Pepsi's New Super Bowl Deaf Ad

Just sent AGBell an email and I kept my emotions out of it.

Yeah, it was hard to do, wasn't it? I had to struggle, too.

I hate them and what they represent. It is not just the Pepsic commercial. It is things going on with at my work that I cant reveal.

AGB and Nesmuth can never be happy unless they're complaining about something. Neither of them are plugged into Deaf culture enough to care that part of its folk history, this old joke, is being shown to millions. And AGB just isn't happy with, as has been mentioned, alllll the portrayals of deaf people speaking and reading lips; they have to attack the ONE time they're shown signing. Gee, insecure much?

About the commercial perpetuating the myth that Deaf people are jerks...well, okay, from a hearing standpoint they don't come across too well, true. But that's part of the original joke, the way the Deaf people behave in their Deaf world, oblivious to what annoys or inconveniences hearing people -- the exact opposite of the way the world really is.

In the commercial you can see the driver's friend hunching down and wincing at the horn honking, like he's embarrassed, and of course the neighbor signs "Sorry" at the end, so probably this was an issue when making the ad. But to a certain extent there's no real way around it and hopefully the people watching will be able to put themselves in the Deaf people's shoes instead of thinking "what jerks."

As for the Braille, I think EnAble involves lots of different disabilities as was mentioned, but I didn't even make the connection that Braille following this ad would bolster that misconception about deaf people and Braille. That's a good thought. I remember when I was an ASL 1 student and a seasoned interpreter friend told me how many times people asked her "Do you know Braille?" I thought she was kidding. Then when I started interpreting... :lol:

Able involves lots of different disabilities as was mentioned, but I didn't even make the connection that Braille following this ad would bolster that misconception about deaf people and Braille. That's a good thought. I remember when I was an ASL 1 student and a seasoned interpreter friend told me how many times people asked her "Do you know Braille?" I thought she was kidding. Then when I started interpreting... :lol:

I remember that when I used to play MUME (it's an online text based game basted on LOTHR. I'm not a fan of LOTHR BTW), some hearing person who wasn't too bright learned that I'm deaf rl and she keep asking if I could read brallie. She seemed to think I was deaf blind like Helen Keller and that I used brallie to play the game. Several people and I had to tell her several times over that I'm just deaf and that I'm not blind.

This is the same person who asked us on the narrates: What country is Great
Britian? My jaw dropped when I saw that.

:giggle: @ DeakSkeptic.

I just sent off an email to AGBAD for the first time. Pretty much told them to stop perpetuating myths against the deaf and to apologise to the deaf community.

I'm betting you all that they'll never reply back to us all, eh.

I just sent off an email to AGBAD for the first time. Pretty much told them to stop perpetuating myths against the deaf and to apologise to the deaf community.

I havent gotten one and I was very straightforwarded about it. Want to post our letters to AGBell here? Good idea?

I just realized that when you abbrieviate A. G. Bell Assoc. for the Deaf all the way through, it spells, A.G. Bad! That is just too freakin' funny!:laugh2:

Sure. Jump in!

Ok here is my letter...like Deafskeptic who fumbled with the spelling error, I forgot to put my paragragh indexing...oh well.

This was what I sent to AGBell...

To whom it may concern,

I read about your protest against the Super Bowl ad showing two deaf men chatting away in ASL. I want to know why you are protesting against it and what is so bad about ASL. Many of us in the Deaf community value ASL and are proud that our heritage is being shown to the public for more public awareness. Your protest just reinforces the misconceptions of oral as being better than signing.

I want you to know one thing about me. I was raised completely oral despite my severe profound hearing loss in both ears. I was forbidded to use sign language and to be exposed to the Deaf community for fear that it would impede my oral development. Well, as a result, I suffered greatly in an education environment that was extremely restrictive for me so I suffered serious self-esteem issues because I could not understand everything that was being said around me. I felt that it was my fault for not trying hard enough to be "hearing".

Then, I learned ASL in my 20s...it was like a door to multiple opportunities finally opened up to me. One of them and perhaps the most important was the ability to connect fully with others. Now, ASL is a vital part of my life and I value it deeply. I wouldnt be where I am without ASL..a successful career woman who is very happy and content with herself as a deaf person.

This Super Bowl ad represents many of us who share that connection and for you to protest against it makes many of us very angry and resentful.

Please just respect our language and culture. Just leave it alone. You had your limelight for years...now it is our turn. Just leave it alone for once and all.

Thank you,

Ok here is my letter...like Deafskeptic who fumbled with the spelling error, I forgot to put my paragragh indexing...oh well.

This was what I sent to AGBell...

To whom it may concern,

I read about your protest against the Super Bowl ad showing two deaf men chatting away in ASL. I want to know why you are protesting against it and what is so bad about ASL. Many of us in the Deaf community value ASL and are proud that our heritage is being shown to the public for more public awareness. Your protest just reinforces the misconceptions of oral as being better than signing.

I want you to know one thing about me. I was raised completely oral despite my severe profound hearing loss in both ears. I was forbidded to use sign language and to be exposed to the Deaf community for fear that it would impede my oral development. Well, as a result, I suffered greatly in an education environment that was extremely restrictive for me so I suffered serious self-esteem issues because I could not understand everything that was being said around me. I felt that it was my fault for not trying hard enough to be "hearing".

Then, I learned ASL in my 20s...it was like a door to multiple opportunities finally opened up to me. One of them and perhaps the most important was the ability to connect fully with others. Now, ASL is a vital part of my life and I value it deeply. I wouldnt be where I am without ASL..a successful career woman who is very happy and content with herself as a deaf person.

This Super Bowl ad represents many of us who share that connection and for you to protest against it makes many of us very angry and resentful.

Please just respect our language and culture. Just leave it alone. You had your limelight for years...now it is our turn. Just leave it alone for once and all.

Thank you,

:thumb::thumb:

Okies, my turn. *slap head* Wish I put in AGBAD instead of AGBell.....

To AGBell,
We, as the deaf community, are very displeased with your lambasting against Pepsi Co over their creative advertisement.

It might behoove you but I suggest you cast your arrogance aside and humbly apologise to the deaf community.

And it's about time you stop perpetuating damaging myths against sign language and whatnot.

From,
An Unimpressed Australian

Back