Priest interrupts wedding ceremony

I understand that, to each it's own. Couples choose the wedding... where it takes place, who the minister and the photographer. All weddings have different traditions. One may not agree to the traditions, but respecting the couple as they choose the wedding they planned. It takes a lot of planning and work to prepare that.

The minister should be polite to ask photographer to move back or change position to take snapshot. Threatening to stop the ceremony is over the top, I'm sure all couples do not want a ruined wedding day.

He actually did ask the photographer to move, and he was curt, but polite. He didn't get irate until after the photographer started arguing with him. When the photographer was arguing with him, that was when he said he was going to stop the ceremony.

The priest was just doing his job. every ordained minister i personally know (and I know a LOT) would have done the same exact thing.

watch the video again, the videographer eventually moves when he realizes he is holding up the ceremony. The bridesmaids are all doing what they were instructed to do (which means ground rules were laid out during the rehearsal) and were facing the congregation.

Everyone was doing what they were instructed to do - except the videographer.

I watched it again, but couldn't understand the transcript since it doesn't provide caption on my end. If someone would provide the transcript in the video, that would help. :)

watch the video again, the videographer eventually moves when he realizes he is holding up the ceremony.

I watched it again, but couldn't understand the transcript since it doesn't provide caption on my end. If someone would provide the transcript in the video, that would help. :)

I will look for one. I was able to read his lips, and his expressions. He first said "I am going to have to ask you to step away"

Then the next thing he said was in response to whatever the photographer said.

partial transcript:

>>> scolding from a priest that really puts a bride and groom in an awkward and uncertain predicament. take a listen.

>>> this is a solemn assembly , not a photography session, please move or i will stop. <<<< said in response to what the photographer said - the priest initially asked that the photographer step away from the altar

>> look at the groom's face, and the bride and then back to the groom and then back to the bride. meanwhile, the peeft he's having none of it. you be the judge of this. was it right for him to stop in the middle of that service.

>> well, it sounds to me as if somebody was being invasive to the altar.

>> i think they were just trying to get that background shot, their beautiful faces.

>> you can go either way on it. but you would think, too, that the priest would know there's going to be a camera.

>> the priest is like scat, beat it.

>> you should note it was captured on video. so there was at least one.

>> now you've been on the "today" show and you can book your wedding with father "get out of my face."

>> i would not want that.

http://www.today.com/video/today/53075112#53075210

Maybe Reba can drop in and let us know what was said ???

A little bit more:

Minister stops wedding ceremony to shout at photographers | Mail Online
'Please, sirs, leave':

That was what he said initially, then photographer started arguing with him

Please, sirs, leave,' says the priest, a stern look on his face indicating that he is not willing to negotiate.

Meanwhile, the bride and groom, who moments earlier had been laughing at a joke cracked by the priest during their wedding in Woodloch Pines, Pennsylvania, begin to look very embarrassed.

Asked by one photographer where he would like them to go, the priest responds: 'Anywhere other than here. This is a solemn assembly not a photography session. Please move or I will stop.

'I will stop the ceremony if you do not get out of the way.

'This is not about photography, this is about God.'

The priest obviously felt that they were intruding on the altar.

One commenter, Kamrul Hasan, was the photographer on the receiving end of the priest's ire.

'Well it's not about how I clicked the shutter and they wouldn't be married. My job was to capture their event beautifully. My intention wasn't to kill or hurt anyone with my shutter clicks.

'That priest was just an ass. This was fun outdoor wedding. That’s the reason they didn’t held their ceremony in the Church.'

But ..but ... they had a priest and an altar, that Hasan imposed himself on.

he doesn't get it.

Mr Hasan told MailOnline that he spoke to the priest before the ceremony began, and was only told not to come into the aisle

'His approach was bit wired and rude. But anyway, I let it go. Ceremony started and I was shooting from far angles with 70-200 mm lens. I was the lead shooter so my job was to get great photos of the couples, reactions, all kinds of expressions,' said Mr Hasan.

