Problems with manager at work

She is only the co manager. The store manager is the only one above her. The problem with the situation is that she is related to the district manger.
My store is extremely old... Our video cameras do not work. The only testimony I have is that of my other coworkers.

Thank you everybody for all your advice. I really appreciate it! :ty:

It doesn't matter whether it was in a condescending manner or in a sexual manner, the manager doesn't have a right to touch an employee in any way that makes the employee uncomfortable.

I disagree that IronQueen would simply lose her job because of filing a complaint. More and more companies nowadays are being far more proactive about sexual harrassment complaints. IronQueen should not have to feel afraid to step up and say something. And if she does lose her job because of filing a complaint, then she's got grounds for a lawsuit. And most employers know that.

I agree with the majority of what you have said, and yes, it is completely unacceptable. But the issue really isn't sexual harrassment, because there has been no sexual innuendo. However, it is clearly a case of discrimination based on disability, and that is just as illegal.

Go the the superiors. State your claim plainly, and what you would like to see happen to correct the situation. If it isn't corrected, consult a civil rights attorney.

She is only the co manager. The store manager is the only one above her. The problem with the situation is that she is related to the district manger.
My store is extremely old... Our video cameras do not work. The only testimony I have is that of my other coworkers.

Thank you everybody for all your advice. I really appreciate it! :ty:

Testimony from other co-workers is sufficient. The video cameras not working is actually a plus for you. It shows that they are not very concerned regarding the well being of their employees.

She should rub her chest or pat her butt. Wow, then it's sexual harassment that judge would love to hear the details about the incident. Of course, that would include lawyer and more horny men in attend.

Being treated as a mentally retarded person is never fun. If you are not comfortable telling the manager she is treating you like one, then be ready to speak up next time she is rude to you (especially in front of a customer). A response as suggested earlier is good: The issue here is coupon approval. The customer has been waiting for x minutes. Will you please expediate this? (If you can deliver this message with an icy tone, so much the better).

I would also jerk away with a scathing look when the manager touches you to ensure she gets your meaning.

A conversation would go better, but if the manager is really an idiot or you hate confrontations, then the above is what I would do. If you really want to stick it to her, when she does something mundane like putting something away, pat HER on her back and pay her a stupid compliment. Follow that up with an explanation that if she feels insulted, she shouldn't do that to you either.

Last edited:
but.... it's a female manager... she's just touching her in condescending way, not in a sexual harassment manner. The manager is the supervisor of the store so firstly - just address this issue to her and if she's being combatant/threatening about it.... then step it up to her supervisor. I think it's called regional manager? or district manager?

Filing sexual harassment against employer/manager is not easy and it's difficult. It has to be substantiated with evidence. If there is no record of complaints or no pattern of complaints or no corroborating witnesses, then she's not going to win this. IronQueen will simply lose her job.

It sucks big time but that's how it works in USA. It's understandable to be this difficult because think about how many people would go to jail or fired if it's that easy to file a sexual harassment. In most cases - it's usually very trivial or overly sensitive like I touch you on the shoulder and you conceived it as sexual harassment. Or maybe I look at you from distance like a dirty old man because you're wearing a skirt and you may or may not have an imagination that I actually winked at you like a pervert.
Wouldn't a place like that have security cameras?

VamPyroX: The store that I work at is about 25 years old. Our video camera system, needless to say, does not work. The company won't upgrade such an old store.

Back