post office cuts saturday

I think it is union contract that put PSE at most priority for lay off, but the congress or the court could break the union contract.

I heard about anytime, if USPS need restructuring and they have to get the congress to approve it, like USPS ask for stamp cost increase so the congress said no. I could be wrong about that.
I am not sure but I think it needed approval from the Postal board or something like that. It already increased one cent for first class letters.

I am not sure but I think it needed approval from the Postal board or something like that. It already increased one cent for first class letters.

Yup, I remember about one cent increase, so I'm not complained, however it won't save USPS. :(

In addition to LA plant near downtown, the other plants are in City of Industry, Santa Ana, Long Beach and Van Nuys currently. I think Pasadena is closed. I am not sure about Inglewood.

and rest of workers can afford to move and live in there?

and rest of workers can afford to move and live in there?
Those cities are not far from each other. What's more, many of LB employees live 1-2 hours away so it doen't make a difference to them. As for me, I drive 15 mins per trip either to LB or LA. Stop worrying.

I believe the Long Beach sort facility is the biggest (if not one of the) ones in southern CA. A lot of stuff gets rerouted there from the smaller facilities. The post office in La Palma (where Dorner is from) is one of the few offices around the area that are open till the latest on Mon-Sat.

With this thing going on, I can definitely see the central and east coast needing less PO's. There's a lot of small east coast PO's that don't get a lot of service, I'm thinking about Ohio, Kansas, WV, places like that. In the big metros like LA, DC, NY, there's a lot of small businessowners who rely on packages.

Those cities are not far from each other. What's more, many of LB employees live 1-2 hours away so it doen't make a difference to them. As for me, I drive 15 mins per trip either to LB or LA. Stop worrying.

oh I'm not worried about you at all. I'm worried about my tax money being wasted to keep resuscitating a dead body.

my god... USPS is bleeding $25 million a day (or around $16 billion a year).... I'm demanding Congress to let it die and get it privatized.

you seem to have an excuse for everything and I wonder how many more excuses you've got left. well I hope you have a good excuse for when you no longer have a job. hopefully UPS or FedEx has lot of available spots for ya'all.

oh I'm not worried about you at all. I'm worried about my tax money being wasted to keep resuscitating a dead body.

my god... USPS is bleeding $25 million a day (or around $16 billion a year).... I'm demanding Congress to let it die and get it privatized.

you seem to have an excuse for everything and I wonder how many more excuses you've got left. well I hope you have a good excuse for when you no longer have a job. hopefully UPS or FedEx has lot of available spots for ya'all.

I don't agree about USPS should be gone, so there are many businesses rely on USPS at cheaper rate, so only USPS need to restructuring to make sustainable and they said packaging have increased at fast rate, but letters are declining.

The congress - good luck and it won't be easy.

I don't agree about USPS should be gone, so there are many businesses rely on USPS at cheaper rate, so only USPS need to restructuring to make sustainable and they said packaging have increased at fast rate, but letters are declining.

The congress - good luck and it won't be easy.

that's not what I said.

I said "....get it privatized."

just like all other companies... they bankrupted and restructured itself with new management/plan/etc. and that's exactly what we should do for USPS.

I think it is union contract that put PSE at most priority for lay off, but the congress or the court could break the union contract.

I heard about anytime, if USPS need restructuring and they have to get the congress to approve it, like USPS ask for stamp cost increase so the congress said no. I could be wrong about that.

I was under the impression first class postage is raised in accordance to US inflation, not based on increasing cost of services.

that's not what I said.

I said "....get it privatized."

I think it will be very hard because of constitutional amendment.

The congress is battling about how to save the USPS for years and no major success.

I think it will be very hard because of constitutional amendment.

The congress is battling about how to save the USPS for years and no major success.

don't worry about constitutional amendment. I'm not interested in it. we're aware of it and we don't need to be reminded about it again.

let us discuss about solutions in this thread. any solutions. my solution? let it die. lay off many jobs. file for bankruptcy. shut down probably a quarter of facilities including post offices in expensive estates. relocate post offices to busy places like malls. slash all high salaries + benefits. and lastly... squash these corrupted unions that are bleeding USPS dry.

don't worry about constitutional amendment. I'm not interested in it. we're aware of it and we don't need to be reminded about it again.

let us discuss about solutions in this thread. any solutions.

not worried? The privatization of USPS require those action, so it means privatization will be out of question.

