post office cuts saturday

No, that's the clerk's job to pull them out. If it's still stuck, the clerk calls ET to remove the belt(s) and take the mails out. The clerks are not allowed to remove the belts. Most of the times, the jammed mails are not stuck. You still don't know wtf you are talking about until you see it yourself. That's why many ETs are sitting around almost all night.

Perfect! The techs can come in when the jams require belt removal and the college kids can fix the easy jams. I would certainly hope USPS wouldn't call in techs for a minor jam.

I think there will be widespread of automated machinery will happen to industrial places. Who builds those cars on the roads? Machinery put them together, they are faster than humans. Many industries have machinery to make things for us.

Like DHB pointed out, automated is cheaper than humans to do the work. It's only a matter of time in future that machinery will take over human's jobs in factories/industrial plants.

So who is to blame for this? There's plenty to blame - booming technology, rising healthcare, employers wanting to save money for business. The list goes on. It won't be long for most workers won't have a choice but to look for another non industrial jobs where they need humans to do the work. They'll need few workers to maintain those machinery and to inspect their productions.

Pretty sad reality of the future.

Perfect! The techs can come in when the jams require belt removal and the college kids can fix the easy jams. I would certainly hope USPS wouldn't call in techs for a minor jam.
College kids? :laugh2: They would have to work all night (10pm to 630am) and go to college in the morning with no sleep. They would be fucking tired to pay attention to class. That's why they don't apply for postal jobs.

I think there will be widespread of automated machinery will happen to industrial places. Who builds those cars on the roads? Machinery put them together, they are faster than humans. Many industries have machinery to make things for us.

Like DHB pointed out, automated is cheaper than humans to do the work. It's only a matter of time in future that machinery will take over human's jobs in factories/industrial plants.

So who is to blame for this? There's plenty to blame - booming technology, rising healthcare, employers wanting to save money for business. The list goes on. It won't be long for most workers won't have a choice but to look for another non industrial jobs where they need humans to do the work. They'll need few workers to maintain those machinery and to inspect their productions.

Well said. Of course that could make the future brighter as people learn to design better machines to build better machines.

College kids? :laugh2: They would have to work all night (10pm to 630am) and go to college in the morning with no sleep. They would be fucking tired to pay attention to class. That's why they don't apply for postal jobs.

They have done it at UPS since at least the early 80's. The college kids work 4 hour shifts 5 days a week and they have (I think) 6 shifts. I don't know what they pay now, but in the 80's they paid $7/hr with no benefits and kids fought for the jobs. Even if they pay them $14/hr now that would be a HUGE savings. Especially with no benefits.

Yes, that's right.

First of all, before there were no automation, it required at least 5-10 clerks (depending on a zone) to sort the mails manually. Now we have two clerks to run a machine to sort the mails automatically for two zones. Do you know how many zones (zip codes) are in the county of LA?

Yes, that's right.

First of all, before there were no automation, it required at least 5-10 clerks (depending on a zone) to sort the mails manually. Now we have two clerks to run a machine to sort the mails automatically for two zones. Do you know how many zones (zip codes) are in the county of LA?

Amazon is using a state of the art sorting system now. I was watching a Doc on it right before Christmas. They said it will revolutionize mail sorting soon.

Amazon is using a state of the art sorting system now. I was watching a Doc on it right before Christmas. They said it will revolutionize mail sorting soon.
Then who will deliver the packages? Amazon? :roll:

then they can pick afternoon courses instead. or they're part-time students.

Well said. Of course that could make the future brighter as people learn to design better machines to build better machines.

yes. industrial engineering. or system engineering.

USPS delivers them as well. I already witnessed them with my own eyes. DUH!

right. just saying that it's not a problem for amazon to choose any other shipping option if USPS is in a pickle.

Then who will deliver the packages? Amazon? :roll:

Umm, you missed the entire point. Amazon has an in house sorting system that is SOTA. It is a system that could be used by USPS soon. It is robotic.

Umm, you missed the entire point. Amazon has an in house sorting system that is SOTA. It is a system that could be used by USPS soon. It is robotic.
USPS has one in FLA to move the trays into BBs but it costs $$$$$$$$ to install them all over America. I don't know if FLA still use that kind of the system or not. Robotic systems are VERY expensive. If USPS buy those equipments, the postage rates would go higher that could turn the customers away. That's not what USPS wants.

Know what? It already cost USPS a million dollar for each DBCS (letter automation) and it has over thousands of them all over America. That's another reason USPS went into deficit.

USPS has one in FLA to move the trays into BBs but it costs $$$$$$$$ to install them all over America. I don't know if FLA still use that kind of the system or not. Robotic systems are VERY expensive. If USPS buy those equipments, the postage rates would go higher that could turn the customers away. That's not what USPS wants.

Know what? It already cost USPS a million dollar for each DBCS (letter automation) and it has over thousands of them all over America. That's another reason USPS went into deficit.

The machines are cheaper than employees. :lol: And no, this system is brand new and amazingly affordable.

the postage rate is already going up and still.. USPS is in deficit. Saturday delivery has been removed and yet... USPS is still in deficit.

meanwhile... UPS and FedEx are raking in revenues

is that what USPS wants?

I read the article below.
Postal Service Loses Record $15.9 Billion

It is very hard to make USPS solvency (free from debt) and ability to raise the revenues while preserving the work rights, security and contract for employees.

I learned from BUS 102 and the union workers, the strong role of union is protect and represent the workers, so it is very difficult for unions to cope with tough choice. The unions need help USPS and create an idea to solve all issues with USPS, so allow them to free from any losses.

If the unions or USPS don't help, so the congress have to involve - very gridlocked and strong partisan.

Back