Parents want hearing school to get state funding

It's against state laws to work in a salon as a cosmetologist without a license. It's considered a health hazard because clients could be harmed by bacterial infections, cuts, chemical burns, hot iron burns, eye irritations, etc. A lot of cosmetology training is about safety and sanitation, not just hairdressing skills.

Wow! I just gained a new respect for licensed hairdressers. I didn't realize all these issues were involved. Now, I am better educated.
Thank u, Reba.

FJ was just expressing what she knows. She is not out there teaching and writing IEP without a license.

I've always asked people what they know about the subject rather they are licensed or not.

She said she was.

FJ was just expressing what she knows. She is not out there teaching and writing IEP without a license.

I've always asked people what they know about the subject rather they are licensed or not.

yes. it's totally fine to listen to one's (unlicensed) perspective & experience on the subject.... and also to listen to the professional's perspective & experience on same subject. Of course - both versions will be different from each other but....

on formal setting - which one holds more weight?

Right. Well, I was just curious about at what point does it become illegal. Now, I have a much better understanding. I'm satisfied. ;)

So, back the the topic. It's becoming evident that upholding the law has financial limits. (And this can be said for many many many laws/rules)

Agreed.

Right. Well, I was just curious about at what point does it become illegal. Now, I have a much better understanding. I'm satisfied. ;)

So, back the the topic. It's becoming evident that upholding the law has financial limits. (And this can be said for many many many laws/rules)

unfortunately true.

I just did some backtracking to see how did this thread leads to this professionalism stuff. Now I get it.

Post #421 where FJ said that she's a teacher but in post #423 - FJ said she has not completed the teacher licensing requirement. Now that is a no no because those 2 posts contradict with each other. I think we all know that when one says he/she's a teacher... we all assume that he/she is licensed. Same thing with doctor and doctor-in-training.

just saying.

Thank you Jiro.

It shows a lack of respect to those licensed teacher when people think that someone who hasn't completed all the training, classes, and prodecures can pass themselves as teachers. Maybe as a teacher in training or long term sub teacher would be more appropriate.

Thank you Jiro.

It shows a lack of respect to those license teacher when people think that someone who hasn't completed all the training, classes, and prodecures can pass themselves as teachers. Maybe as a teacher in training or long term sub teacher would be more appropriate.

I agree. Maybe it's just a slip of tongue on FJ's part. I dunno. Not gonna hold it against her.

I agree. Maybe it's just a slip of tongue on FJ's part. I dunno. Not gonna hold it against her.

Another person thought it wasnt a big deal if a teacher is licensed or not. Under NCLB, it is a BIG deal.

My question is if fJ is a sub teacher..how if she doesnt have a BA degree? It was to my understanding that she is in the process of obtaining her BA degree unless I am wrong?

I mean a big deal on the message board, not real life.

She spent 3 years in Preschool then moved to Kindergarten before I removed her from the public school system. All she learned was to change the diapers on twins who were wheelchair bound. She also helped one of them do wooden puzzles. That was it. She was 6 and did not know her alphabet or how to count. I couldn't get through to her. I decided to work full time with her and home school her
Was she in a Severe handicapped classroom? I do agree.....it can be very hard to get services for someone who while they have a really severe LD, isn't as significently affected as low IQ, especially in the public school system. Most public school kids who are LD have a learning disorder.....
and most kids who are in specialized programs tend to be more affected. (b/c kids who are less affected tend to be mainstreamed)
Speaking of which, have you looked into organizations like UCP or other organizations for kids with cerebal palsy? You may find supplemental/helpful stuff there....OH, and if I recall you guys are religious....do you know about NAATHAN? It's National Challenged Homeschoolers Association.
To get back on topic.....I think that the private school law has a real danger in being abused. It was meant to be used for kids who REALLY can't be served in the mainstream or through local programs....and there are SOME good local programs (MR, autism, dhh including ORAL)

Was she in a Severe handicapped classroom?

