Public Restrooms

Cheri

Prayers for my dad.
Premium Member
Reaction score
To all Parents, What age do you let your children(ren) go in public restrooms alone.

I have search some sources on how other parents felt about their children using the public restrooms alone.

http://parents.berkeley.edu/advice/potty/bathroom.html
http://parentcenter.babycenter.com/comments/bigkid/gsafety/70532
http://www.escapeschool.com/general/bathroom.shtml

Question: When will my son be old enough to use the men’s room by himself?

Answer: Developmentally, I think most kids are ready when they're between 6 and 8 years old. But safety-wise, that's a tough question. Basically, it depends on whether you're in a crowded public arena like Yankee stadium or a more controlled environment like a restaurant. Most children can handle using the restroom alone at a typical restaurant once they're about 6. But it would make me nervous to send my 6-year-old into a restroom alone in a large public area like a stadium or movie theater. It may seem inappropriate to bring a boy that age into the ladies' room with you, but it will give you peace of mind knowing he's safe.

In any situation when your son is using the restroom on his own, but especially if he's in a crowded place, take some basic safety precautions: Avoid restrooms that have more than one entrance. Stand outside the door while he's inside and don't get distracted. If he's not out in a reasonable amount of time, ask someone — preferably a security guard — to go in and check for him.

The best thing you can do is to prepare your son (or daughter, for that matter) for using the restroom on his own. Make it clear that he shouldn't accept any stranger's offer to "help" and that he shouldn't talk to anyone. Tell him to choose a stall close to the door and let him know that if he needs you, you'll be right outside and he can just call out for you.
:Source= http://parentcenter.babycenter.com/expert/bigkid/gsafety/70532.html

I had discuss this in another thread and I'm glad you decide to create this thread to discuss more about this topic here....

I'm a mother of three boys, and when my first son was 7 at that time, I took him in the ladies' restroom with me when we were at the zoo, is because I couldn't allow my son going into the men's restroom all ALONE without anyone I could trust to keep an eye on him while he was in there but some ladies gave me a dirty look or had complain by saying he's too old to come in here etc....I had no choice but to leave, and send him to the men's room alone, I couldn't stand patiently waiting for him, every second went by, I start biting my nails and rocking myself back and fourth wondering if he's ok and not hurt or anything....It was scary to go thru this as a mother, but when he finally came out, I had to hug him and asked him if everything was alright?, some may think I'm one crazy mother to be worried when nothing really did happened...but never know, anything could happen anywhere no matter where you go....

I admit, I am very overprotective mother, and I do have fears in me, so I rather my sons to use the men's restroom unless they're above the age of 13 but since my oldest is 15, he does take his 10 years old brother with him in the men's room, I made sure he will not leave until they both come out the men's restroom together and not leaving one behind....

Now, I have Roadrunner, we go places together all the time with the children, I have nothing to fear about when it comes to using the men's restroom, since Roadrunner will be there to keep an eye on them while they do use the men's restroom....

I honestly dunno what to say about those single mothers out there but I do know that it must be tough and scary to go thru this when it comes to sending off your younger child to the men's restroom ALONE...but then again, where else would they go to the bathroom if they can't use the women's restroom? :dunno:

My children are allowed alone in the restroom.. which they knows not allowed talk strangers in the restroom.. Just simple ignore them and do wash their hands then leave that is it.. I cannot going inside the men restroom and have to wait stand closer to the men restroom. *Waiting while my son finished the restroom* and got out the restroom.
I felt better but sometimes worries about my son what he doing inside the restroom.
Sometimes taking too long.. making me worry yes.. When my son finished restroom and tell me "Sorry Mom, taking you wait for me too long because I'm trying shit out.." I felt little laugh but glad he is safe least he's here with me.

I am curious BullyMom, :hug:

What ages were your children when you allowing them to use the public restrooms alone? If you don't mind me asking. ;)

Bullym0m said:
"Sorry Mom, taking you wait for me too long because I'm trying shit out.."

That's explains why he took forever! :lol:

Interesting...

My oldest son go with me in ladies restroom until he was 8 years old.

I stand outside of gentlemen restroom waiting for my son. My younger son go with his eldest brother to gentlemen restroom because he doesnt feel want to go with me in ladies restroom when he was 7 years old.

Zoo, amusement parks etc. I trust my sons to go restroom alone.

Yeah, when I was in NYC, I went to a public restroom for the first time (I'm almost 19). I went straight to the door and my paraprofessional took care of my pee. He signed "calm down", because I felt weird being in men's bathroom with all of men. I will have to learn how to go to bathroom in certain places since I am doing everything to become more independent.

