our story.

Actually i was referring to a conductive hearing loss that was just occuring before the person went without normal heari g allowing the nerve cells to die off that wasnt getting stimulated. Then, if that occurs yes, hearing aids are needed. Also, if the conductive hearing loss cant be repaired dued to deformative of inner ear or other reasons the surgeon cannot fix, hearing aids would help. This is what happened with my dad. I do offer my appolgy . I had forgotten this. Dont crucify me here. I think we all want to help advice courtney without upsetting one another. Lets get excitted about her lil girl going to see a new ENT. Forget about all this yelling. Gosh....is it a full moon tonight? Wow!

I'm not trying to knock you down at all ... just mention that it isn't always "fixable".

Parents should be given accurate hope, but not false hope.
In this case that means "sometimes it's correctable, other times, it's not."

Anij- its okay. My sister has a BAHA and i didnt even thi k about her. Gosh...im getting old here. My sis loves her BAHA and it has helped her a lot. She has conductive hearing loss, too. Surgery didnt help her. hope the best for the lil girl and a bright future for her. Courtney- hope you have stress free days helping your daughter as well.

Looks like the reading indicates conductive type heari g loss. This means your daughters hearing loss is in the middle ear. Could be with bone conductive loss. She could of had fluid build up in her ears when the test was done. The test does not say your lil girl has a sensornerol loss which is perment hearing loss. Conductive hearing loss can be corrected with either tubes, waiting for middle ear infection to clear up, middle ear surgery to correct the tiny bones in the middle area known as the stirrup, hammer, and i cant remember last one. Maybe someone can help me here. The sensoral inner ear hearing loss is where the hearing nerve cells in the cochlear have been damaged and cannot be repaired. Please excuse my poor spelling. Anyways, this may be the reason the ENT, or Audi has been holding back on fitting her with hearing aids. my own experience and my degrees i hold, one in education of the deaf , hearing airs are not given to children or to anyone with a conductive hearing loss because the hearing loss can can be corrected. If they were to put the HA on her then with time and long use she will adventure destroy good cochlear nerve cells. Im sure the ENT and Audi are thinking about this. So, seems like you may need to have her tested again see if theres any improvement. She may need tubes in her ears. Your primary doctor is your best bet as well as a good ENT. I hope others will chip in and also share feedback. But be glad it says conductive hearing loss....which can be repaired....and it doesnt say sensorial hearing loss which is permament and cant be repaired.

would the audi have been able to see fluid in her middle ear with the little earlookeriner light thing. if the fluid wasnt infected? she hasnt seen an ent since she was three, and last time i had her in the pedatrician he said her ears were clear but that was more than a month ago. is there a way to see if it is damage to the middle ear parts without surgery or is it a "look and see" thing?

The little thing he uses to look in the ear with only lets him see the ear drum . he can see if there are fluid pressing up against her ear drum from her middle ear. He can see ear infections. But he cannot see behind her eardrum. She would need to have a cat scan or MRI to see if there is middle ear damage to the three lil tiny bones. No telling whats going on but obviously she needs help. She isnt hearing sounds like she should.

I'm not trying to knock you down at all ... just mention that it isn't always "fixable".

Parents should be given accurate hope, but not false hope.
In this case that means "sometimes it's correctable, other times, it's not."

Agreed. IMHO, unless there is a secondary disability, parents should wait until the kid is old enough, to let them chose whether or not to have surgery to repair the loss......this doesn't count intervention for tubes, since that's immediate.... but I had atresia repair surgery as a teen. I CHOSE to have it, and am glad I had that choice. Other kids should too.....You can live a rich full life without hearing!

No need to swear. She needs to find out what is causing her daughter's problems with hearing, and make sure it is not something that is dangerous to her overall health.
Sorry Botti, but you attacked me. I know you're frustrated with this parent, but please don't take it out on me.
Yes exactly.....but apparently she was dealing with a really bad Medicaid doc......one who described hearing loss in percentanges?!?!?!?
I think I'd ask for another referral.. She does have hearing loss according to her audiogram...She just needs hearing aids ....as for having a condition that causes hearing loss, and would also threaten her overall health wouldn't that be really rare? Especially in a kid?

Sorry Botti, but you attacked me. I know you're frustrated with this parent, but please don't take it out on me.
Yes exactly.....but apparently she was dealing with a really bad Medicaid doc......one who described hearing loss in percentanges?!?!?!?
I think I'd ask for another referral.. She does have hearing loss according to her audiogram...She just needs hearing aids ....as for having a condition that causes hearing loss, and would also threaten her overall health wouldn't that be really rare? Especially in a kid?

Go back to your first attack where you called me an oralist and spewed a bunch of viscous nonsense.

I am really a bit annoyed with what you are doing here.

And a hearing loss that progresses like this, and then suddenly also progresses to bad tinnitus, looks like something is going on that could have implications for some disease process.

would the audi have been able to see fluid in her middle ear with the little earlookeriner light thing. if the fluid wasnt infected? she hasnt seen an ent since she was three, and last time i had her in the pedatrician he said her ears were clear but that was more than a month ago. is there a way to see if it is damage to the middle ear parts without surgery or is it a "look and see" thing?

When your child was first assessed, she likely had a tympanogram which indicated pressure/ fluid in the middle ear which was why tubes were probably recommended. Her hearing loss as that time may have been just a conductive loss.

