Pipe Bomb Explodes, Kills Fisherman

cjester27

Reaction score
Pipe Bomb Explodes, Kills Fisherman

By: Kelly Gillespie
Chad Bebee is used to things being quiet in the outskirts of Clay County.

“There's wind, and there's grass. That's pretty much all we have around here," said Bebee.

Early Saturday morning that wasn't the case.

At the end the stretch of Towpath Road--the creek was crawling with officials.

Now all that's left is foot prints leading to where "31" year-old Paul Lynch went missing.

"We believe at this time the individual was lighting a pipe bomb. What he was doing with it, we don't know. It exploded," said Sheriff Mike Heaton, Clay County.

Lynch was fishing in the creek alone, and it was many hours later his friends found him there dead.

Sheriff Heaton says the pipe bomb may have been used to stun fish in the creek.

"It's very unusual. Not something we normally see. It's one of those things, explosives are dangerous especially if you don't know what you're doing," said Sheriff Heaton.

It wasn't something Bebee was expecting to wake up hearing.

"There's always the urban legend of a stick of dynamite, and I guess it's pretty much the same thing. In that sense I've heard of it. I didn't really expect it, didn't expect still be in practice," said Bebee.

A practice that's illegal and Sheriff Heaton says this is a sad example why.

Lynch's autopsy was performed this afternoon.

A piece of pipe from the pipe bomb passed through Lynch's heart causing a fatal injury.

No traces of drugs or alcohol were found in his body.

i dont think it was that.. but they used to stun the fishes??

who knows.. may be it.. maybe not..

maybe someone throw pipe bomb on him? or... could be many reason.. i dont know..

but so sad to hear that the guy died.. :(

Dont need pipe bomb for stunning fish, need a special M-100 for that. And the special M-100 is a lot safer than a pipe bomb. Unfortunately pipe bombs like these are more readily accessible than the M-100 in the post 9-11 society.

Richard

A pineapple grenade also does the job too when you want to go fishing and get alots of fish. Yes it is illegal but a grenade is alots safer than a pipe bomb but a grenade is still dangerous and you have no way of knowing if the grenade will blow up in your hands once you pull that pin even if the lever is still held in place. The grenade can still explode. When dealing with fireworks, explosives and the likes of it always assume you will get blown apart by accident. That is what one Vietnam veteran told me and that is very good advice. It would have been nice to have a deeper swimming hole in the river to go swimming in and have a rope to run and catch the rope and swing then jump into the river though but I would not fool around with explosives or anything like that and if you own private property and you want a deeper swimming hole. You can call up the construction company and ask if someone will come to make a bigger swimming hole for you that way you are safe and it is legal. Sad to read about somebody dying all because he wanted to catch more fish.

Last edited:
SmileyGin said:
i dont think it was that.. but they used to stun the fishes??

who knows.. may be it.. maybe not..

maybe someone throw pipe bomb on him? or... could be many reason.. i dont know..

but so sad to hear that the guy died.. :(
Yes, explosive can be used to stun fishes. It has something to do with their internal swim bladder. The shockwave caused by the explosion can rupture the internal swim bladder and injure/kill them. If the fish is larger, it can be stunned and possibly float to the top.

I've seen a video of a soldier using a rocket launcher in a pond. He shot a rocket into the water and an explosion caused fishes to float to the top.

VamPyroX said:
Yes, explosive can be used to stun fishes. It has something to do with their internal swim bladder. The shockwave caused by the explosion can rupture the internal swim bladder and injure/kill them. If the fish is larger, it can be stunned and possibly float to the top.

I've seen a video of a soldier using a rocket launcher in a pond. He shot a rocket into the water and an explosion caused fishes to float to the top.
Here's a good link... :)

http://www.dnr.state.ak.us/habitat/explosives.htm

Back