Parents of children who are implanted --

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wirelessly posted (Sidekick LX: Mozilla/5.0 (Danger hiptop 4.6; U; rv:1.7.12) Gecko/20050920)

if it is really need to ban D/deaf schools, just cos of sexual abuse, then they must ban non-D/deaf schools that provide various sexual abuses. Otherwise, you can't ignore the history of abuses at any non-D/deaf school.

It amazes me that anyone is being overeacted about that. Well, for realistic reasons, some parents or parental graudians are not able to (or refused to) communcation with their kids, that would result in only kids will only learn how to say a no and use a manner from D/deaf schools & kids' friends. But, it is not enough. That is where problems are behind the reason. D/deaf schools should never treated as a babysister house, therefore parents should to be invovled for their children's sakes. Importantly noted, people should be glad that teachers and staffs take a serious personal when the nasty problems are coming up. Too bad, it is still not enough. Funny, my sister's former high school had a similar problem like my old deaf school through mine was fewer than her old school.

Are you saying deaf schools are big NO and non-deaf schools are big OK? Well, I guess it is so easy to blame. :roll:

Agreed but for me if a school has reported sexual abuse then I can assure you my child will not be going there. I also believe it is more likley to happen at residential programs simply becuase there is more opportunity.

thats understandable that you are reallly concerned about it. But again, It didn't happen to me when I attended deaf school and stayed there after school for sports and being away to other states for tournaments. I even slept in the Deaf residental schools in the other states for sport purposes. I assure you that i know few of my friends who used to be in the residental schools. It did not happen to them, maybe because they keep communicating with people and parents all like that. I rather seeing the residental schools to be remain for several good reasons.

Wirelessly posted (Sidekick LX: Mozilla/5.0 (Danger hiptop 4.6; U; rv:1.7.12) Gecko/20050920)

if it is really need to ban D/deaf schools, just cos of sexual abuse, then they must ban non-D/deaf schools that provide various sexual abuses. Otherwise, you can't ignore the history of abuses at any non-D/deaf school.

I agree... might as well shut down the churches, day cares, hospitals, nursing homes, community centers and pretty much every other public place as well. Heck, let's all just hole up at home and hide from the world because something bad might happen.

Why let the fear of something that might happen get in the way? The guaranteed good far outweighs the imagined bad.

I agree... might as well shut down the churches, day cares, hospitals, nursing homes, community centers and pretty much every other public place as well. Heck, let's all just hole up at home and hide from the world because something bad might happen.

Why let the fear of something that might happen get in the way? The guaranteed good far outweighs the imagined bad.

:gpost:

Might as well live on the streets since majority of the sexual abuse happens in your own family-- usually an uncle, your own dad, your own mom... and so on.

:lol: Yep, yep. Good one, WeeB. :)

I know but it seems like you are making it sound like all deaf schools are dangerous for the kids.
No I am just responding to those that are say the abuse is a myth or that it doesn't matter in the name of deaf education or cultural development.

nobody ever said to ban the schools or shut them down. I don't know where that is coming from. The question posed to parents of CI kids is would you consider sending them to deaf schools. I answered for my reasons and only started talking about the abuse when another poster mentioned that it is a myth and does not happen. However in consideration for a deaf or any school with reported abuse, said abuse MUST be part of the consideration. To not consider it would be irresponsible in my opinion.

FYI, you posted about only ONE current case. And that was about the Washington School case. That was very out of the norm. If I recall correctly it was exclusively perpetrated by a
student who literally needed to be in a juvie hall psych ward. Nowadays, virtually ALL deaf schools have fail safes in place to ensure that stuff like that doesn't happen. Nowadays it is pretty much a myth. They've changed things from the past so that something like that (sex abuse by a pedophile who "grooms,) doesn't happen any more. Granted something like " Romeo and Juliet" statatory rape may be more common, but the rape and pedophilla has gone WAY DOWN from the old days. It's prolbaly comparable to the sex scandals at a mainstream school. What I meant to say that the myth that Deaf Schools are hotbeds of sexual abuse, is just that. A myth. There may be cases here and there but those cases are comparble to what would happen at a hearing school.
And you just reposted a list of the deaf schools where sexual abuse was reported in the PAST. Heck in the past sexual abuse happened in the Catholic Church, (and quite recently too) orphanages etc etc.
We're not saying we would send our kids to a Deaf School to experiance sexual abuse. We're saying that it happened in the past, but now there are safety nets in place so that sort of thing doesn't happen any more.
In the past, there were uneducated hearing educators who thought they knew the best with the deaf children and took advantage of those children so far away from home
Yes, there are failsafes now!!!!! Deaf Schools were NOTORIOUS for sexual abuse back then, but then so were group homes, nursing homes, hospitals etc.

