Product of deaf school speaks out

Judge Terror

Reaction score
By Sharon McBrayer | The News Herald

Published: May 20, 2009

Morganton - Heath Huggins believes all of Burke County needs to rally around the North Carolina School for the Deaf to keep it open.
The school is being threatened with closing due to budget cuts. A recommendation has been made to the North Carolina General Assembly House Appropriations subcommittee on Health and Human services to consolidate the two deaf schools in the state — one in Morganton and one in Wilson — and the Governor Morehead School for the Blind in Raleigh.
Huggins wants folks to contact lawmakers who will decide the fate of the school.
"The deaf community could be lost if the school is closed," Huggins said.
Huggins has several reasons for wanting to see the school remain in operation. He attended the school from kindergarten through fifth grade, before mainstreaming into Burke County Public Schools.
But it was Vocational Rehabilitation on the campus of the school for the deaf that helped Huggins continue his education at Western Carolina University.
Huggins is now a real estate agent in the county. He also helps deaf and hard-of-hearing individuals find jobs and provide support employment.
There are a lot of deaf people who would lose their jobs if the school closes, Huggins said. He also believes people who depend on the school for work, education or services will move away if it closes.
But it's not just the deaf community that will suffer, Huggins said, the entire community as a whole will suffer because of the loss of jobs. The school employee around 220 people.
"If they close, we will lose a lot in this county," Huggins said.
Huggins urges those in the community to contact members of the N.C. House of Representatives Appropriations Subcommittee on Health and Human Services through their e-mail address. They are:
• Beverly M. Earle (Chairman) - Beverly.Earle@ncleg.net
• Bob England, M.D. (Chairman) - Bob.England@ncleg.net
• Verla Insko (Chairman) - Verla.Insko@ncleg.net
• Jeff Barnhart (V. Chairman) - Jeff.Barnhart@ncleg.net
• Jean Farmer-Butterfield (V. Chairman) -
Jean.Farmer-Butterfield@ncleg.net
• William D. Brisson - William.Brisson@ncleg.net
• Justin P. Burr - Justin.Burr@ncleg.net
• Pearl Burris-Floyd - Pearl.Burris-Floyd@ncleg.net
• Nelson Dollar - Nelson.Dollar@ncleg.net
• Wil Neumann - Wil.Neumann@ncleg.net
• Randy Stewart - Randy.Stewart@ncleg.net
Phone numbers for the members can be found at North Carolina General Assembly - Home Page

Product of deaf school speaks out

Not another one! I hope this doesnt create a domino effect. Stupid f###&*%&*^ lawmakers!

Not another one! I hope this doesnt create a domino effect. Stupid f###&*%&*^ lawmakers!

It is not too late. Now it is the time to contact legislators in NC to keep NCSD open. Email addresses are provided above.

North Carolina General Assembly
HOUSE PRINCIPAL CLERK’S OFFICE (919) 733-7760 FAX (919) 715-2881
NORTH CAROLINA HOUSE OF REPRESENTATIVES
FAX NUMBERS 2007
(H) HOME FAX NUMBER LEGISLATIVE BUILDING: Fax: 919-733-2599
(B) BUSINESS FAX NUMBER LEGISLATIVE OFFICE BUILDING: Fax: 919-733-3113 (rm 109)
(L) LEGISLATIVE FAX NUMBER Fax: 919-715-5815 (rm 618)

Fax them the letters as well.

Must be done before Wednesday, May 27, 2009 when the vote is due to take place regarding the fate of NCSD.

It is not too late. Now it is the time to contact legislators in NC to keep NCSD open. Email addresses are provided above.

North Carolina General Assembly
HOUSE PRINCIPAL CLERK’S OFFICE (919) 733-7760 FAX (919) 715-2881
NORTH CAROLINA HOUSE OF REPRESENTATIVES
FAX NUMBERS 2007
(H) HOME FAX NUMBER LEGISLATIVE BUILDING: Fax: 919-733-2599
(B) BUSINESS FAX NUMBER LEGISLATIVE OFFICE BUILDING: Fax: 919-733-3113 (rm 109)
(L) LEGISLATIVE FAX NUMBER Fax: 919-715-5815 (rm 618)

Fax them the letters as well.

Must be done before Wednesday, March 27, 2009 when the vote is due to take place regarding the fate of NCSD.

It is already past March 27...:confused:

I keep my fingers crossed for this school. It would be a real shame if it closes down.

I keep my fingers crossed for this school. It would be a real shame if it closes down.
We can't just cross our fingers an hope for the best. We have to speak up and educate the legislators in why they should spend money to keep the deaf school open.

We can't just cross our fingers an hope for the best. We have to speak up and educate the legislators in why they should spend money to keep the deaf school open.

I live in england. Is their anything I can do from the other side of the pond?

I live in england. Is their anything I can do from the other side of the pond?

Bob.England@ncleg.net, Verla.Insko@ncleg.net, Jeff.Barnhart@ncleg.net, Jean.Farmer-Butterfield@ncleg.net, William.Brisson@ncleg.net, Justin.Burr@ncleg.net, Pearl.Burris-Floyd@ncleg.net, Nelson.Dollar@ncleg.net, Wil.Neumann@ncleg.net, Randy.Stewart@ncleg.net

Just send those folks above an email. Explain to them why you think they should keep North Carolina School for the Deaf. Must be done by Tuesday night. Check your private email for a letter sample.

Thanks for your help!

Back