The ECSE class this school had a 2 different classes. The ones with 1 or 2 disabilities or disorders (which my daughter was in) and the afternoon class was for multiple problems. They had the low vision autistic students and others like that. Daughter's class had 3 with down's syndrome, and 1 with vision and coordination problems, and 3 in wheelchairs. One of whom had spinal meningitis and I can't remember what the twins had.

Speaking of which, have you looked into organizations like UCP or other organizations for kids with cerebal palsy? You may find supplemental/helpful stuff there....OH, and if I recall you guys are religious....do you know about NAATHAN? It's National Challenged Homeschoolers Association.

Not sure why I'd need to check with an organization about cerebral palsy since daughter doesn't have that.

I had not checked out NAATHAN, but I did look it up and I will.

And claims to be a cosmetologist, or a hairdresser, or whatever.

I know what you are talking about.

I'm a professional graphic designer. Sometimes I do wish there was a law requiring people in my profession to have a license. There are far too many people who don't have a clue about graphic design, yet they claim they are graphic designers.

It's a disturbing trend.

However, I don't have a license because it's not required. I don't believe there is any in this province. I know there is one organization where they "certify" graphic designers. You have to pay something like $300 a year, but I don't need that as I get enough business these days. Having a reputation is a nice thing to have. I always make sure people get what they need.

I just wish people would at least refrain from claiming they are either a graphic designer or artist when they aren't.

Last I checked, graphic designers are not required by law to have a license. There is a reason that certain professions require it.

Missed this one. You're right, it's not required. However, too many people get bad services from the so-called graphic designers these days.

The average Joe don't know a lick about design and art. So it's easy for them to end up wasting money on a no-talent hack who advertises himself as a graphic designer.

Sad, eh?

You'll be surprised to see how much people spend on graphic designers these days only to get very little in return.

Missed this one. You're right, it's not required. However, too many people get bad services from the so-called graphic designers these days.

The average Joe don't know a lick about design and art. So it's easy for them to end up wasting money on a no-talent hack who advertises himself as a graphic designer.

Sad, eh?

You'll be surprised to see how much people spend on graphic designers these days only to get very little in return.

I'm with you on that. In my 17 years as a graphic designer I've seen some pretty sad work out there. :(

Last edited:
I know what you are talking about.

I'm a professional graphic designer. Sometimes I do wish there was a law requiring people in my profession to have a license. There are far too many people who don't have a clue about graphic design, yet they claim they are graphic designers.

It's a disturbing trend.

However, I don't have a license because it's not required. I don't believe there is any in this province. I know there is one organization where they "certify" graphic designers. You have to pay something like $300 a year, but I don't need that as I get enough business these days. Having a reputation is a nice thing to have. I always make sure people get what they need.

I just wish people would at least refrain from claiming they are either a graphic designer or artist when they aren't.

I agree on that one. I used to be a graphic design student and I remember some well meaning person recommended that I use AutoCAD in graphic design.:roll: It's used for engineering or architecture and has nothing to do with graphic design. Sometimes I'll come across an ad by someone looking for a graphic designer and it's clear the person who placed the ad has no clue what a graphic designer does.

I agree on that one. I used to be a graphic design student and I remember some well meaning person recommended that I use AutoCAD in graphic design.:roll: It's used for engineering or architecture and has nothing to do with graphic design. Sometimes I'll come across an ad by someone looking for a graphic designer and it's clear the person who placed the ad has no clue what a graphic designer does.

Oh, I've been asked if I use AutoCAD on several occasions. It's always a hoot when someone ask me that one.

Not sure why I'd need to check with an organization about cerebral palsy since daughter doesn't have that.
Yes, I know she doesn't have CP. But organizations like United Cerebal Palsy may be good resources for kids who have severe learning issues, since there are CP kids who deal with a lot of the same issues your daughter does. It is very possible that you could find helpful things for your daughter, through that organization. Like maybe they could perform an evaluation and make suggestions for therapy, or she could go to UCP for therapy or classes (some UCPs have schools attached. Although I'm not sure if they accept kids with mild issues) Another good organization might be Easter Seals...your daughter does sound like the kind of kid who would attend an Easter Seals camp.

I honestly can say that I have very little knowledge about the field of graphic designing. Interesting stuff that I am learning here from u and others.

Back