Peer Relationships of Children With Cochlear Implants

Status
Not open for further replies.
I found this quote fromt he article quite interesting and wonder if there are any current studies that address the questions below.
As children get older, social relationships become more important (Steinberg, 1999). Deaf children and adolescents whose ability to interact with hearing peers is compromised may become increasingly frustrated. Previous research with prelingually deaf adults found that many of those who grew up orally were frustrated with oral communication (Bat-Chava, 2000; Foster, 1988). In adolescence or early adulthood, some of them learned sign language and became part of the signing deaf community (Bat-Chava, 2000). Many of these people perceived their parents’ insistence on oral communication as harmful to their social relationships and identity development.
It is impossible to know what would have happened to people who were educated in the oral tradition if cochlear implants had been available to them.Would they have found oral communication less frustrating and would not have sought out other deaf people and sign language? Or would they have stopped using their implants, just as the children in Rose et al.’s and Holden- Pitt’s studies did? Until children who are implanted early become old enough to make their own judgment about the implant and tell us about it, we will not know how beneficial the implants are to them.

The old study that u first posted already proved what happens with deaf children when in all hearing environment. Why are further studies needed? That was my point.

I believe you are missing the point of my post. It's in the old study where they make the statements I bolded and my comment was concerning a newer study that addresses the points the old study made. See the part above bolded and in red. Hopefully that is clear.

Last edited by a moderator:
See RD...why study to see how deaf kids with CI interact with hearing kids? Why cant they learn from the past when deaf kids are put in in an all hearing environment day in and day out? Stop experimenting with these kids and just accept that they are deaf and expose all of them to both worlds!

Exactly! We aren't lab rats that one can experiment with. ASL solved the communication problem long time ago. It seems to me that the hearing people don't want that and continue looking for ways to reinvent the wheel to solve this communication problem.

I think until deaf education is fully addressed in home districts, more and more deaf children will be educated in oral deaf environments. Our school of the deaf is just too far away from our home district, I can see why parents do not want to send their children to a residental school. Also through deafread I have read about mistreatments in deaf schools. As a parent I can't see myself sending my children away.

How do you convince a parent to send their child to a deaf school when the home district has some accommodations?

An only deaf child at a hearing school make a good lightening rod for the bullies. Anything that make a deaf child feel so isolated is abuse. Anything that causes the child to be language-delayed or way behind in school is abuse. I have heard of some hearing girls who got raped when they were walking to the school. I suppose that it could happen to deaf girls, too. That is abuse, too.

Read "Alone in the Mainstream" by Gina A. Oliva about her experiences.

Also read Welcome to Deaf Ex-Mainstreamers Group Ltd and it said "The Deaf community and supporters of deaf education have been pressing for changes to the education system and its practices for well over one hundred years; an important issue that the DEX could no longer ignore. Especially as research indicates that 61% of deaf children in mainstream education have mental health problems." This link is based in UK.

An only deaf child at a hearing school make a good lightening rod for the bullies. Anything that make a deaf child feel so isolated is abuse. Anything that causes the child to be language-delayed or way behind in school is abuse. I have heard of some hearing girls who got raped when they were walking to the school. I suppose that it could happen to deaf girls, too. That is abuse, too.

Also read Welcome to Deaf Ex-Mainstreamers Group Ltd and it said "The Deaf community and supporters of deaf education have been pressing for changes to the education system and its practices for well over one hundred years; an important issue that the DEX could no longer ignore. Especially as research indicates that 61% of deaf children in mainstream education have mental health problems." This link is based in UK.

And, I might add, that 61% is only the ones who have been identified. Those that have yet to be identified would make the percentage even higher. **sigh**

Gina Oliva interviewed my brother and I for some entries in that book but used different names. I keep forgetting to get it.

Exactly! We aren't lab rats that one can experiment with. ASL solved the communication problem long time ago. It seems to me that the hearing people don't want that and continue looking for ways to reinvent the wheel to solve this communication problem.

That was my point but most people here dont seem to understand why I feel that way. OH well.

You can't be seriouis.

Gina Oliva interviewed my brother and I for some entries in that book but used different names. I keep forgetting to get it.

Cool! I have that book, and have often used it as research cited in various papers and presentations. I didn't know that all along, I was using you as the foundaton!:giggle:

What exactly is SEE, PSE, CS, TC, Rochester Method, etc. than a reinvention of the wheel that already existed?
My comment was to the point of not conducting studies that Shel made and Buffalo agreed with. I should have truncated his quote.

My comment was to the point of not conducting studies that Shel made and Buffalo agreed with. I should have truncated his quote.

My misunderstanding. It appeared you were questioning the reinvention of the wheel analogy.

