Popping, bubbly sounds (post CI)

kimpossible

Reaction score
my CI operation was in late May and I had it activated mid-July. a lot of times I seem to "hear" these popping noises in my implanted ear, when i'm not wearing the CI. it sounds like a whole bunch of bubbles popping rapidly, and then a few stray pops after that... it's really weird! is it tinnitus/should I just ignore it?

I suggest you have the doctor check for an ear infection. Never ignore anything that feels or sounds different. I have had three ear infections and they felt different than before. Mine were itchy and just different feeling. So contact your dr for advise.

I have those sensations sometimes. I don't know why. Ask your audiologist about it. She may advice you to see your doctor or tell you if some CIers experience that.

Kim...this is common problem....Im sure the surgeon just had an early tee time and forgot to take the bubble wrap off the implant. DOH!

I've had popping sounds in my ears after surgery and at other times as well (previous to surgery). It just happens and does not seem to cause any problems.

It could be that your ears are reacting to being newly activated and having sound input after a long time of no or minimal input.

If you are concerned then see your audiologist or surgeon for a check up. Otherwise allow time for things to settle down. You may also experience tinnitus after switch on as well but usually things settle down after that.

I had popping sounds when i came round after my CI operation and it lasted few hours, I haven't had any since... I think a trip to your doc would be good idea to be on the safe side.... or even Audiologist.

I had the same popping sounds after surgery and it was driving me crazy!! it will go away after a while , although a check up won't hurt..at the time I was having weekly visits to be sure everything was ok so I didn't mention as it clearly was just some annoying noise..

Still come back when I'm too stressed , so now I know my limits before I hyperventilate..LOL

the most annoying than popping is this incessant whistling when I don't wear the BTE , usually at night if even I get halfawake it starts and doesn't stop till I stuff my finger down my ear and move it around..( and make my tongue go momentarily numb , never before happened..lol )..wouldn't do it if the whistling let me sleep..it doesn't !!!

I've had the same problem with both of my implants. It sounds like it is just tinnitus. Give it a few weeks and if it doesn't subside or go away you might want to talk to the doc.

Back