Police to carry assault rifles on Northeastern campus in Boston ,Ma

I see nothing wrong with it. Look who they're up against....you're going to need more than a Glock.

Laura

What if they simply posted snipers on-campus, laying in wait for any attackers?
My idea is that they could switch off around the clock, having one go home as he is replaced by a fresh guard. Wouldn't that be easier than wasting all that gas picking up speeders, addicts, stoners, and other petty crimes?

I see nothing wrong with it. Look who they're up against....you're going to need more than a Glock.

Laura

I didn't say how I felt about this , I agree with you ,we're living in a difference world today and we can't keep letting our kids be gun down by
mass shooters anymore. I wish this was not necessary but something has to be done to stop the killing of innocents unarmed people .

A quote from Mayor Marty Walsh
""I get worried about local police like that carrying those rifles. You need a lot of training and certainly it begins a slippery slope," said Walsh."

You need less training to make safe accurate shots with a rifle. That's the point. People have such a screwed up idea of what semi auto rifles do. I suspect he thinks they are going to be hip shooting full auto weapons down the hall like a Rambo movie :roll:

I didn't say how I felt about this , I agree with you ,we're living in a difference world today and we can't keep letting our kids be gun down by
mass shooters anymore. I wish this was not necessary but something has to be done to stop the killing of innocents unarmed people .

You need more than guns...you need good intel and a government that's not going to shut you down for stepping on toes. You also need your local politicians to get serious about closing our boarders.

"Student Christine Chao told 7News she felt differently. "There are other ways to apprehend people other than using semi-automatic weapons that are meant to kill people. It feels scary.""

And other people live in happy lala land where there are always happy perfect endings. Maybe they can hug after.

""I get worried about local police like that carrying those rifles. You need a lot of training and certainly it begins a slippery slope," said Walsh."

You need less training to make safe accurate shots with a rifle. That's the point. People have such a screwed up idea of what semi auto rifles do. I suspect he thinks they are going to be hip shooting full auto weapons down the hall like a Rambo movie :roll:

I am pretty sure the police know how to use the assault rifles , it stink that we have take such drastic measures to keep our kids safe but there been a lot bombs threats made at schools lately . If Marty Walsh isn't happy about this he needs to find another way to keep shooters from getting into the schools. Parents been keeping their kids home for 3 days at a time and I don't blame them.

I'm actually much more concerned about an American citizen and kids being unnecessarily gunned down by police officers.

more people in America are killed by police officers than terrorists. the most terrifying part? they will empty at least 2 magazines on you and that's about 15+ bullets each.

just FYI -

The school has more than 60 police officers and 20 of them will be armed with the rifles. Students on campus had mixed reactions to the change.

I'm actually much more concerned about an American citizen and kids being unnecessarily gunned down by police officers.

more people in America are killed by police officers than terrorists. the most terrifying part? they will empty at least 2 magazines on you and that's about 15+ bullets each.

More "kids" are killed by local gang bangers and their "friends" than cops. The media just keeps replying the same story from different angles which contributes to the myth....

Well, here's the thing: If people think that police officers shouldn't be armed with assault rifles, then who should? I believe either we need to accept and support that police officers should have at their disposal the same type of powerful weapon that many mentally ill/angry/vengeful/terrorist people have used to kill innocent people, or we need to have a conversation about taking those types of weapons away from everyone (and that's simply not going to happen). I think the police should have at least as much firepower as some random crazy person seeking to kill me should. Because of the 2nd amendment, there are a lots of guns out in the U.S., and not all of them are owned by law-abiding citizens. Should our police really be expected to go up against criminals who have assault rifles when they're armed with just a handgun? All the background checks in the world won't keep guns away from criminals and they won't weed out everyone who is mentally ill or later becomes psychotic or suicidal and decides to take other people with them.

It's terrible that this is the world we now live in - sort of a modern version of the Wild West - but that's the way it feels like more and more every day.

You need more than guns...you need good intel and a government that's not going to shut you down for stepping on toes. You also need your local politicians to get serious about closing our boarders.

But some of the mass shooters were born right in USA , they're didn't come across our boarders . Of course we needs more than guns to stop mass shooting from happen . But until that happen putting armed police at schools is better than nothing ! We need better mental health care too and parents needs to know what their kids are up on line and if they're having any trouble in schools. Some kids were bullied and felt pushed to a breaking point. There are so many things that needs to addresses.

More "kids" are killed by local gang bangers and their "friends" than cops. The media just keeps replying the same story from different angles which contributes to the myth....

the difference is.... we hold terrorists accountable and we kill them. and we hold local gang bangers accountable too.

police officers? there you go.

What about the matter of more training needed about when to use them rather than how to use them? Could that be the part he was referring to?

What about the matter of more training needed about when to use them rather than how to use them? Could that be the part he was referring to?
Good training should include both aspects, yes. They should also have plans of action and practice scenario drills.

Good training should include both aspects, yes. They should also have plans of action and practice scenario drills.

My granddaughter's grade school had a practice scenario drill for a mass shooting not too long ago . I am glad this was done but not happy that kids needs to do to these kind of drills in school. I agree with you there needs be plans of action and practice scenario drills .
A few years ago a guy was seen with a rifle walking through some farm land and not too far from the schools . The schools were put on lockdown and when the police went to get their rifles, they were not working and their radio scanners they wear didn't either! In a way it was a good thing the guy went hunting otherwise , the police department would never had known they needed new equipment. So I really agree with on this one ! People were joking about it on the internet .

When to use rifles instead of handguns? Handguns have some advantage in maneuverability when dealing with close quarters but generally it's always to your advantage to use a rifle.

If you're referring to guns in general well they already carry them so I hope they have that training.

Back