Please read this!

Amby

Reaction score
Hello to you all. Im currently a junior at a mainstream school in my town. I'm the only one that is deaf. I was wondering if there was any kind of technology where you could manage to get closed caption- not on tv although... Heres an example- in Health class, for some reason sometimes my teacher does not obtain a movie with closed caption, so I was wondering... is there any technology that if the movie itself did not have closed caption, can something make the tv have captioned on, even although the movie itself isn't?

Let me know if I did not make sense to you.

Gracias,
Amby :wiggle: :type:

There isn't such technology. There is one, but it's only for those who are certified to use it. It's a voice-recognition kind of technology where a person talks and it types what that person is saying. However, the problem is that a specific person has to go through a few hours of training to get the program to recognize and understand what the person is saying. In other words, this technology can't be applied to "anything". Sorry. :dunno:

Here is a good work-around solution:

Using Internet TTY relay service on a connected laptop computer, call into the classroom phone using the TTY service. Make sure the classroom phone headset is next to the TV.

So it is like the TV is talking into the phone and you can read what is being said on your laptop. Alternatively, you can also use IP Relay on your Sidekick to call into the class and read the captioning on your Sidekick.

Of course, the whole thing won't work if there is no classroom phone to receive a call.

Hey, rush, dude, wish I could help you on your problem. If a movie does not already have captions or subtitles, you need to have someone put them in for you, either by having your school pay for a captionist to input it or your school buys captioned videos.

Also, I strongly recommend you find out if internet relay services allow you to do that sort of thing. Maybe Sprint or MCI or AT&T would be happy to help you setup something, if it is allowed by FCC rules. You can email their customer service representatives to have someone get in touch with you ASAP, and I'm sure they would be happy to assist you.

SprintRelayOnline: sprint.trscustserv@mail.sprint.com
IP-Relay: https://www.ip-relay.com/contact.htm
RelayCall: http://www.relaycall.com/national/national_ts.html

Err.. .. it is not my problem. . it is Amby's problem since she posted this thread, not me.

Dennis said:
Hey, rush, dude, wish I could help you on your problem. If a movie does not already have captions or subtitles, you need to have someone put them in for you, either by having your school pay for a captionist to input it or your school buys captioned videos.

Also, I strongly recommend you find out if internet relay services allow you to do that sort of thing. Maybe Sprint or MCI or AT&T would be happy to help you setup something, if it is allowed by FCC rules. You can email their customer service representatives to have someone get in touch with you ASAP, and I'm sure they would be happy to assist you.

SprintRelayOnline: sprint.trscustserv@mail.sprint.com
IP-Relay: https://www.ip-relay.com/contact.htm
RelayCall: http://www.relaycall.com/national/national_ts.html

I have the same problem

In my college classes, a lot of my videos are not captioned. So a women from the disability services uses windows media player and some awesome software to add the captions to the videos. You teacher is required to meet your needs by getting a transcript or having captions added.

Well, thank you everyone for your input. I would have put this to use if I could, but I'm going to be moving soon, so I may have to use this information when I move to a new district, new state, new school, bleh.

Thank you again although,

Amby

SweetThang said:
In my college classes, a lot of my videos are not captioned. So a women from the disability services uses windows media player and some awesome software to add the captions to the videos. You teacher is required to meet your needs by getting a transcript or having captions added.

Back