Nope ... that is the traditional rules for wedding photographers at Episcopalian weddings ... You mean you actually had to be told to NOT STAND AT THE ALTAR??

what a moron!!

Behind "the guy" - "pastor of some sort"

wow .. you sure had a lot of respect :roll:

Yeah? So? I'm aethiest, I would have preferred but as my husbands mothers husband he wanted to do it, so I let him. I only met him maybe 3 times. I think his name was Rick, they got divorced a couple years later, see he had an affair with my husbands mothers best friend. I don't know what flavor of Christian he was, I didn't care then and don't care now. Neither the marriage nor the ceremony had anything to do with him, it wasn't about him.

Yeah? So? I'm aethiest, I would have preferred but as my husbands mothers husband he wanted to do it, so I let him. I only met him maybe 3 times. I think his name was Rick, they got divorced a couple years later, see he had an affair with my husbands mothers best friend. I don't know what flavor of Christian he was, I didn't care then and don't care now. Neither the marriage nor the ceremony had anything to do with him, it wasn't about him.

It was all about you ... right? like everything else is?

It wasn't about your in laws, it wasn't about family ... just you (no,no I "get it" you are an atheist so that somehow gives you a right to disrespect people of faith).

To clarify what I am conveying (before you take offense) ... I am not an Orthodox Jew. Just because I am not an Orthodox Jew does not mean I refuse to attempt to learn about their culture, customs and beliefs. It does not mean that I lack respect for their faith, heritage and customs. I have been to an Orthodox Jew wedding, and I showed respect. I wore the Yarmulke when I entered the Temple. I spent the better part of the day joking around with one of the Rabbis and learning about the symbolism in a Jewish wedding. Their customs are far, far, different than a traditional Christian wedding ... and they last a LOT longer. They also hold their beliefs as very, very sacred. Just because I do not share their beliefs does not mean I poke fun at what they consider sacred, just because I do not understand it.

However, there is one thing in common between an Orthodox Jewish wedding and a traditional Christian wedding. They both do not feel the wedding day is only about the couple. The wedding, and the marriage, is about two separate families that are being united. In other words, after my marriage, my wife's sister became my sister. Her children became my nieces and nephews, my sisters and brothers became my wife's sisters and brothers. Their children became her family's children ... her father, became my father ... etc. And yes, her family treats me like family - my family treats her like family. So even though the wedding day is sometimes focused on the couple, that isn't what it is all about.

It was rude if the priest to disrupt the ceremony in the first place. A collar doesn't give him carte Blanche to do whatever he wants, and no it wasn't his right. It wasn't his ceremony to disrupt, it was the bride and grooms. No he doesn't have the right to rudely ruin someone's wedding ceremony just because someone was annoying him.

Wondering how many people will use him for their wedding in the future. I sure as hell wouldn't.

this is no different from golf/tennis game where people should know to be courteous and quiet not to be disruptive for players. a player can stop a game if an audience is being disruptive.

I agree with what Reba said. the wedding photographer should know what to do in a non-disruptive way.

It was all about you ... right? like everything else is?

It wasn't about your in laws, it wasn't about family ... just you (no,no I "get it" you are an atheist so that somehow gives you a right to disrespect people of faith).

To clarify what I am conveying (before you take offense) ... I am not an Orthodox Jew. Just because I am not an Orthodox Jew does not mean I refuse to attempt to learn about their culture, customs and beliefs. It does not mean that I lack respect for their faith, heritage and customs. I have been to an Orthodox Jew wedding, and I showed respect. I wore the Yarmulke when I entered the Temple. I spent the better part of the day joking around with one of the Rabbis and learning about the symbolism in a Jewish wedding. Their customs are far, far, different than a traditional Christian wedding ... and they last a LOT longer. They also hold their beliefs as very, very sacred. Just because I do not share their beliefs does not mean I poke fun at what they consider sacred, just because I do not understand it.

