potty training tips?

We are potty training Lilly right now. There are several books on potty training that are written for kids. Show him the books with pictures showing kids sitting on the potty set. Show him thats what kids do. Also we use stickers as a reward system.
Try to start out by letting him see you sit on the toilet. We set Lillys potty next to the toilet. When we went to the bathroom, she would follow. I would sit down and convince her to sit on her seat like a big girl. When she sits down praise her. Let her know that you are proud of her for sitting.
Once she gets that down, try turning on the bathroom sink. The sound of running water usually will make anyone pee.
Another tirck is, when ever you change a diaper, take em to the potty and have em sit down. Eventually, they will pee in the potty. When they finally do pee in the seat, make a huge deal out of it. Smile and carry on like they just saved the preidents life. Jump up and down and clap. Then reward them. As I said, we use stickers. Every time Lill yuses the potty, she runs into the kitchen and stands in front of the refrigerator waiting for a sticker. We make a big deal out of letting her choose which sticker she wants.
When the paper gets full of stickers, I take it down, and take Lilly and the sticker covered paper to the toy store and let her pick out an inexpensive toy. Before she gets to pick the toy, I show her the sticker covered paper and explain that because she pottied so well and so many times, she gets a toy.
Bribery.... Yes. But it works :cheers:

Bribary does work!!

Our daughter go a candy when she used the toilet. At night she still wore dipers... until a couple of days ago. Now the candy has stopped for use of the toilet during the day. We explained it to her and she understands. She does get a candy when sh's dry in the morning. We stopped using diapers at night... A hassle changing the sheets every morning, but now she get's it.... partly because of the candy...

But stickers is a good idea as well. Have to try that!

Stickers work well! Yesterday when I woke up around lunch time (I was working 3pm-11pm the night before) a walked into the kitchen and my daughter grabbed my hand and walked me to the regrigerator and pointed to the sticker she earned earlier in the day. She was very proud of that sticker.
As I said before, when thye use the potty and they get a sticker, make a huge deal out of it. Jump up and down cheering, and clapping with a huge grin on your face.

LisaMarie said:
TRUST ME... I did EVERYTHING to potty train my now 3 yrs old son!! Turned out that you are suppose to let him potty on his own naturally because its work that way! It worked on my son! At first i was like huh no! i need to to have him potty trained! His pre school teacher said noo.. let him go on his own and I wasnt sure if I should take her advice but I decided I took her advice and all suddenly it worked!!! So let him be! he will eventually did it! :) Patience with him all i can say

Yes, I do the same with my sons.

I didn´t train my children how to do with potty but let my boys to watch the example of their parents. That´s how I did.

I do simply is kept on tell my children. "Mummy has to go toilet". They followed me to see what I do with my business etc. (I don´t hide from them what I do with my business at toilet). I sign them with my hand on my nose "smelly" eg. I do the same with them when I change their diaper (nappy) to sign them with my hand on my nose "smelly". It helps them to convince what it´this.
My hubby do is sat on the toilet seat to show our children the example because we don´t want them to watch their Dad do as "fireman" because they can copy them to play as fireman..
It took them some months to realize what the toilet is for. They asked me themselves automaic to sit them on the toilet seat. They refused sit on the potty but adult toilet seat so we bought potty with 2 step to add on toilet seat. They likes it. They show us something with clue what they want to go toilet.

I do the same with my sons like that. It works.

I remind them before go to bed.

My 1st son is diaper (nappy) free when he was over 3 years old (he copied his baby brother - take him few months to realize that he's not baby )

My 2nd son is daper (nappy) free when he was under 3 years old.

My son was 2 1/2 years old. I taught him to go toilet. And he wore underwear instead using pull up because pull up is same as diaper. He learned so fast in 2 day expect poop he had little hard time. He didnt like poop in his underwear. I said see you need go toilet. He learned in 1 week about poop. I only made him wear diaper at night. After two week He didnt wear any diaper anymore.

Guess what He didnt like bottle with cover to drink when he was 2 years old. He wanted use adult cup. I trust him so he did very well with drink a cup without cover.

Liebling:-))) said:
I didn´t train my children how to do with potty but let my boys to watch the example of their parents. That´s how I did.

I do simply is kept on tell my children. "Mummy has to go toilet". They followed me to see what I do with my business etc. (I don´t hide from them what I do with my business at toilet).

That's what I did with my daughter. We actually bought her a potty when she was 18 months old and I put it next to the toilet. Every time I went I had her come with me to see what I did and I encouraged her to play on the potty with her nappy/diaper on. She did that for 6 months I reckon before she started asking to do it for real.

I definitely agree with the others - no pushing, they will do it when they are ready. Pushing makes it worse because it becomes a control/battle of wills thing.

I have a friend though who practices something called elimination communication and she trained her 4 month old daughter to go on cue and when they are at home her daughter does not wear nappies/diapers. Apparently much of the world practices this - makes sense as disposables would be expensive in poorer parts of the world.

To me, potty training is sort of "force"...

I prefer to show my children what wrong or right way instead of tell them something what we want...

Show children something belongs patience.

3 OF MY KIDS left the potty at 3.
the 4th one is still training at 4,he just wont let go:pissed:
and hes started nursery:fingersx:

I just found this thread and was interesting what everyone has to say especially their children's ages. Wow I have five siblings. My oldest brother was done training before one year old but the rest of us just alittle over a year old. As I was listening what you guys talking ... it seems because back in my time... we wear cloth diapers with safety pins. That was because pull up or whatever wasn't invented yet. As a couple here mentioned about not to use pull up could be the best thing.

One time I took one nephew and one niece (they are brother/sister) out for fun. Their younger sister was cried and wanted to come with us but she was too young (almost two years old) at the times. Two days later my brother called me to say the youngest one is ready to come with me because he told her that she can't come with me because she's still wearing diaper and now she's done. Ha ha .. two days later. I thought it was funny.

My daughter will be 3 in December and is still wearing pullups. Most of the time her pullup is dry in the morning and she goes to the potty when she's being told. If I ask her if she wants to use the potty she'll say, no! Ha! For the past 2 weeks she hasn't pooped in her pullups only because I smelled her tootin' around and I tell her to use the potty. Few minutes later she'd leave a big present! She still pees in her pullups during the day though.

Also, she totally refuse to use the potty when she's at her grandparents' house while I'm working. Wonder why? I only work 2 days a week, sometimes 3. I tell her if she wants to go to school and be with the kids then she needs to use the potty. Sometimes it works and sometimes not. I'd like her to get into preschool at the end of the year and be totally potty trained.

Back