Phonak Naida V

sirena rossa

Reaction score
Anyone here try / wear Phonak's Naida Vs? (which is supposedly the best hearing aid on the market for severe-profound losses).
If so, what do u think of them? pros & cons?

my reason for wondering is cuz i'm currently wearing Oticon Digifocus Super Power IIs, and they no longer make them anymore (they wont even repair them anymore) and i know that some day they will break and so i gotta start looking into other options. :hmm:

There is a whole thread about Naida by JennyB . It is very extensive and I think you could probably find all you want to know by looking up that thread. :)

I also use Naidas V UP and have a profound loss. Feel free to PM me with questions.

definitely get in touch with JennyB. She's the Naida expert on here as far as I know. I tried one out for about 3 months and I just couldn't get used to it (Naidas are transdispotional(sp?) hearing aids). They have a very different sound to them and I just couldn't get used to it, but some people really like the Naidas.

Hey there,

I have been using NaidaV UP's for about 9 months now. I do like them but I have had some problems. Do you have any more specific questions? I would be happy to answer :)

Hey there,

I have been using NaidaV UP's for about 9 months now. I do like them but I have had some problems. Do you have any more specific questions? I would be happy to answer :)

Hi Jenny, so i am told ur quite the Naida V expert :) any info u can give me is helpful. u said u had problems?? like what? and what HAs were u using before the Naidas?
I did try the Vs but it was in May, and only for like a week or two - which really wasn't enough time for me to say with absolute certainty that i liked them (or not liked them). i had mixed feelings, like i felt like i heard much better in some situations and then the total opposite in other situations.
I am now looking into a Cochlear implant, however that is a huge decision and not one to be made lightly. and i'm certainly not getting it anytime soon. but i know i will soon to get to the point where i'll at least need new HAs since my Oticons aren't exactly new anymore.

in other words, how happy are u with the Naidas?

Hi Jenny, so i am told ur quite the Naida V expert :) any info u can give me is helpful. u said u had problems?? like what? and what HAs were u using before the Naidas?
I did try the Vs but it was in May, and only for like a week or two - which really wasn't enough time for me to say with absolute certainty that i liked them (or not liked them). i had mixed feelings, like i felt like i heard much better in some situations and then the total opposite in other situations.
I am now looking into a Cochlear implant, however that is a huge decision and not one to be made lightly. and i'm certainly not getting it anytime soon. but i know i will soon to get to the point where i'll at least need new HAs since my Oticons aren't exactly new anymore.

in other words, how happy are u with the Naidas?

I don't have much time so pardon my briefness!!

Problems:
-The aids turning on and off for no reason
-Cycling through programs on their own for no reason
-Only able to use PowerOne or Siemens brand batteries
-Many problems with the battery contacts not conducting properly

I do really like them though. Now that the problems are being solved I am quite pleased. I can hear more with them than any other aids I have tried. Feedback control is amazing which means more gain than other hearing aids. Gives me good access to environmental sounds.

Before Naidas I was using Phonak Savia Arts.

Any other questions???

I have been using Naidas for 5 months, and have had a similar issue with random turning off. Phonak said it was a firmware problem that had been corrected already by the time I received mine, but...apparently not. Just got it back today from Phonak. I have not had battery issues, thankfully, and use the Rayovacs my audiologist gave me. I have very little hearing now, 110-120 dB up to 1K Hz, nothing above. I use the Naidas for sound awareness, but have no speech recognition. When I first used Naidas I had some speech recognition, and I found an initial "inhaled helium" quality to people's voices. I quickly acclimated to that sound (a few weeks, I think) and found them to be the best aids I had tried to date. Before the Naidas, I had Resound Azure power BTEs.

I agree with Jenny about the feedback control and potential for higher gain. I used to "squeal" all the time, now it's a rarity.

Naida V's for several months. I am continuing to have problems with "splatting", attack sounds at the beginning of words that usually have short a, o, and long i sounds.

Also my voice is nasally, the bass boost is on 6, but I have issues with sounds, voices seeming too high. When the volume is set high enough for me to hear well I get a lot of whistling and hear background sounds that sound like whistling, but may just be sounds that are pitched too high. The central air sound and air sound in the car don't cut back, though others do.

I've had several adjustments, so I have a good idea of how well I can hear, but it is inconsistent along with the above problems. I can go into the same situation never knowing how it's going to sound. I had serious distortion, so the aids were sent back and that seems to be gone. Thanks for any feedback you can give me.

I love my Naidas V UP. They made everything louder(and perhaps a little more clear) than my old Widex I wore for 10 years(new HAs aren't cheap) When I first wore them I was surprised how well I could hear bass and low frequency sounds. Men's voices had a distinct deep rumble and when a man coughed I could hear it across the room like thunder! I hear so many low frequency environmental sounds I never heard before.

