Positive over deafness

I like it and that is wonderful post to show deaf postive.

Did u write that poem Liebling? It is a good one. :) Also, the link u provided is interesting.

When you lose one sense, you get "boost" in other sense. In my case, its smell sense. I am able to smell something really strong either good or bad.

When you lose one sense, you get "boost" in other sense. In my case, its smell sense. I am able to smell something really strong either good or bad.

LOL for me it's the vibration. I can feel the smallest little vibe from things! New friends are amazed at this. :gossip: lol

LOL! Yoko One makes me wish I was deaf!

I never understood why people say that. "This makes me wish I was Deaf" or when hearing people tell me "wow, you're lucky you can't hear that racket that's going on right now!"

Like a hearing person really wished to be Deaf and go through what we do... sighhhh

I never understood why people say that. "This makes me wish I was Deaf" or when hearing people tell me "wow, you're lucky you can't hear that racket that's going on right now!"

Like a hearing person really wished to be Deaf and go through what we do... sighhhh

I agree; they'd be sorry if they REALLY meant it but I know they don't.

wow, it shown that deaf people show their positive over deafness which it's good because I hate deaf people who pity themselves over their deafness.
Yes, I know there're cons/pros between hearing and deafness but I am learn to accept my deafness long time ago and show positive over my deafness.

Yup that is right. Those people resorted to C.I. (implanted at late age, not at birth) Go figures.

Yup that is right. Those people resorted to C.I. (implanted at late age, not at birth) Go figures.

I guess because I have bilateral CIs you think I'm one of those people, right? You couldn't be further from the truth. I've been a member of the deafblind community for the past 11 years and have used a variety of communication methods to successfully cope with my deafness. I grew up as a hard of hearing person and because of that, I wanted the opportunity to hear again which is why I decided to obtain CIs. If you think I'm denying or ashamed of my deafness because I have CIs, think again.

A CI is a tool. It is not a cure for deafness nor does not turn a deaf or deafblind person into a hearing person. Without my processors on, I am 100% deaf.

If you disagree with adults or children being implanted, fine, but that doesn't give you the right to make judgements against those of us who have chosen CIs for ourselves or our child.

I guess because I have bilateral CIs you think I'm one of those people, right? You couldn't be further from the truth. I've been a member of the deafblind community for the past 11 years and have used a variety of communication methods to successfully cope with my deafness. I grew up as a hard of hearing person and because of that, I wanted the opportunity to hear again which is why I decided to obtain CIs. If you think I'm denying or ashamed of my deafness because I have CIs, think again.

A CI is a tool. It is not a cure for deafness nor does not turn a deaf or deafblind person into a hearing person. Without my processors on, I am 100% deaf.

If you disagree with adults or children being implanted, fine, but that doesn't give you the right to make judgements against those of us who have chosen CIs for ourselves or our child.

It is different compared with deaf people who never hear any sounds in ther life and sudden they want CI because they want to hear something. Look, I have no plm if they just want to hear again because they enjoy music or whatever. I only have GRIPES with people w/ CI undergo speech therapy and try to fit in hearing world. Understand? That is demostrating that they are not happy with their deafness.

Now for children being implanted, i dont blame them because they dont have choices as their parents force them to have CI and try to 'fix' them. Sad , isn't it?

I

Thank you for that post. I am fully Deaf and I would not get cochlear implant. But that is for a few reasons. Before it was more for political reasons, like you are defending now. Then, about two years ago I read newspaper about an entire Deaf family of 4 Deaf (mother, father, son, daughter) ALL got cochlear implants and they love it. So that change my mind about Deaf getting cochlear. I also know some friends Deaf who just got implant and they are happy to hear their children's voices for the first time ever.

That made me more curious about the implant, but I would not get it now because I am terrified of surgery, plus it hasn't been around long enough to know what will happen later to your head while it's implanted inside your head? So that scares me, that's all.

But I have no judgement on Deaf who want to get implant or have them. See, people can change opinions!!!

It is different compared with deaf people who never hear any sounds in ther life and sudden they want CI because they want to hear something. Look, I have no plm if they just want to hear again because they enjoy music or whatever. I only have GRIPES with people w/ CI undergo speech therapy and try to fit in hearing world. Understand? That is demostrating that they are not happy with their deafness.

Now for children being implanted, i dont blame them because they dont have choices as their parents force them to have CI and try to 'fix' them. Sad , isn't it?

I

What is wrong with some people want to learn how to speak? That makes easier in the Hearing world. The WORLD IS HEARING, afterall. Same as all the other countries know more English than other languages, because ENGLISH is considered number one language. All the immigrant and educated people on the other side of the world learn to speak English so they can get along futher in the world.

So what's wrong with Deaf doing the same? And what's wrong with not being happy with your deafness? Not everyone who can't hear is considered Deaf culture.

I am Deaf! I do not speak well, not will I take speech classes to do so! But please give everyone the right to make their own decisions. If Americans move to Africa or Australia, does that mean they are not proud to be American? No, it means they want to live where they want to live while still being them.

I DO NOT, however, approve of putting cochlear implants on babies! You don't know what the effects of the surgery will be later, and all that drill into a poor baby's head. Not fair to the baby.

But parents do what they are told by the hearing doctors, and hearing educators who tend not to know much about the Deaf world, or other ways Deaf can be educated.

So if you disapprove so much, you can become a doctor or audiologist and tell the parents ALL the options they can have with their Deaf baby. ;-)

What is wrong with some people want to learn how to speak? That makes easier in the Hearing world. The WORLD IS HEARING, afterall. Same as all the other countries know more English than other languages, because ENGLISH is considered number one language. All the immigrant and educated people on the other side of the world learn to speak English so they can get along futher in the world.

So what's wrong with Deaf doing the same? And what's wrong with not being happy with your deafness? Not everyone who can't hear is considered Deaf culture.

I am Deaf! I do not speak well, not will I take speech classes to do so! But please give everyone the right to make their own decisions. If Americans move to Africa or Australia, does that mean they are not proud to be American? No, it means they want to live where they want to live while still being them.

I DO NOT, however, approve of putting cochlear implants on babies! You don't know what the effects of the surgery will be later, and all that drill into a poor baby's head. Not fair to the baby.

But parents do what they are told by the hearing doctors, and hearing educators who tend not to know much about the Deaf world, or other ways Deaf can be educated.

So if you disapprove so much, you can become a doctor or audiologist and tell the parents ALL the options they can have with their Deaf baby. ;-)

:gpost: :applause:

Thank you for that post. I am fully Deaf and I would not get cochlear implant. But that is for a few reasons. Before it was more for political reasons, like you are defending now. Then, about two years ago I read newspaper about an entire Deaf family of 4 Deaf (mother, father, son, daughter) ALL got cochlear implants and they love it. So that change my mind about Deaf getting cochlear. I also know some friends Deaf who just got implant and they are happy to hear their children's voices for the first time ever.

That made me more curious about the implant, but I would not get it now because I am terrified of surgery, plus it hasn't been around long enough to know what will happen later to your head while it's implanted inside your head? So that scares me, that's all.

But I have no judgement on Deaf who want to get implant or have them. See, people can change opinions!!!

DeafTJ,

I respect your decision not to get a CI 100%. What I think is hypocritical is when *some* Deaf people think they can tell others (D/deaf adults or parents of deaf children) what kinds of decisions they should make in regards to communication (sign/oral/TC/HA/CI). If I respect a Deaf person's right (and choice) to be Deaf, why can't they respect my right/choice to have CIs?

Do you realize that you can still WRITE in english rather than just speak? anyway your post agrees with most what i just said :)

Back