I had only a daughter, so I didn't have that problem until I had grandsons. A few times I had to let them use the men's room at stores. I don't remember the exact age the oldest one was. But before I would let them go in the men's room I would wait a few minutes, and let the boy check thru the door to see if anyone else was in there. If it was empty, I let him go in. Then, I would wait outside the door and watch if anyone else went in. If I saw anyone going to the men's room door, I stared at him. That was to let him know, "I see your face, and I am watching this door, so don't try anything." Sure, the poor guy was probably innocent, but I care more about my grandsons then the sensitivity of strangers using the public restroom.

Now that I think about it, I think my grandson was about six years old when he didn't want to use the ladies' room. I think once kids start going to school, they learn that boys and girls have to use separate restrooms, and they feel self-conscious about using the "wrong" one.

My youngest grandson was thrilled to begin using the boys' room. The only problem was, he didn't understand the urinal at school. He caused a bit of a commotion when he did "number two" in the urinal (don't ask me how he got up there). That was an interesting note home from the teacher!

Reba said:
when he did "number two" in the urinal (don't ask me how he got up there). That was an interesting note home from the teacher!
lol, that's funny

:lol: Saved by the teacher! Now he knows what to do. :)
I would like to share some experience I had in a restroom in Europe and I admit I was a bit confused myself. I was a college student attending Gallaudet, but it was summer of 1969. I qualified to compete with the USA team in the Deaf Olympics held at Belgrade, Yugoslavia. (Europeans called the city Beograd. That country has drastically changed now.)
The USA team was given a college girls' dorm as a place to stay for 2 weeks. My first time in the restroom on second floor turned out normal as any because I was the only one in at the time. The only thing I was confused then was that there was no toilet seat like we have in USA. Just a hole on the floor near the back wall. Above the hole is a pull switch to flush water down the hole. I had to figure out how to approach this. (scratched my head) I pulled down my you-know-what (music) :roll: and leaned back against the wall using my hands for holding myself away from the wall. I missed the hole! Aaack! :Oops: Next was to figure out how to grab toilet paper while still leaning back and holding myself against the wall. LOL It was a hassling struggle! :o But I finally managed and took the time to clean up the mess.

My second time I entered, I was shocked and confused to see that there were both men and women using the same restroom. I immediately left and wanted answers because I felt quite disturbed by what I saw. I don't remember asking for advice, but I do remember that I had to go to the restroom and it was urgent, grrrr! :pissed: So I went back and took my time to watch and study what is what and try to catch on. I did catch on that where a person needs to release waste has private dividers with doors you can close to maintain your privacy. So I guess I did not notice the first time I entered before. I caught on the second time how to approach the hole in the private section and that was to get into squatting position. That means similar to sitting down with legs folded and knees front of your shoulders and yet not touching any part of the floor with my you-know-what (music). :roll: In this position, I found it best to lean forward just a little for balance. I soon got the hang of it and it was no problem after that. :applause: End of story. It was embarrasing, but an interesting experience. I really don't care about going back to Europe and that is one of the reasons. When I look back (remembered it), I guess it was funny too. :lol:

With this additional post under "Parenting" in reference to helping children deal with public restrooms. I had no problem making sure everything went well with my son and of course, I dare not let very young children go in public restrooms by themselves. My wife did the same for our daughter. I have 2 children. Both are grown up and my daughter married and has 3 kids, a boy and 2 girls. My son is living in Honolulu, Hawaii. He is 32 y.o. and still not married. Oh, btw, Hawaii is such a beautiful state. I can't even describe! It is best to personally go and see it yourself, if you can.
Off the subject if you don't mind, but still related in a way... Potty training seemed to be a tricky situation, but not bad. Glad that is behind me. I learned something about bedwetting and not to get angry at children for wetting their beds during sleep. I found that the bedwetting problem can be cured almost immediately if children reduce sugars and increase proteins at meals. That also meant less candy too. :)

My daughter is 8 years old.. I usually go with her to the restrooms. Sometimes I let her go by herself just to see if she can do this on her own. She seems to know what to do but I still go with her sometimes. I just now started letting her go by herself at age 8..

It depends on the maturity of your child. See if they're ready to be on their own to go to public restrooms or go to the store alone. the child/children are all varied.

My son is six, and I refuse to let him use the mens room. He can go into the women's room, I wait for him by the sinks. Im worried he will be molested or abducted. Maybe when hes 10 or older... he can use the mens room, but Ill be waiting outside, scoping out everyone going in and out. :bye:

katt.

Back