Perspective

Misty_Lily

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Bebonang:
"Every hearing person dreams of having us be normal hearing like hearing people."

Not Every hearing person.

I don't want a deaf person to be hearing or try to change anything about them. I want there to be better communication rather than frustration and headache. Some hearing people actually do make the effort and want to communicate with deaf individuals and only help when the deaf individual asks. With how the history of society is, or has been, most cases the deaf person(s) are skeptical of most hearing peoples.

Sucks for those hearing that are actually trying (or struggling) to go that extra mile to bridge that communication.

I know it shouldn't be in this thread, but I just had to comment. My apologies.

A side note, Chiq isn't in America. I personally don't know how it is where she lives. But.. I have been learning that in different countries, education is very limited. There are many stories of deaf individuals who don't learn any type of language until a later age, and this effects their education. I know that situation happens far and few between because of the rights and laws now, nonetheless, it still happens in poorer countries. So maybe that happened with Chiq's boyfriend?

Once again, just spouting from what I have learned.

As long as the Deaf or HOH want to sign the sign language to make the communication better. Oral-Only can only frustrate and having the headache if we can not understand lipreading or speechreading hearing people whether it is at a Mainstream Schools or Workplaces or Doctor's Office or Court.

Reading and writing are very important in the deaf and hard of hearing world. We starve for understanding communication like this whether sign or write including to read what the hearing person wrote. Not to be able to read and write is very terrible for the deaf and hard of hearing with no way to communicate and if they have limited sign language, then they are lost. I am sorry that it is impossible for the deaf or hard of hearing not be able to do those things. It just freak me out.

If the deaf or hard of hearing person want to do oral-only, then they can handle it if they have no problem with what the hearing person say. But lipreading is not one hundred precent accurate and we miss what the hearing person say. There is the difference. Sign language or write down papers are two ways to communicate. Okay? :thumb:

This I understand.
Many times the communication is limited with a hearing person. So it is of course important for the deaf or HoH individual to know how to read/write. Sometimes isn't always properly educated though, and still there are troubles.

We do have that problems in Mexico, Central America and South America, too. That is why we can not change the deaf and hard of hearing to be hearing. That is something we all have to live with our hearing losses for the rest of our lives. Hearing people think that hearing aids and CIs are miracles to cure hearing loss. But not for listening, only for environment sounds. Mild or moderate hearing loss (hard of hearing) seem to understand what the hearing person said on the phone or maybe try to understand what the person say without reading the lips. That is hard and they do struggle trying to understand by listening. They will get misunderstand a lot if they did not get the right conversation being said.

I think that leads mainly to doctors way of thinking. And if a plain jane person is informed of HA or CIs in a manner of "correcting" the hearing loss, then they are misinformed and sadly very naive.

Back