Predjudism Between Deaf and Hearing People

I am new to ASL, and to the concept of seperate Deaf communities. I have known a few deaf people in my life, and they seemed to be regular members of the community, and not let their disabilities stop them from living life how they want to. I really respect that.
Now I'm looking into Deaf communities online, and I seem to get an undertone of predjudism, and separation between the deaf and the hearing. Can anyone speak to this and give me a little more insight?

it comes from the frustration both sides have struggling to communicate with each other.

A little irony that I think pertains to this thread. I work with a teacher who is deaf (in a public school district) who does not sign. Having taken ASL I and currently being in ASL II makes it very difficult for me to communicate with him. I actually have to put my hands in my pockets, behind my back, or something so that I am not tempted to sign when I talk with him. I actually find the whole situation somewhat uncomfortable. Here I am, a hearing person, who is learning a new language, that while still learning, it actually feels rather natural, and I find it difficult to communicate with someone in which I would think it would also be natural. Anyone else have a similar experience?

Yes. And I just go ahead and sign. Now that my sign language has gotten rusty I've forgotten a lot of the signs I need but I don't let that slow me down. After all if they look down on ASL they won't know the difference anyway, so I just let my hands fly in any old direction.

its a cultural thing

everyone is speaking on this topic from their own subjective and biased view- so please let me share my perspective (and yes, bias).

I'm HoH and grew up in the hearing world. My siblings were HoH too. I've experienced many of the same isolating and patronizing events as others but I've also had a family who "normalized" me at home since we were all the same.

The way I see it, there is two ways to describe being deaf. First, there is the medical term of being deaf - which means you are not able to hear. Then there is the cultural group of the Deaf (capital D). This group includes those with no hearing who use ASL exclusively all the way to those who are HoH. The second group are vocal about maintaining a status as a minority group. Those who are deaf, may or may not be Deaf. There are many deaf individuals who are happy with their lack of hearing but do not consider themselves to be a separate cultural group.

I understand the Deaf and I applaud many of their stances. However, like any group that has been victimized by prejudice in the past, I see them taking a stance that actually promotes further separation. But this could also be a response to how I've been treated myself.

With an 80% hearing loss, I probably should associate more with the deaf side of me. But I grew up in the hearing world and I love the hearing world. I would like to be a part of the deaf world too, but I'm afraid to get involved. I've been shunned a bit in the past because I dont want to be Deaf. I would like to accept my deafness more and associate with the Deaf but that is not hte world for me. However, I cannot hear well enough to join the hearing world completely. I guess I am a mixed cultural group in that sense. At some point, a person has to choose.

I am not racist, but I can understand why there is racial tension. Differences between an American and, say, a Chinese person could be difficult to overcome for a weak minded person. But why is it such a big deal for a person to not be able to hear? I see that as a minor difference here. I wouldn't shun someone for missing an arm, or being in a wheel chair.

Trust me, it happens quite frequently. When I was hearing and in a wheelchair, often people assumed I was frail, cognitively impaired, or contagious. Now that I'm Deaf and have a deaf accent, some are sure of it. :ugh:

Trust me, it happens quite frequently. When I was hearing and in a wheelchair, often people assumed I was frail, cognitively impaired, or contagious. Now that I'm Deaf and have a deaf accent, some are sure of it. :ugh:

And, I am certain as well, DeafDoc1, that the shunning occurs more frequently to those with disabilities than to those with a racial difference (except perhaps, in these days, those of Middle Eastern decent). We seem to have made much more progress in acceptance of and celebration of racial differences than we have in regard to physical differences.

And, I am certain as well, DeafDoc1, that the shunning occurs more frequently to those with disabilities than to those with a racial difference (except perhaps, in these days, those of Middle Eastern decent). We seem to have made much more progress in acceptance of and celebration of racial differences than we have in regard to physical differences.

exactly.

have you noticed when it comes to diversity courses offered at the college level that they primarily focus on religion, gender, sexual orientation or race and very rarely on disability?

exactly.

have you noticed when it comes to diversity courses offered at the college level that they primarily focus on religion, gender, sexual orientation or race and very rarely on disability?

