Psych Class

lumosxoxo

Reaction score
Hey!

I'm hearing but i'm extremely interested in the Deaf Culture. I've been watching Youtube videos & I'm trying extremely hard to learn Sign Language. So far I learned the whole alphabet and a bunch of words/phrases. I even enrolled in ASL as one of my courses for next year.

In my Psychology class there are two deaf students who sit in the front of the class and have interpreters. I am so facinated and I always watch the interpreters instead of my teacher. I'm learning Sign Language & Psychology at the same time... :) Ha ha!

When one of the students turned around I was completely mesmerized. I don't believe in "love at first sight" but there was definitely...something. I was thinking of talking to him after class. He was signing with one of his friends and I was looking at him, and he turned around and looked upset. I think he was insecure and thought I was looking at him because he was signing. But I was just looking at him because I think he looks really cute.

I want to talk to him but I don't want him to think i'm stupid because I'm terrible at signing. I'm still learning. Do you have any advice? If you were in a University Psychology class and everyone was hearing, would you think it's stupid if a hearing girl approached you and tried to communicate with you, even if she's sort of awful at signing? Please give me some advice.

I was planning on signing"Hi, how are you?" tomorrow since it's Valentine's Day. Would that be really random?

Thanks.

-Lumosxoxo

No, just walk straight to him, tap his shoulder gently, and said " Hello! I am ASL learner. My name is ______ and I just wanted to say Happy Valentine's Day. " He will appreciate more if you are brave enough to use ASL to him. :)

How do you sign "I just wanted to say". I know the signs for "I" and "want". Is "wanted" any different?

How do you sign "I just wanted to say". I know the signs for "I" and "want". Is "wanted" any different?

Keep it simple. "Happy Valentine's Day!" Then you both can introduce yourselves. Don't clutter your conversation.

Of course there is a third option. Use the universal language. Just walk up, grab their face and plant a big OL kiss.

Show the guy picture of a cool car with turbocharged engine. Ask guy what he thinks. That would be an ice breaker.

Back