Overdone hello title.

Auroke22

Reaction score
Hey everyone. I'm Donavan from Birmingham, AL. I'm on here to poke around at the forum. Never really joined one before, and it sounded like fun :) I am learning ASL, due my mother slowly, but steadily losing her hearing with Menieres. My mother and I are learning together. My dad won't learn sign language with us, and actually makes jokes about us using it. Any tips to help remedy that? I look forward to getting to know some people on here :D

:welcome: to AllDeaf forum. I hope you both have fun reading and posting here. See you around here. :wave:

Hey everyone. I'm Donavan from Birmingham, AL. I'm on here to poke around at the forum. Never really joined one before, and it sounded like fun :) I am learning ASL, due my mother slowly, but steadily losing her hearing with Menieres. My mother and I are learning together. My dad won't learn sign language with us, and actually makes jokes about us using it. Any tips to help remedy that? I look forward to getting to know some people on here :D

You and your mother could start having very interesting talks using ASL and your dad may want to know what you're talking about . Or you could tell really funny jokes using ASL to one another and your dad will have no idea why you both are LOL!

You and your mother could start having very interesting talks using ASL and your dad may want to know what you're talking about . Or you could tell really funny jokes using ASL to one another and your dad will have no idea why you both are LOL!

Then you can say, Learn ASL with us and youll know !

In addition to your quote, you can tell your father that if he can not understand sign language, you would have to say "Never mind" in signs to him.

It is just a problem every time your father or any other hearing person would say "never mind" when we asked what they are talking about in a hearing group or maybe even one to one. Get my drift? :hmm:

It should be even or fair between ASL and oral conversations, I guess. :hmm:

Back