Absolutely. And cultural differences are discussed in the same way in multiculturalism classes...never is something like Deaf culture a part of the discussion.

Only in classes at the graduate level for psychologists/counselors is disability discussed as a factor in the personal development or cultural orientation of the individual.

Absolutely. And cultural differences are discussed in the same way in multiculturalism classes...never is something like Deaf culture a part of the discussion.

Only in classes at the graduate level for psychologists/counselors is disability discussed as a factor in the personal development or cultural orientation of the individual.

i have a real problem with that.

I couldn't agree more. All the more reason that, even when I'm having a bad day, I remember that a person's interaction with me may help shape their attitudes toward others with disability. We attract more flies (or friends) with honey than with vinegar.

There is only two forms of prejudice still acceptable in America- weight and disability.

Disability though is not seen as a cultural phenomenon except by professionals (as someone pointed out). Disability is seen through the lens of a medical mindset. This is the primary reason that Deaf culture is not studied in multiculturalism since a lack of hearing is a health issue, not a cultural issue. It doesn't help that even those who are deaf cannot agree on if they are a separate culture or not- which to me just proves they are like any other minority!

I couldn't agree more. All the more reason that, even when I'm having a bad day, I remember that a person's interaction with me may help shape their attitudes toward others with disability. We attract more flies (or friends) with honey than with vinegar.

this is so true doc and is exactly the reason why i always try to educate others on deafblindness and bipolar. i may be unable to reach the masses, but as long as i'm able to reach one person, i consider my efforts to be a success.

this is so true doc and is exactly the reason why i always try to educate others on deafblindness and bipolar. i may be unable to reach the masses, but as long as i'm able to reach one person, i consider my efforts to be a success.

It worked! You've educated me quite a bit about DB. :ty:

There is only two forms of prejudice still acceptable in America- weight and disability.

Disability though is not seen as a cultural phenomenon except by professionals (as someone pointed out). Disability is seen through the lens of a medical mindset. This is the primary reason that Deaf culture is not studied in multiculturalism since a lack of hearing is a health issue, not a cultural issue. It doesn't help that even those who are deaf cannot agree on if they are a separate culture or not- which to me just proves they are like any other minority!

I think there is consensus to the concept of Deaf culture. However that does not mean that everyone who is deaf IDs culturally as deaf, just as not everyone with an Hispanic bloodline IDs as culturally Hispanic. That doesn't mean the culture doesn't exist.

Lack of hearing is a health issue only if you subscribe to the medical model.

I haven't had very good experience w/ hearies cuz they seem to always make fun of me and shun me for not being like them.

I agree with what was being said before about having the classes in race/ethnicity, orientation and religion - I've taken some of those in college and been to anti-racism/"multicultural" workshops - BUT there IS the lack of teaching on Deaf culture in these "cultural-discussion" settings. Even in the first ASL class I took, it was taught by a hearing man and an emphasis on acquiring of vocab., which I do think it is good, but other aspects were not much discussed or focused on.

NEWIDME ,

I am sorry you had bad experiences - am hearing and don't shun you :wave:
I know what it's like to be shunned - as a child I had language problems and was in speech therapy for several years as I talked late. I was in pull-out Special Ed. and this was in a different building so the other kids knew it and being kids, did shun me and make fun and were physically hurtful as well, cause I talked differently and had undiagnosed LD <diagnosed in college>

Wow. :shock:

That was certainly a zinger of a question wasn't it? I would like to add this thought. Yes, it is absolutely silly, selfish, and unreasonable for hearing people to refuse to learn sign. I will be finding out just what my family will be willing to do for me when I ask them to learn it. I suspect that, at least from my mother, I will be told off for even thinking such a thing. But it is also silly, selfish, and unreasonable for deaf people to snub hoh or people who weren't born deaf because they aren't at the 'same' level. It's called an eye-for-an-eye people. It's wrong and yet, we're doing it anyway, because somehow we think it will make us feel better. It never does though, does it?

Back