Prisoners as relay operator?

Tostitos

Reaction score
Someone I know used to work for text relay service told me something shocking. :o Sometime relay companies "hire" prisoners to fill in demand for relay operator's position.

Now I think about those time when I ordered stuff thru relay using my credit card. Scary thought!

Anyone ever heard of this? Can anyone confirm?

Tostitos said:
Someone I know used to work for text relay service told me something shocking. :o Sometime relay companies "hire" prisoners to fill in demand for relay operator's position.

Now I think about those time when I ordered stuff thru relay using my credit card. Scary thought!

Anyone ever heard of this? Can anyone confirm?

Your serious! I never heard of this. I agree. Don't trust them with my private information.

I am not surprised about it. I bet cons practiced their keyboards to speed up to 99 WPM....

jazzy said:
Your serious! I never heard of this. I agree. Don't trust them with my private information.

Too late and too bad. You already ordered pizza huh...

mld4ds said:
Too late and too bad. You already ordered pizza huh...

very funny :), lucky for me I have hearing husband to order pizza. I can not image for other deafies who depend on them. But some of them have vrs now and they use them alot. This way they can see their face when they relay thru vrs to other.

Soon tty/tdd will become history.

jazzy said:
very funny :), lucky for me I have hearing husband to order pizza. I can not image for other deafies who depend on them. But some of them have vrs now and they use them alot. This way they can see their face when they relay thru vrs to other.

Aww, speaking of VRS.

What if VRS hires ex-con who fluents in ASL and has good memory of cc#.

Good luck...

Extremely likely. I know alot of cheap mail order stores have prisoners (mostly female) taking orders.

Obviously many people on Relay are uneducated, cannot spell and cannot speak good English.

Its much harder to learn ASL than to type! Why would con have to practice for long long long time to master them? I doubt general of them would have this kind of patience. That is the main reason why I prefer VRS!

mld4ds said:
Aww, speaking of VRS.

What if VRS hires ex-con who fluents in ASL and has good memory of cc#.

Good luck...

diehardbiker65 said:
Its much harder to learn ASL than to type! Why would con have to practice for long long long time to master them? I doubt general of them would have this kind of patience. That is the main reason why I prefer VRS!

I bet they practices every hour in the cells. They would collect the Joy of Signs, ASL videos, etc.. That's why they have nothing else to do then they would practice to communate to deaf cons or CODA cons. Am I dead wrong?

Yea, what are the chances? You can't just practice straight out of book. You need another fluent ASL person to continue practice. It would just lucky for these con to find somebody else. Should I worry? NAH!

mld4ds said:
I bet they practices every hour in the cells. They would collect the Joy of Signs, ASL videos, etc.. That's why they have nothing else to do then they would practice to communate to deaf cons or CODA cons. Am I dead wrong?

jazzy said:

Remember there is online relay service. So it does not matter if you have TTY/TDD or not.

Anyway, yeah... no wonder they're terrible typer. LOL

I support VRS! I'll be bummed if they decided to use prisoner who's fluent in ASL. Heh

Yea, but you CAN see who is your terp at the time you would want to make the transaction! With TRS, you can't tell who is the operator. So, with VRS it is more personal touch than TRS.
Golly, it has been a real long time for me to use TRS and TTY! Oh well!

Tostitos said:
I support VRS! I'll be bummed if they decided to use prisoner who's fluent in ASL. Heh

People, please. This deeply offends me that you would think that low of us. No, relay companies are not hiring prisoners. I've talked with several ROs from other companies, and they attest the same. There are 3 parts to the RO certification test, and typing 60 wpm is not as easy as it sounds. And if the company even suspects that you've broken confidentiality, they will fire you at the blink of an eye. A good friend of mine was suspected of breaking confidentiality (which I don't believe she did and the company would not disclose anything other than they suspected her). Most relay operators are college students just trying to make an honest living. Why would you have such a low opinion of us?

Thanks for adding vital information! I already said, what are the chances? That is why I wasn't so concern much about this issues. Whats more, generally people, even employers don't trust any convicts or ex-convicts when it comes to confidential issues. As you see, most ex-convicts are having trouble finding good jobs, especially when it comes to sensitive information being involved. My company will NOT hire ex-convict because they don't want take any chance of having patent related information to be stolen, and sold to their competitors. I have to sign document stating that I can not release any information to anyone, nor having second job that is very similiar to my work.

cental34 said:
People, please. This deeply offends me that you would think that low of us. No, relay companies are not hiring prisoners. I've talked with several ROs from other companies, and they attest the same. There are 3 parts to the RO certification test, and typing 60 wpm is not as easy as it sounds. And if the company even suspects that you've broken confidentiality, they will fire you at the blink of an eye. A good friend of mine was suspected of breaking confidentiality (which I don't believe she did and the company would not disclose anything other than they suspected her). Most relay operators are college students just trying to make an honest living. Why would you have such a low opinion of us?