Ive had a problem with batteries not making good contact maybe 2 or 3 times. I don't remember them turning off by themselves unless its a bad battery contact, in which I just remove and reinsert the battery.

My audiologist says those are the best hearing aids for people with my kind of audiogram(see blog) he also says everyone should give those a try before even thinking about CIs.

Thank you, DeafDude. We've been able to program out the excessively loud stuff, so that I'm getting more normal environmental sounds now. The loud paper bag crumbling, thundering keyboard, rumbling low voices, and other sounds are as they should be for me now. But I'm wondering how to maximize the voices and still avoid the annoyances. Sounds like you have learned to tolerate them. How many adjustments was your audiologist willing to make?

Thank you, DeafDude. We've been able to program out the excessively loud stuff, so that I'm getting more normal environmental sounds now. The loud paper bag crumbling, thundering keyboard, rumbling low voices, and other sounds are as they should be for me now. But I'm wondering how to maximize the voices and still avoid the annoyances. Sounds like you have learned to tolerate them. How many adjustments was your audiologist willing to make?

He tried once and it's already better than my old HAs. He told me not to worry about the programming, just wear them and train your ears. He did say he programmed them 90% of max and that those HAs were so powerful they could "blow out your eardrums" if programmed to the max.

What is your audiogram? Maybe my audiologist could offer advice or program them for you better, hes an expert.

If Phonak Naida V is the best hearing aid for severe-profound hearing losses then why dont i have it? I have a Spirit 3 sp hearing aid by oticon

Don't know that it's the best. I had to go with what my audiolgoist suggested. I'm not disappointed, but the adjustments are a pain to get right and aggravating my audi.

My loss is severe to profound, high frequencies/sensory neural and I've worn hearing aids for 40 years. I honestly don't know how to post or interpret my test. There is a "Type A tymps" note.

It's a ski slope, I guess, starting on the chart at 60/250 and going down to 90 and 110 at 2X on the chart, meeting again at 110/4k and up again to 90 at 8k. Not much help. If anyone can tell me how to copy from a scanned item in my photo shop to here, I might be able to figure it out. Thanks so much.

The test says
1 Air Conduction, AI=0%, PTA=91
2 Air Conduction, AI=0%, PTA=81
3 Bone conduction, PTA=75
4 Bone conduction, PTA=75

SRT
Left. 90dB
Right 75dB
Both
DS
Left 20% at 95dB
Right 32% at 95dB

Sounds like a "cookie bite" audiogram. To post uploaded images here, id try imageshack or imagechicken.

As for the adjustments, what if your audie just maxes all the gains so you hear everything the best and loudest? Mine maxed mine except in the low frequencies.

Everyone on here seems to know all about their audiograms and stuff!! I never see minee. I know I could ask for a copy but they use to pencil crosses on my audiogram and i never used to understand them. I'v got a hearing test in May, hopefully I'll get my audiogram then. But they hardly test me unaided and sometimes only give me one test with my aid that's all.

But back in 2005 my right ear alone was down to 120 in some frequencies

If you can ask for a copy, scan it and upload it to an image server and link it here. I will try to interpret it. My audiogram can be found in my blog(Blog Entries: 1) and I have an old copy when I was 16. I am still trying to find any even older copies to see how much better my hearing was.

Hello everyone my name is Dave I just joined this site today. I got new naida's a week ago my brain is trying to adjust to them so far i think they are goood but time will tell,
My old HA were anolog so going from full power all the time to digital where the aid changes with sound eviroments change if strange for me.

i got the icom thingie this is the neatest thing being able to talk on my cell phone and actually understand most of what is said. I also got the jabra but havnt been able to make it work with my TV yet

my audi says these are the best available aids for my profound loss. my loss is genetic runs in my family my grandfather, father, 2 brothers , sister and several nieces and nephews have profound hearing loss. lucky it skiped my son who is 24 yrs old and in the air force, its possible when he has children they could be hearing impaired.

any ways i wanted to post on here and get to know some of you people

Thanks Dave

Everyone on here seems to know all about their audiograms and stuff!! I never see minee. I know I could ask for a copy but they use to pencil crosses on my audiogram and i never used to understand them. I'v got a hearing test in May, hopefully I'll get my audiogram then. But they hardly test me unaided and sometimes only give me one test with my aid that's all.

But back in 2005 my right ear alone was down to 120 in some frequencies

I don't think the NHS is very keen to show us our audiograms, I've only seen mine because I needed a copy of it to apply for Disabled Students Allowance.

Back