There is other solution - USPS need to fix the expensive pension system and they are biggest part that can bankrupt the USPS.

not worried? The privatization of USPS require those action, so it means privatization will be out of question.

There is other solution - USPS need to fix the expensive pension system and they are biggest part that can bankrupt the USPS.

again... we know that and we don't need to be reminded again. you're making same posts at least 20x already. let's discuss about any solutions rather than being reminded again about Congress or constitutional amendment, si?

like I said - privatization is a very good idea and everybody's demanding for it. It has worked well in Europe.

I think the BEST useful services for USPS is based on the following in order of importance, however different people have different priorities for each.

Package shipments: Amazon, Ebay, Newegg, personal, whatever else online retailer you are buying from.
Domestic/International Money orders: Better than personal checks by a mile, and safer than cash.
International Passport service
PO Boxes
Letters
Junk mail

Find a way to sort these into privatization then it will be solved. Some seem pretty tough, since you can't privatize a PO Box and money orders might be tougher since it's not a gov agency.

again... we know that and we don't need to be reminded again. you're making same posts at least 20x already. let's discuss about any solutions rather than being reminded again about Congress or constitutional amendment, si?

like I said - privatization is a very good idea and everybody's demanding for it. It has worked well in Europe.

like one in Germany?

By your limited, I haven't much to say about how to improve the USPS, except for change the retirement system, close the underperforming branches, sell the services, increase the stamp cost, end the Saturday delivery and some lists. I don't think those action will be helpful to USPS in long term. :(

I'm predicting that USPS will continue to operate in a lot of losses and max out the credit - no doubt.

I'm predicting that USPS will continue to operate in a lot of losses and max out the credit - no doubt.

The USPS is supposed to be a government agency that provides useful services for its costs, not an investment that tries to make money like UPS or FedEx.
I don't think the US government ever really designed USPS to make money ever since 1776.

The USPS is supposed to be a government agency that provides useful services for its costs, not an investment that tries to make money like UPS or FedEx.
I don't think the US government ever really designed USPS to make money ever since 1776.

perhaps it's time that USPS reverts back to its core functions (like.. Pony Express :lol: ) and eliminate any "extra services". they should not act like UPS/FedEx if they cannot generate money to be self-sufficient.

I don't see any reason for USPS to have an international shipping service or have its own post office in a quiet, sleepy town.

I work at LB plant for 27 years (I used to work in Boston for 1 year before swap) so I witness everything going on daily.

One of the solutions is to reduce the numbers of custodians who earn $51k/yr and ETs (Electronic Technicans) who earn at least $70k/yr because we have too many ETs who almost do nothing during Tour 1 and Tour 3, just sitting around (even some of them sleep on the job - several years ago the old plant manager suspended them but the current plant manager does nothing about it) and some custodians are assigned to clean few offices and one restroom in the adm bldg only while one custodian who is deaf is assigned to clean 10 restrooms (both men's and women's) and also empty trash cans, dustmop on the workfloor every night. If you see it yourself, you will understand what I am talking about.

One custodian PSE become 204B (temp supervisor in Maint dept). He flirts with women on the workfloor all night. That's all he does. :shock:

I wish PMG saw all of it like I did so he would do something about it. Maybe I should write a letter to him about it. :hmm:

The clerks and mailhandlers are very busy to operate the machines and sort the mails for 8-12 hrs per day. Some of them don't take their breaks on time (hold breaks until the end of the tour). In other words, if the numbers of clerks and mailhandlers are reduced, you would get your mail/packages at least three days late. Guaranteed! PMG knows since he always thanks us for hard work.

As for consolidations, that's understandable because of high utility bills, I think it costs one plant $25k/month for electric bill. However, some workers complain about the closing because they don't want to work in LA.

Back