Photo of the Day

Scary lightning so close to an airport!

Yep, its because most airport is flat and open space, lightning always look for highest point, or easiest path to hit, usually airports have lightning rod to attract them and safely ground them.

Scary lightning so close to an airport!

Tawny frogmouths gaze intensely from their perch on a golden shower tree in Queensland, Australia. Your Shot member Malcolm C. had noticed the tree on arrival in the small seaside village of Woodgate on the province’s southern coast. The birds, local residents of a large deck, had taken refuge in the tree during New Year’s celebrations. “Being wary creatures, they watched my every movement, so I was able to get good eye contact for just about every shot,” he writes. “In this shot they appear to be smiling, but the 'smile' is them panting, trying to keep cool."

“I’ve long had a romance with wildlife and admired the work done by Marlice van Vuuren and her husband at the N/a’an ku sê Foundation in Windhoek, Namibia, especially in the area of cheetah conservation,” writes Terry Allen, who shared this picture with our Your Shot community. “Marlice hand-raised an orphan cheetah as part of her conservation efforts and enjoys educating visitors by providing the opportunity to walk with her and her cheetah. At the end of a sunset walk, [they] were interacting at the top of a small rise. I took several shots to get just the right positioning of both heads, conveying the great trust between the two.”

Trust Photo by Terry Allen

Lava Meets the Ocean, Hawaii

Cool picture, Calvin! We were in Hawaii in 2005 for a bowling tournament and afterwards we took a 7 day cruise of just about all of the islands. One night at about 10pm, the captain took our ship about 2 miles past this volcano that has been flowing constantly for many years since it erupted. The old quip about real estate, "They ain't making any more" comes to mind when we realize this island is actually growing because of this lava flow.

If one was to extend your picture upwards, you would see that the whole hillside is afire in many spots......the captain purposely kept the ship far enough away because the white fumes arising there are toxic......

Tern Chick, Sri Lanka

The progeny, a solitary chick amidst the adult great crested terns, taken from a prone position with a wide-angle lens at a breeding site on a Sri Lankan island in northwestern seas.

Tern Chick, Sri Lanka

The progeny, a solitary chick amidst the adult great crested terns, taken from a prone position with a wide-angle lens at a breeding site on a Sri Lankan island in northwestern seas.

That's really cool !!!

image_zps0b5a0463.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Chicagoblue2 took this photo

Not necessarily a photo of the day, but I thought I'd revive this thread of cool photos.

The one below is the far back end of our land, the geese kept up with us as we walked with the dogs. I like the photo I took because of the reflection on the water.

ImageUploadedByAllDeaf1429583224.400736.jpg

Not necessarily a photo of the day, but I thought I'd revive this thread of cool photos.

The one below is the far back end of our land, the geese kept up with us as we walked with the dogs. I like the photo I took because of the reflection on the water.

View attachment 22192

Beautiful picture.

Wanting to get a closer look at Fuego, a highly active volcano in Guatemala, Your Shot member Andrew Shepard hiked the adjacent Acatenango Volcano and camped near the summit. “Under the moonlight I set my tripod up just outside the tent, and at around 1:30 a.m. we awoke to the rumbling of the ground and the sound of a breath-stealing explosion,” Shepard writes. “I scrambled to the camera just in time [to] capture a moonlit and lava-covered Fuego as it put on this beautiful display of activity and power."

Wanting to get a closer look at Fuego, a highly active volcano in Guatemala, Your Shot member Andrew Shepard hiked the adjacent Acatenango Volcano and camped near the summit. “Under the moonlight I set my tripod up just outside the tent, and at around 1:30 a.m. we awoke to the rumbling of the ground and the sound of a breath-stealing explosion,” Shepard writes. “I scrambled to the camera just in time [to] capture a moonlit and lava-covered Fuego as it put on this beautiful display of activity and power."

Boy, it was definitely worth the exertion to get such a photo as this one!

all really amazing and beautiful photos - whatdidyousay! :aw: thanks so much for posting that photo that Mark took! I hadn't seen that one before-

Tulip Festival Holland

Back