Cool! I have that book, and have often used it as research cited in various papers and presentations. I didn't know that all along, I was using you as the foundaton!:giggle:

I need to buy it...seriously. :) She interviewed my brother and I back in 2001 or 2002. Nice lady..very very v ery educated and intelligent.

Just ordered it from amazon.com..cant wait to read it!

wow this is extraordinary interesting. I'm a late-comer and gotta read this thread from page 1.

I need to buy it...seriously. :) She interviewed my brother and I back in 2001 or 2002. Nice lady..very very v ery educated and intelligent.

Just ordered it from amazon.com..cant wait to read it!

I think you will really enjoy it. Of allthe books I've read on mainstreaming/deaf ed/deaf culture, Alone in the Mainstream was one of my favorites. It really will tug at your heartstrings, too.

Yes, Gina is an awesome person! We just keep going over and over the same ground. The mainstream is not some glorious utopia. I know a lot of parents thought that mainstreaming would result in better education for ALL kids with disabilites....But, just as Brown vs. Board of Education didn't drasticly reform segregation and racism, neither did any amount of "reform" trying to get kids with disabilites into the mainstream. Some kids may have done decently, but overall the educational acheivement levels aren't great at ALL!

Yes, Gina is an awesome person! We just keep going over and over the same ground. The mainstream is not some glorious utopia. I know a lot of parents thought that mainstreaming would result in better education for ALL kids with disabilites....But, just as Brown vs. Board of Education didn't drasticly reform segregation and racism, neither did any amount of "reform" trying to get kids with disabilites into the mainstream. Some kids may have done decently, but overall the educational acheivement levels aren't great at ALL!

and for that, I respect and value her opinion far more than any audiologists or doctors with the medical views of deafness. Like one other ADer said, we are not f***king lab rats!

I can see that some people have a hatred of or look down on deaf schools. I guess that is gonna happen cuz of the stigma attached to it.

If u, haters, can come to the deaf school and observe with your own eyes and judge for yourselves instead of relying on a 3rd party.

Pinky...I am sorry that u had a bad experience and that is why things are much much stricter nowadays to ensure that no more children are being hurt. Not only at deaf schools but at public schools too hence all the background checks and so on, on...

:gpost: Thank you for words of words.. :aw:

I just keep myself down since those idiots who are complaint about my ex school, OSD, so I let them to have it. They know nothing about my school.. I hate it when anti-deaf people look down on deaf schools as if they are just a mere pest and made a false information. And then to shrug it off... :mad::roll:

:gpost: Thank you for words of words.. :aw:

I just keep myself down since those idiots who are complaint about my ex school, OSD, so I let them to have it. They know nothing about my school.. I hate it when anti-deaf people look down on deaf schools as if they are just a mere pest and made a false information. And then to shrug it off... :mad::roll:

Right...I know and I understand that not all deaf schools are perfect but not all deaf schools are full of sex abusers who want to provide lousy education for the kids. That's how I felt when people bring up sex abuse and low education as a reason for not sending deaf kids to Deaf schools. It is like they are indirectly acussing me of being just as bad as those people who hurted the children. In my years of working at Deaf schools, the majority of staff just want the children to have the best of both worlds both socially and educationally. Nobody is chasing after these kids abusing them...good grief!

Yes, I wish I can meet those people who abused the students at the Deaf schools and give them a taste of their own medicine but what makes me sick is lumping all of us who work together into that category. Pisses me off.

Right...I know and I understand that not all deaf schools are perfect but not all deaf schools are full of sex abusers who want to provide lousy education for the kids. That's how I felt when people bring up sex abuse and low education as a reason for not sending deaf kids to Deaf schools. It is like they are indirectly acussing me of being just as bad as those people who hurted the children. In my years of working at Deaf schools, the majority of staff just want the children to have the best of both worlds both socially and educationally. Nobody is chasing after these kids abusing them...good grief!

Yes, I wish I can meet those people who abused the students at the Deaf schools and give them a taste of their own medicine but what makes me sick is lumping all of us who work together into that category. Pisses me off.

I remembered one of teachers at my ex school, s/he told me they did their jobs to do their best for kids' safety and education. S/he told me that the teacher did try do his/her best to teach kids balancely since students had a various skill and level. I greatly appierated him/her for what he/she tried to do his/her work. Sadly, many anti-deafies are just blind to see how amazing teachers and staffs are.

It always boiled me whenever 'anti-deaf-school' people just give a bad apple toward those deaf schools. I do not want to see all deaf schools shut down because of silly reasons. I like to see them stay and survive all years and years... If all deaf schools are shut down, I refuse to send my kids to public schools, so I just will do homeschool for my future kids...

What an annoying... :|

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back