Population Control

It would be probably time to go back to riding horses and horse drawn carriages. Imagine horses everywhere in the cities going back to the early 1900's and before that. *neigh*

I think it would be too much demand for horses and stuff because there are too many car drivers. Maybe bicycles? Oh wait some parts need oil to keep going.

If we go back to horses right now - the entire world would collapse. What are we gonna do about feeding horse? and horse shit? It's actually much more wasteful than cars.

Like fishes in fish tank - Human Population grows as according to technology and resource. Horse as main transportation is not sustainable for 7 billion people. About fishes in fish tank example - they grow only as according to the size of fish tank.

If it wasn't for the illegal immigrants or immigrants...Many states in the US won't be growing at an alarming rate like California, Arizona, etc.

eeeeehhhh - it didn't increase the number of people. People simply moved around.

It's been proven that when a country descends into famine, the government collapses. They call that "the failing state". Somalia is one such example, Haiti another. Chad yet another.

Somalia didn't collapse because of famine. It collapsed because of warlords fighting with each other for a control. If Somalia stabilized - they will have plenty of food for everybody.

Example - look at Kenya.

Seriously, I was thinking that we would probably not have to worry about population control -- Mother Earth will handle that with panademics and the increasingly extreme weather.

So if we start speaking Chinese like they do on Firefly.... hats off to the Chinese.

Love / miss that show!

Jiro, what started all the warfare in Somalia in the first place? Famine.

You should read up on "failing states" or maybe find the book called "Collapse". It explains how lack of resources such as food lead to warfare that leads to governmental collapses.

Anyone for it? Against it? Why?
China has a law of 1 child per household and I would like to see more of this in the US and abroad.

My viewpoint is this-if you want more than 1 child adopt another.
There are many homeless kids out there that would welcome having a family, a home. I'm 29, do not have kids. I don't plan to add to the problem. Call me an odd duck but I'd rather adopt.

opinions welcome :) good or bad.

That is a solution that would actually reduce the population. To keep it from increasing, you produce no more children than 2.

Forced population control? I don't see it happening here. But I agree with Banjo in that people are much more aware of these issues than they used to be, and many choose to remain childless or to limit the number of children they have. It is not the norm to see large families these days, even in the Catholic population.

If we go back to horses right now - the entire world would collapse. What are we gonna do about feeding horse? and horse shit? It's actually much more wasteful than cars.

Like fishes in fish tank - Human Population grows as according to technology and resource. Horse as main transportation is not sustainable for 7 billion people. About fishes in fish tank example - they grow only as according to the size of fish tank.

Wrong.

They only grow to how dirty the water is. If the water is extremely dirty, they don't grow. The more often you change the water, or the cleaner you keep the water-- the fish grows larger.

Jiro, what started all the warfare in Somalia in the first place? Famine.
IMO - no but we can just agree to disagree :)

You should read up on "failing states" or maybe find the book called "Collapse". It explains how lack of resources such as food lead to warfare that leads to governmental collapses.
That's author's perspective. The book - "Guns, Germs, and Steel" says otherwise. Think about it - how can people fight if they're hungry? :lol:

Wrong.

They only grow to how dirty the water is. If the water is extremely dirty, they don't grow. The more often you change the water, or the cleaner you keep the water-- the fish grows larger.

My friend says otherwise. His family has been growing fishes for decades. The water is always clean. Their fishes are over 10 years old and they're still not at their full size.

Several factors play in role - amount of food, water temperature, number of fishes, size of fish tank, etc.

IMO - no but we can just agree to disagree :)

That's author's perspective. The book - "Guns, Germs, and Steel" says otherwise. Think about it - how can people fight if they're hungry? :lol:

That's cool. My father worked for Anglo then Francophone African Affairs for 10 years. Discussions about Somalia came up alot. I learned quite a bit from my father and African officials who regularly came to our house for dinner.

Whole civilizations has vanished over the years, and no doubt when the sentient Earth has had enough of us, it will just shrug and POOF, we will be gone. The Earth keeps on keeping on.

That's cool. My father worked for Anglo then Francophone African Affairs for 10 years. Discussions about Somalia came up alot. I learned quite a bit from my father and African officials who regularly came to our house for dinner.

Ahh...an insider's perspective. Very valuable, and generally more inclusive than what the general public knows of the situation.

Whole civilizations has vanished over the years, and no doubt when the sentient Earth has had enough of us, it will just shrug and POOF, we will be gone. The Earth keeps on keeping on.

Don't tell me you are predicting a rapture!:laugh2:

Ahh...an insider's perspective. Very valuable, and generally more inclusive than what the general public knows of the situation.

My father first worked in the Foreign Service specializing in the Mid-East and North Africa then after my mother passed away, he gave up his post to move back to Canada to work for the government in Anglo then Francophone African Affairs so I did learn quite a bit growing up.

I'm not disputing about famine being a sole reason of Somalia's demise but I believe it's much more than that otherwise... if that's the case... then why is it that North Korea, China, Burma, etc. haven't been destabilized yet when millions of their people are starving?

It's all about guns. Whoever wields a bigger gun controls everything - food, water, commerce, etc. Right now - the warlords can easily overpower Somali government because its army is so dysfunctional. At that time, Mohamed Farrah Aidid controlled key locations where he hoarded all of humanitarian resources, starving entire country. Somali government couldn't do squat until the Americans came in..... late.

You're right about the guns and power...which is how famine started in the first place leading to warfare and now it's all about whomever has the most power (guns, food) wins. And the warlords have already overpowered the government. Government has not been functional since the early 1990s. The documentary of Black Hawk Down delves into that somewhat. Somalia is nothing more than a state of warlords and pirates and dissidents and clashing clans. It's absolute chaos.

You're right about the guns and power...which is how famine started in the first place leading to warfare and now it's all about whomever has the most power (guns, food) wins. And the warlords have already overpowered the government. Government has not been functional since the early 1990s. The documentary of Black Hawk Down delves into that somewhat. Somalia is nothing more than a state of warlords and pirates and dissidents and clashing clans. It's absolute chaos.

there is another factor that plays in role for a rapid erosion of government control - AIDS. Over 60% of Africans are infected with AIDS. Quite a portion of infected is government officials. sad.... truly sad.... hence - "Guns, Germs, and Steel"

there is another factor that plays in role for a rapid erosion of government control - AIDS. Over 60% of Africans are infected with AIDS. Quite a portion of infected is government officials. sad.... truly sad.... hence - "Guns, Germs, and Steel"

Sounds better to say Cooties. :lol:
HIV is a virus, not a germ, but I am sure you knew that.

You're right again. And the AIDS epidemic is made even worse by the fact it's taboo to talk about sex. And because of this - 40% of sexual abuse of children has risen in South Africa alone. Men think if they have sex with kids, they won't get AIDS. Why? Lack of education. It's a terrible terrible problem.

Back