However, there is one thing in common between an Orthodox Jewish wedding and a traditional Christian wedding. They both do not feel the wedding day is only about the couple. The wedding, and the marriage, is about two separate families that are being united. In other words, after my marriage, my wife's sister became my sister. Her children became my nieces and nephews, my sisters and brothers became my wife's sisters and brothers. Their children became her family's children ... her father, became my father ... etc. And yes, her family treats me like family - my family treats her like family. So even though the wedding day is sometimes focused on the couple, that isn't what it is all about.

I don't disrespect his faith, it didn't matter what it was, so I never found out. His religion was not relevant. Hmmm I wonder how respect he had for his own religion considering he had an affair, being a man of the cloth and all, whichever cloth it was. And yes the marriage was about me, and my husband, obviously. No it's not about anything else but the two people marrying. Ex husband, now though, because he turned out just as unstable as his mother, I think that was her 4th husband? Seriously this was like 15 years ago, I met the man 3 times I'm surprised I remember his name, he has no relevance to my life, he's just "the guy" who performed the ceremony. It could have been anybody.

It was rude if the priest to disrupt the ceremony in the first place. A collar doesn't give him carte Blanche to do whatever he wants, and no it wasn't his right. It wasn't his ceremony to disrupt, it was the bride and grooms. No he doesn't have the right to rudely ruin someone's wedding ceremony just because someone was annoying him.
A camera doesn't give this photographer carte blanche either to do whatever he wants. he was clearly disrupting a wedding.

would you like it if a photographer is blocking your view during the whole wedding ceremony or during a very important "now-you-may-kiss-the-bride" moment?

the only time and place a photographer can control and do whatever he wants - his rules.. his way... is his own photo studio. in this case - a priest was in control.

Wondering how many people will use him for their wedding in the future. I sure as hell wouldn't.
quite plenty. he's a priest with a church and probably hundreds of followers who will use him to wed them. this couple didn't exactly find him from yellow page.

the correct question is - I'm wondering how many people will use this photographer for their weddings... he didn't look professional.

You know not know if the Priest made anything rules crystal clear . And the person taking the photos would not know that and could had been doing what the couple wanted . The Priest is not the one paying for the wedding ,, he was hire to marry the couple and he was out of place. You can tell the couple look very uncomfortable by the look on their faces .
and I think it should be up to your son who perform his wedding if he want to get married.

no. he was not hired to wed the couples. a priest was ASKED to wed them.

the couples were most likely uncomfortable by how the photographer reacted.

you keep hitting the nail on the head Jiro.

Something I just remembered ... at my grandmother in law's funeral Saturday, Father Paul, who officiated the funeral ceremony, had to ask the ASL interpreter to move from the altar. The interpreter was standing next to one of the Deacons at the altar as he recited a passage from Psalms. It was a non-issue and the interpreter moved. My wife and I, and our deaf friends, were sitting to the right of the altar and the interpreter moved over to us.

There is possibly a lot of confusion - none of which is ill intentioned - by people whom are not at all familiar with how religious ceremonies are conducted.

Interesting, it actually happened. IMO, it wouldn't look good with a videographer/photographer behind the priest because the guests wouldn't enjoy the view. In my wedding, they stayed out of the guests' view.

GTMcTHc.jpg

It looks more beautiful without them behind the priest.

That tent-like arch is the altar. I have been to outdoor weddings, where the altar was a gazebo type structure - but this wedding appears to have been officiated at a Golf Course - so a temporary structure makes sense. See how the bride and groom are facing the priest, and the bridesmaids, groomsmen are facing the bride and groom? They will turn and face the congregation once the groom kisses his bride and the priest makes the announcement that he is presenting "Mr. and Mrs. ______" to the world. notice how the priest is addressing the bride and groom and facing them, and he is also addressing the congregation (the family members of the bride and groom)? The family and friends of the bride are behind the bride, the family and friends of the groom are behind the groom - separated by the aisle. All of these settings are part of the ceremony and symbolic. There is a symbolic meaning behind each and every one of these things in the wedding. The families and friends, bride and groom, separated by an aisle, until the Priest joins the families when the bride and groom are wed. Once the priest announces that "Mr. and Mrs. _______" are officially married, the two separate families, divided by an aisle, are now one family.

Notice how there is no one else at the altar other than the priest, the bride and the groom?