I just don't want people getting the wrong impression of operators and thinking we're scum bags. I honestly think I have one of most unappreciated, degrading jobs possible. Amd yes, companies would be very reluctant to hire prisoners because of confidentiality. Human Resources for relay companies are smarter than that to hire someone that may jeopardize their standing with the FCC.

Your feelings are valid, didn't mean to offend you. I never thought of operators as scumbag. I think the most degrading job in the employment market is toilet bowl cleaners, sewer cleaners, anything thats way too foul! Those positions, half of ex-cons are perfectly qualified for. What you got to steal, or cheat anything from these kind of positions, eh?

It takes respect to hire somebody to do something that is involved with confidential issues. I once help my friend running business that involves sensitive information. Sure I could take advantage of that in front of me. But, I wanted to keep respect so, respected them.

cental34 said:
I just don't want people getting the wrong impression of operators and thinking we're scum bags. I honestly think I have one of most unappreciated, degrading jobs possible. Amd yes, companies would be very reluctant to hire prisoners because of confidentiality. Human Resources for relay companies are smarter than that to hire someone that may jeopardize their standing with the FCC.

Clarification: I don't mean to offend Cental34 in any way. I am already hooked on VRS over TRS, have nothing to do with this bizzare idea of having prisoner worker for TRS. What I have noticed is that most hearing people who ALREADY have experienced with TRS RATHER dealing with VRS than TRS! I already asked them why? EVERY answer I got was... "This is MUCH faster and smoother conversation and its much natural conversation. One of them already admitted they would hang up on TRS calls but not VRS. Interesting, eh? As matter of fact, I usually get my message acrossed more accurately though VRS more than TRS! I don't know what the heck is wrong with my typing english! But using ASL, and having terp conversed into spoken english seems to reduce alot misunderstanding.

I am NOT here to destroy TRS, I would use TRS anyway whenever I am on the road and NEED to make urgent calls, then that is when I will use TRS.

I have and will always appreciate(d) all of the relay operators like cental34 doing their jobs to serve the deaf/hard-of-hearing community 24-hour a day! I really hope we have the relay services around for many more of years to come. :)

The only time I have had a weird experience was with a new relay operator that will remain nameless. That person was no longer employed as a RO after that incident - they must have discovered it shortly. I am not sure if this would be approrirate for me to talk about it here.

diehardbiker65 said:
Clarification: I don't mean to offend Cental34 in any way. I am already hooked on VRS over TRS, have nothing to do with this bizzare idea of having prisoner worker for TRS. What I have noticed is that most hearing people who ALREADY have experienced with TRS RATHER dealing with VRS than TRS! I already asked them why? EVERY answer I got was... "This is MUCH faster and smoother conversation and its much natural conversation. One of them already admitted they would hang up on TRS calls but not VRS. Interesting, eh? As matter of fact, I usually get my message acrossed more accurately though VRS more than TRS! I don't know what the heck is wrong with my typing english! But using ASL, and having terp conversed into spoken english seems to reduce alot misunderstanding.

I am NOT here to destroy TRS, I would use TRS anyway whenever I am on the road and NEED to make urgent calls, then that is when I will use TRS.

I completely understand. I would choose VRS over TRS anyday if I needed to depend on one or the other. VRS is very convenient and I am glad there is something like it as an alternative to traditional relay.

And thanks Brian for the kind words. Maybe I'm just being mellowdramatic, but with everything that does on through relay, its hard to keep your cool and think positively.

Wonder do you have trouble keeping cool when deaf caller were pissed off at the person, for example customer reps. How do you handle em? Sometimes I go overhead, and when the call is complete and hangs up, I wonder how this poor operator handle the stress that I throw on? I never meant to throw shits on the operator, everything is meant for that person I call in the end not in the middle.
Im sure it is NOT that easy being "neutral meditator" and do NOTHING but exchange the anger if fight is going on.

cental34 said:
Maybe I'm just being mellowdramatic, but with everything that does on through relay, its hard to keep your cool and think positively.

Back