PS3 Gets Bigger, Cheaper

They aren't really adding any new features. Actually, they're removing the emotion chip used to play PS2 games. They are going to use an emulation software for it now. The other only change is a bigger hard drive which you can already upgrade to start with.

I think it is PS3 from European version? I means for chip to play PS2 games.

I know. I'm expecting a price drop on all 360 models, but not too soon, more like around the time or after Halo 3/GTA4 comes out.

What are you doing if MS says no price cut on news when come out in all 2007? It had been rumored about price cut in last fall 2006 and again in summer then MS confirmed no price cut since Xbox 360 has been here for 1.5 years, soon be 2nd birthday in Nov.

MS need more profit, that's their reason to not cut on price due lost $4 billion on original xbox.

You already owned Xbox 360 then we don't need worry about price cut as well.

I know. I'm expecting a price drop on all 360 models, but not too soon, more like around the time or after Halo 3/GTA4 comes out.

PS3 dropped their prices less than a year. Xbox 360 hasn't since their launch date which is almost 2 yrs. Plus Xbox 360 still charge 55 a year for gold xbox live while PS3 is free... its easy to figure out which one is cheaper.

41,005 PS3 consoles were sold last week compared to 35,084 for Xbox 360. I reckon it's the bad press Microsoft is getting that's hurting the sales. The price drop on the 60GB model helped quite a bit, I'll say.

Video Game Chartz - Nintendo - Sony - Microsoft - American Weekly Chart

Though 76,394 Wii consoles were sold in the same week. Nintendo is beating both Sony and Microsoft... combined by more than 300 consoles.

Don Mattrick will going to be same position at MS that where Peter were resigned.

Banjo said he isn't good, also he almost destroyed EA.

If he ruin the MS business and left Xbox 360 into Dreamcast-ish that where Xbox 360 would be fail and make MS to left hardware business then rather to port games like Halo on PS3, Wii, DS or PSP. I don't think that would happen, even MS made dumb moves.

MS can fire him if they feel too threated, though.

The price drop is Sony's way of getting rid of their old inventory.

They originally planned to sell two different consoles... the 40 GB version and the 60 GB version.

The 40 GB version was $500 and the 60 GB version was $600.

They decided to focus on just one console. So, they stopped producing the 40 GB version. All that was left was the 60 GB version. That's to be expected since people like getting something that offers more anyway.

Now, they have a 80 GB version and no longer need to produce the 60 GB version. So, they reduce the price of the 60 GB version to $500... to make them sell faster. The new version is the 80 GB version which is now $600.

So, basically... there was no real "OMG! There's an awesome price drop for the Playstation 3! Yay!" It's more of... "Okay, the 60 GB version is now crap. You can have it for $500 instead. The 80 GB version is now $600. Enjoy."

They originally planned to sell two different consoles... the 40 GB version and the 60 GB version.

They decided to focus on just one console. So, they stopped producing the 40 GB version. All that was left was the 60 GB version. That's to be expected since people like getting something that offers more anyway.

Now, they have a 80 GB version and no longer need to produce the 60 GB version. So, they reduce the price of the 60 GB version to $500... to make them sell faster. The new version is the 80 GB version which is now $600.

So, basically... there was no real "OMG! There's an awesome price drop for the Playstation 3! Yay!" It's more of... "Okay, the 60 GB version is now crap. You can have it for $500 instead. The 80 GB version is now $600. Enjoy."

40GB? You are wrong, it's 20GB that where discontinued in last several month ago.

Yes. That's what Sony is doing. 60GB models is now out of production and will sell all of them at $500 to make room for the new model. There's no difference except for the removal of the emotion chip that is needed to play PSX and PS2 games. Instead, they will be using an emulation software.

My bad...

According on Game Informer about rumor on 40GB PS3 with no backward compatibility chips then need have to use emulation or buy PS2 to play PS1/PS2 games, also component cable are supported to receive 480p. It will cost same as Xbox 360 Premium version at $400.

I don't know if rumor is true or not.

You can upgrade the HDD into bigger storage on PS3.

Yes. That's what Sony is doing. 60GB models is now out of production and will sell all of them at $500 to make room for the new model. There's no difference except for the removal of the emotion chip that is needed to play PSX and PS2 games. Instead, they will be using an emulation software.

What the...? You mean if I bought newer PS3, I would not be able to play with my PS2 and PS1 games that I own?

Yeah I feel suckered that I got mine for over 600 dollars without 5 free blu rays. Now they are 500 bucks with 5 free blu rays. Geez man. I dont mind sticking with 60gb since I dont play the whole games... just few poplaur games.

No, they will be adding an emulation software allowing you to play PS1 and PS2 games.

For some reason, I thought emulation software meant you download the games, sort of like VC for Wii. I got confused because you also use emulation on computer to illegally download the video games to play them on the computer.

I just don't want to download games, I just want to use games that I have already bought.

For some reason, I thought emulation software meant you download the games, sort of like VC for Wii. I got confused because you also use emulation on computer to illegally download the video games to play them on the computer.

I just don't want to download games, I just want to use games that I have already bought.

There are many different types of emulators. By the way, they do offer old PS1 games for download on the PS store. I think they are around 5 to 6 dollars each. So it's a good buy for these who don't already own the PS1 games. I might buy 'Crash' from the store since I sold it years ago.

No, You don't need download games for PS2 but emulation software are used to play the PS/PS2 games via read the CD or DVD.

Xbox 360 use emulation for play old Xbox games but more limited than PS3 does.

That's good to know. Whew. I would hate not being able to play some of my favorite games.

Also it's nice that you can buy some of PS1 games, I am sure there's some games I wanted to play but never got em. 5 or 6 dollars is a lot cheaper than 10 dollars for N64 on VC. That's interesting.

Back