That is the way it is supposed to be.

I still can't believe the photographer said what he did SMH. He was trying to fault the priest - believe me dude, there are far too many people out there that know the rules and the code of conduct at traditional Christian weddings that will view the photographer's actions as nothing more than arrogance.

Ok, for one thing, not knowing that you are not supposed to intrude on the altar could be attributed to honest ignorance, but I don't really see how ... but to turn around and call the Priest an ass and attempt to pin the "ruined wedding" on a Priest doing his job is inexcusable.

Any photographer should at least attempt to educate themselves about these things beforehand. That is what a professional does.

compromise let photographer take three or four pics then stop..I felt sorry for bride and groom bit perdantic and cruel..funerals the in thing to take pics of i wonder what he do then

At this point I am inclined to fault the priest for not making sure the photographer understood completely what the priest was expecting during the rehearsal. The priest then made things worst by blowing up during the service!

Also, the priest must have very, very acute hearing if the clicks were bothering him when the photographer said "Ceremony started and I was shooting from far angles with 70-200 mm lens." And how could he have actually been at the altar if he was "shooting from far angles"?

obviously The couple, priest and photograpger all didn't discuss about the photograper should be located during the wedding time. Oh well.

At this point I am inclined to fault the priest for not making sure the photographer understood completely what the priest was expecting during the rehearsal. The priest then made things worst by blowing up during the service!

Also, the priest must have very, very acute hearing if the clicks were bothering him when the photographer said "Ceremony started and I was shooting from far angles with 70-200 mm lens." And how could he have actually been at the altar if he was "shooting from far angles"?

The photographer could had been a friend of the couple and never taken wedding photos before. I agree the priest should had said something to the couple before he agreed to marry them, then the couple could decide if they wanted to have that priest marry them. It sound like there was not very good commutation between all the parties involve. And the priest should had realize people can get very nervous right before or during a wedding
and the having the most experience should had made sure everyone knew their places . I hope the couple where able to enjoy their wedding after this happen.

Behind "the guy" - "pastor of some sort"

wow .. you sure had a lot of respect :roll:

When my mother dies we had to get a Rabbi as mom did not have her own Rabbi while in the nursing home. The Rabbi never met my mom so he called my 2 sisters and me , the Rabbi was not able to reach me so he only spoke to my older and younger sister . My older sister told the Rabbi that our dad was an abusive alcoholic and some other things about our parents . We had a graveyard burial the Rabbi started talking about my mom then he said her husband was "an abusive alcoholic " . Everyone was shocked and when the Rabbi was putting on our mourning pins my 2 sisters said " thank you Rabbi"
When I had my mourning pin put I said nothing as I was upset that the Rabbi disrespected my dead father in front of people at my mother's funeral. And I thought that Rabbi was an ass! I called the Rabbi from the temple in my city and he was very upset and wanted to know the Rabbi name. That Rabbi does not deserve my respect , he did not call one of my sister and ask them if I could be reach at another #.

When my mother dies we had to get a Rabbi as mom did not have her own Rabbi while in the nursing home. The Rabbi never met my mom so he called my 2 sisters and me , the Rabbi was not able to reach me so he only spoke to my older and younger sister . My older sister told the Rabbi that our dad was an abusive alcoholic and some other things about our parents . We had a graveyard burial the Rabbi started talking about my mom then he said her husband was "an abusive alcoholic " . Everyone was shocked and when the Rabbi was putting on our mourning pins my 2 sisters said " thank you Rabbi"
When I had my mourning pin put I said nothing as I was upset that the Rabbi disrespected my dead father in front of people at my mother's funeral. And I thought that Rabbi was an ass! I called the Rabbi from the temple in my city and he was very upset and wanted to know the Rabbi name. That Rabbi does not deserve my respect , he did not call one of my sister and ask them if I could be reach at another #.

Your story reminds me of a scathing obituary placed in the paper not too long ago. It was placed there by the children of an abusive mother. Reading it made me cringe.

I am Irish - and my nana taught me to never speak ill of the dead.

Back