Police break up marriage of boy, 7, and girl, 4

Calvin

In Hazzard County
Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
KARACHI, Pakistan - Pakistani police raided a child marriage ceremony in the city of Karachi and arrested a cleric who was presiding over the wedding of a 4-year-old girl and a 7-year-old boy, police and residents said Friday.

Pakistani law says people must be 18 to marry but some Islamic laws allow girls to marry after puberty. Despite the laws, young girls are often given away in marriage to settle disputes or pay off debts.

Police said they raided a house Thursday evening following complaints from residents, including a former district government official, Nazakat Hussain, who said the girl was being married off by her father for about 500,000 rupees ($6,138).

"We had noticed some gatherings at this house for a couple of days. Last night I went there and saw that the little girl was actually getting married. So we called the police," Hassan told Reuters.

Some other residents said the marriage was taking place to resolve a long-standing family dispute. Police said they had arrested the boy's father but the girl's father had run away.

Wow, that is quite disturbing article about children given away for marriage... *shaking my head*

Source: Pakistan police break up kids' marriage

Sounds more like playing house, than real wedding. I can't believe that children that young get married....that's nuts!!!

The child probably thought she was playing house. What the hell is wrong with the parents?

Wow, that's disturbing article to read. Poor little girl and boy. They are too far young to get married. *shaking my head*

It is sad... but that's their culture. Too bad they couldn't arrest the girl's father too.

OMG. That is so wrong on so many levels. I am glad the marriage was broken up. Too bad they couldn't arrest the girl's father. What kind of parent would have their small child marry another small child? That is so wrong. The kids probably did not understand what was going on in the marriage ceremony and probably was very confused. Poor kids.

Back