along with the audience? Do you like doing that or do you get a bit of stage fright?

Did you ever take a course in public speaking at Gally? It is really a great course.

It helped me tremendously and I have had no plm in public speaking before the Deaf/hearing audiences for more than 20 years. :)

Did you ever take a course in public speaking at Gally? It is really a great course.

It helped me tremendously and I have had no plm in public speaking before the Deaf/hearing audiences for more than 20 years. :)

Yes it helped me a lot after i learned about my problem that i used my voice and sign at the same time. it got me real messed up. Thanks to someone who pointed out with my voice and sign. So I turned my voice off and it works great!!! i did learn something about it. If i have sufficient information ready then i ll have no problem in public speaking. I like the public speaking course at gally. i used to avoid it and hated it because I have no self esteem with my signs skill but found out as to why I have problem. just turn my voice off and things get better for me. :roll:

I've had to speak in front of an audience on many occasions, never had a problem.

Nope. Never did. Although I like going to those toastmasters events.

Do you have any public speaking experience? Doesn't matter if you spoke or signed but whether if you had any experience doing so. What was it like for you? Do you get nervous? Or does it come naturally for you and are at ease at the podium? Easy to get along with the audience? Do you like doing that or do you get a bit of stage fright?

why don't you tell us about yourself first?

No. That was in 2007 at the Vlog/Blogger Conference at Gallaudet University. One of my more unusual public speaking engagements.

"unusual"? what was unusual about it?

I used to do a lot of public speaking. The key thing was being confident that the stuff I was talking about was worth listening to & relevant to people. I would prepare my material thoroughly and have the final paragraph written word for word so I could always finish well. I got plenty of positive feedback. My weakness was that I couldn't interact spontaneously with a large audience as I couldn't hear comments up on a stage. Smaller groups where I was much nearer to people was OK.

I was forced to take a public speaking class in High School, I hated it, still to this day I hate speaking in front of people... I got laughed at and made fun of any time I opened my mouth... I'm not confident (or competent) enough in my sign yet to try it with ASL, but one day... one day I can try again.
I've gone to scribbling things on paper any time I'm out now... and I do my best not to have to talk to customers at work very often, because they often look at me like I'm an idiot...

I was forced to take a public speaking class in High School, I hated it, still to this day I hate speaking in front of people... I got laughed at and made fun of any time I opened my mouth... I'm not confident (or competent) enough in my sign yet to try it with ASL, but one day... one day I can try again.
I've gone to scribbling things on paper any time I'm out now... and I do my best not to have to talk to customers at work very often, because they often look at me like I'm an idiot...

Aw. It's important that we all practice our speech, whether it's in ASL or spoken language, enough to become confident once you walk up the stage. All eyes are on you. The "lights" are on you. The audience is counting on you and your presentation. Should you walk off with a poor performance, disappointment will follow.

I'm taking Speech course this Fall, however it's one-on-one with a professor. So no shame to hide if I mess up! :lol:

I used to do a lot of public speaking. The key thing was being confident that the stuff I was talking about was worth listening to & relevant to people. I would prepare my material thoroughly and have the final paragraph written word for word so I could always finish well. I got plenty of positive feedback. My weakness was that I couldn't interact spontaneously with a large audience as I couldn't hear comments up on a stage. Smaller groups where I was much nearer to people was OK.

Yeah I'm afraid if people will ask me questions, orally, especially if I can't see their face. Just a voice out of nowhere after I ask, "Any ques- shoot!"

Yes the text makes sense, as bolded. After all, you are going up the stage and someone else isn't. Apparently you are more worthy to give the speech than someone else. Making sure the speech is worth it to the audience and that the audience will learn a thing or two after listening to your speech is key. That's scary though. Responsibility... Responsibility... gah. :run:

Yes, confidence is a key part. I agree. If you don't have the confidence you won't do well.

High school is a totally different arena and class of people than say older and more mature adults who don't mind hearing what you have to say. In fact, Google up "Stephen Hopson."

Yeah I'm afraid if people will ask me questions, orally, especially if I can't see their face. Just a voice out of nowhere after I ask, "Any ques- shoot!"

Yes the text makes sense, as bolded. After all, you are going up the stage and someone else isn't. Apparently you are more worthy to give the speech than someone else. Making sure the speech is worth it to the audience and that the audience will learn a thing or two after listening to your speech is key. That's scary though. Responsibility... Responsibility... gah. :run:

Which is why to inform your audience of your hearing loss and that any questions they need to raise their hands, stand up and speak clearly. And if necessary, come closer. There are people there closer by who can repeat the question for your. Or if you have an interpreter for that specific thing, try that approach.

Topic is always a tricky thing to discuss. You just have to make it entertaining and/or engaging for them to want to hear what you have to say.

Which is why to inform your audience of your hearing loss and that any questions they need to raise their hands, stand up and speak clearly. And if necessary, come closer. There are people there closer by who can repeat the question for your. Or if you have an interpreter for that specific thing, try that approach.

Topic is always a tricky thing to discuss. You just have to make it entertaining and/or engaging for them to want to hear what you have to say.

Yeah... inform my audience about my hearing. Important. :)

Yep make it engaging, perhaps throw a little humor or entertainment and your speech will be thought as either "spot-on", "excellent", "great execution", and more. Would like to do that kind of communication with the audience. Hopefully my Speech Communication course will have me giving speech without hesitation!

Just give me the paper and I'll do it! :lol: I wish

I had spoken at town meetings know it would be cable TV and I was nervous ! I
was able to joke about saving the city money by not having them get a CART for me during the meetings! That got a few laughs.

Which character fits you? Lucy? Snoopy? Schroeder? Linus? Or Charlie Brown?
Which character fits you?

A that's a good way to break the ice with the audience. They become more receptive to you on what you have to say.

Back