Please help me understand

Andre's Girl

Reaction score
I need help. I hear, and I met a very nice deaf gentleman, and we comunicate throughout the day via text messaging, as we both work full time jobs during the day. The problem is, I'm having great difficulty understanding what he texts me. Most times he exchanges u for i when referring to you and I. He also seems to have difficulty understanding terms like..."You stole my heart." and "without a doubt". He also seems to have limited knowledge when it comes to basic grammar skills. We communicate just fine while in person. We spell out difficult words and he can read lips a little. I am also slowly learning sign language. I'm reaching out for help because I really like him, and want to have better communication with him. Any sugguestions?

Andre's Girl

I need help. I hear, and I met a very nice deaf gentleman, and we comunicate throughout the day via text messaging, as we both work full time jobs during the day. The problem is, I'm having great difficulty understanding what he texts me. Most times he exchanges u for i when referring to you and I. He also seems to have difficulty understanding terms like..."You stole my heart." and "without a doubt". He also seems to have limited knowledge when it comes to basic grammar skills. We communicate just fine while in person. We spell out difficult words and he can read lips a little. I am also slowly learning sign language. I'm reaching out for help because I really like him, and want to have better communication with him. Any sugguestions?

Andre's Girl

Study ASL . Learn its basic stucture and order. His texts will make sense.

Most deaf people use grammar skills based on ASL...not english grammar. It may be difficult and confusing at first. Like Bottesini said, learn its basic structure and order. Get more involve in our community and deaf culture and only then will you understand. ;)

Most deaf people use grammar skills based on ASL...not english grammar. It may be difficult and confusing at first. Like Bottesini said, learn its basic structure and order. Get more involve in our community and deaf culture and only then will you understand. ;)

agreed!

you can take a course at your local college im sure ..or i would hope!.. if you really like the guy im sure you'll take time out of your busy life to learn to communicate with him and alsoooo you'll get to learn about his culture and then maybe you'll fall more in love with him... :P
hope that helps
Oh and welcome to AD!:D

Cute. :) It's nice you are trying to learn. I agree college classes would be best, specially because you knowing the structure and grammer will be the key to understanding his texts. I hope things work out for you two. :D

All the above, patience and time. If he likes you too he will get involved in your asl studies. Help you out. Welcome to alldeaf.

has a hearie I understand....
check out a few helpful websites
Lifeprint.com and aslpro.com
:cool2:
Troy

Hi Bottesini,
How you do that icon or graphic gif something like that bottom Oh I love it so cuttee!! Can you teach me how? :) Thankz.

Thank you all for your replies. Apparently there is an entire culture that I need to become familiar with and I will definitely look into taking an ASL class.

Be blessed!

Andre's Girl

:welcome: to AllDeaf forum. I hope you have fun reading and posting all the threads here. See you around here. :wave:

Back