FYI, you posted about only ONE current case. And that was about the Washington School case. That was very out of the norm. If I recall correctly it was exclusively perpetrated by a
student who literally needed to be in a juvie hall psych ward. Nowadays, virtually ALL deaf schools have fail safes in place to ensure that stuff like that doesn't happen. Nowadays it is pretty much a myth. They've changed things from the past so that something like that (sex abuse by a pedophile who "grooms,) doesn't happen any more. Granted something like " Romeo and Juliet" statatory rape may be more common, but the rape and pedophilla has gone WAY DOWN from the old days. It's prolbaly comparable to the sex scandals at a mainstream school. What I meant to say that the myth that Deaf Schools are hotbeds of sexual abuse, is just that. A myth. There may be cases here and there but those cases are comparble to what would happen at a hearing school.
And you just reposted a list of the deaf schools where sexual abuse was reported in the PAST. Heck in the past sexual abuse happened in the Catholic Church, (and quite recently too) orphanages etc etc.
We're not saying we would send our kids to a Deaf School to experiance sexual abuse. We're saying that it happened in the past, but now there are safety nets in place so that sort of thing doesn't happen any more.
Yes, there are failsafes now!!!!! Deaf Schools were NOTORIOUS for sexual abuse back then, but then so were group homes, nursing homes, hospitals etc.

Yea, things are very very very strict in the dorms nowadays. No dorm staff are allowed to be alone with a child at all times. My brother is working at a dorm at a Deaf school and he tells me how strict everything is.

Just like there were no background checks for potential employers to work at any schools back then and now there are. Same thing goes for Deaf schools..policies were created and put forth in the dorms.

You can be in denial all you want to but the truth is that abuse still happens today and it is not a myth. It happens in public schools, deaf schools, catholic schools day camps and the list goes on and on. I have provided you with more than ONE case if you just go back and read the links. Also you can do your own research and you will see that what I am telling you is true. It is true today as it was true in the past. Anyone can do the research and you will find many cases past and current.

What I meant to say that the myth that Deaf Schools are hotbeds of sexual abuse, is just that. A myth.

Agree! I hate to say this, but I think some people view deaf people can be taken advantage of because they can't hear. Same thing why they are paranoid if their deaf child can't walk to their friends' house by themselves and yet they allow their hearing kids go their their friend's house by themselves

No, I don't think deaf people are going to let that happen to them. Afterall, all these years of taking a walk to a 2 miles store and and such by myself, While everyone knew I was deaf ... abuse never happened to me. Because I knew how to guard myself.

They need better education how to protect themselves.

You can be in denial all you want to but the truth is that abuse still happens today and it is not a myth. It happens in public schools, deaf schools, catholic schools day camps and the list goes on and on. I have provided you with more than ONE case if you just go back and read the links. Also you can do your own research and you will see that what I am telling you is true. It is true today as it was true in the past. Anyone can do the research and you will find many cases past and current.

So now you believe other schools have the same amount of sex abuse as deaf school or deaf school have MORE sexual abuse?

What school do you trust anyway?

You are putting words in my mouth. What I am saying is that abuse is everywhere and people should not say its a myth or deny it. That's all.

You are putting words in my mouth. What I am saying is that abuse is everywhere and people should not say its a myth or deny it. That's all.

That's what we been saying, but you are treating it as it is worst in deaf school. I don't know the purpose of you bringing it up.

That's what we been saying, but you are treating it as it is worst in deaf school. I don't know the purpose of you bringing it up.
I never said it was worse at deaf schools. The question posed is would parents of CI kids consider sending their kids to deaf schools. My reply was that when I investigated deaf schools one of the things that I discovered was that there was abuse there. My common sense tells me that a residential school would have far more opportunity for such abuse. The conversation continued when DD posted that there is no abuse at deaf schools and that was a myth. I am sorry but that is simply not true.

I never said it was worse at deaf schools. The question posed is would parents of CI kids consider sending their kids to deaf schools. My reply was that when I investigated deaf schools one of the things that I discovered was that there was abuse there. My common sense tells me that a residential school would have far more opportunity for such abuse. The conversation continued when DD posted that there is no abuse at deaf schools and that was a myth. I am sorry but that is simply not true.

The question is, would you sent your child to a military school? I know some parents do. Some people also sent their out of control child to some kind of behavior residential school because they have no choice as one person I know had to do this because he was making all kinds of threat against his parents (they were scared to the point that they had to lock their doors at night)... I don't know the proper name for it, but it is kinda like an institution. Would you send them there?

Would you feel the same way, that these school have more opportunity for abuse ... or is it just deaf schools?

The question is, would you sent your child to a military school? I know some parents do. Some people also sent their out of control child to some kind of behavior residential school because they have no choice as one person I know had to do this because he was making all kinds of threat against his parents (they were scared to the point that they had to lock their doors at night)... I don't know the proper name for it, but it is kinda like an institution. Would you send them there?
My concerns and criteria for such a decision would be the same.

I'm with RD in making sure that my child would be safe at any school/institution of any type.

The means never justify the ends. In other words, abuse but especially sexual abuse is significant and profound for any child. (I have personal experience when young [a minor matter in the scheme of things] and I have heard far too many stories of others to take this lightly.) That is not a risk I'm willing to take if I felt it was more likely to happen. Granted one can't eliminate all risks (only the stupid think they can) but I can most certainly take action to improve the odds in the child's favor. To do anything less, I shirk my duties as a parent (I do have two thus I know what I speak).

I'm with RD in making sure that my child would be safe at any school/institution of any type.

The means never justify the ends. In other words, abuse but especially sexual abuse is significant and profound for any child. (I have personal experience when young [a minor matter in the scheme of things] and I have heard far too many stories of others to take this lightly.) That is not a risk I'm willing to take if I felt it was more likely to happen. Granted one can't eliminate all risks (only the stupid think they can) but I can most certainly take action to improve the odds in the child's favor. To do anything less, I shirk my duties as a parent (I do have two thus I know what I speak).
Thank you for understanding.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back