If she just saw the Audi again and there was no indication of a conductive component to her hearing loss, it sounds like it's now a sensorineural hearing loss.

You aren't going to get solid information on your daughter's needs here. You need to be talking to the doctors.

Here is some information on tympanograms if you're interested.

Common Types of Tympanograms Jen Duffey Hearing Evaluation - Adults Hearing Eval/Screen - Children/Special Pop 361

CSun, even late deafened people may have deaf speech. I didn't either, but the IMPLICATION with speech therapy is that a dhh person can have perfect speech. If her language was behind, I'd be ALL for the therapy....But you are NOT even HOH. I suggest you put on a pair of earplugs while trying to learn how to pronounce words in a foreign language. This child's speech DOES sound overall intelligible. It's not like everyone's saying " I can't understand her speech!" It sounds like she's at the level where a lot of HOH kids are in intelligbailty!

No, the implication with speech therapy is not that all people who are DHH can have perfect speech. The implication is that they may benefit, their speech might improve, but you don't know until you try it.

You are the only one who constantly refers to DHH people and "perfect speech" or "speaking like a hearing person". You really need to let that go.

no, i get hostile when negative judgement is passes on me, by people who dont know the entire story.
when you call someone a liar, and say they are an unfit neglectful parent, you can expect them to get hostile.
you do not know my story, you dont know what ive been threw with my daughter. you know a few of sentences i CHOSE to share. why dont you take a couple extra seconds to try to see things past the tip of your nose, and try to understand. the only thing you have said was i was a bad parent for not getting tubes, when you have no idea the situation i was in, financially or otherwise, or if the tubes would have even worked.

If she had fluid in her middle ear (which is why they recommend tubes), they most likely would have worked (drained the fluid).

When your child was first assessed, she likely had a tympanogram which indicated pressure/ fluid in the middle ear which was why tubes were probably recommended. Her hearing loss as that time may have been just a conductive loss.

If she just saw the Audi again and there was no indication of a conductive component to her hearing loss, it sounds like it's now a sensorineural hearing loss.

You aren't going to get solid information on your daughter's needs here. You need to be talking to the doctors.

she has another appointment with a different doctor next week. im not tying to self diagnose my daughter on here, im just trying to get get opinions and advice from people who know a bit more than i do. since i cant seem to get a straight answer from a doctor, if i go in with specific questions to ask i might get a better answer.
and typing in "what is ____" on google doesnt lead to anything.

If she had fluid in her middle ear (which is why they recommend tubes), they most likely would have worked (drained the fluid).

tubes were mentioned but NOT recommended.
from what the doctor said there might HAD BEEN fluid in her ears before, which scared her ear drum, the damage was done, and doing tubes would drain fluid that MIGHT build up and since she was getting older it wasnt likely that there would be much fluid build up.

the doctor we went to this time didnt say anything about fluid or tubes.

No, the implication with speech therapy is not that all people who are DHH can have perfect speech. The implication is that they may benefit, their speech might improve, but you don't know until you try it.

You are the only one who constantly refers to DHH people and "perfect speech" or "speaking like a hearing person". You really need to let that go.

Oh really? Go and look at the language used for auditory verbal and auditory oral approaches.
Ask a student who overall has extremely good language but who is in speech b/c they still have "issues" (meaning not as good as a hearing person's) in articulation, pitch, volumne etc..............
That mentality is STILL there.....hell on auditory verbal sites they claim that (with ENOUGH speech therapy), if you're the perfect Tiger/Therapy Mama and totally immerse your kid in it, the auditory verbal approach results in kids with "like hearing" speech.
I have a lot of friends who are *gasp* speech therapists.....that is what they are taught....that speech therapy can pretty much result in perfect speech.
God, we have a member right here, whose father basicly insisituted that if she couldn't pronounce pneumonia correctly, she wouldn't have much oppertunties in the hearing world....Look at all the parents of oral deaf kids who correct their speech and who yell at their kids for talking too loudly or laughing weirdly or whatever.........

I was thinking about a show I watched where someone actually had a bug in their ear. Gross!!! If she is experiencing pain maybe you should get her checked out. The 17th is still a long way away. Good luck!!

Believe I saw that show too and it really freaked me out....no bugs in my house....and with all the surgeries I've had, my ear canals are very large....the doctor did close off the left ear last month tho'....and I still go to bed with cotton in my ears!....:giggle:...not taking any chances....

Oh really? Go and look at the language used for auditory verbal and auditory oral approaches.
Ask a student who overall has extremely good language but who is in speech b/c they still have "issues" (meaning not as good as a hearing person's) in articulation, pitch, volumne etc..............
That mentality is STILL there.....hell on auditory verbal sites they claim that (with ENOUGH speech therapy), if you're the perfect Tiger/Therapy Mama and totally immerse your kid in it, the auditory verbal approach results in kids with "like hearing" speech.
I have a lot of friends who are *gasp* speech therapists.....that is what they are taught....that speech therapy can pretty much result in perfect speech.
God, we have a member right here, whose father basicly insisituted that if she couldn't pronounce pneumonia correctly, she wouldn't have much oppertunties in the hearing world....Look at all the parents of oral deaf kids who correct their speech and who yell at their kids for talking too loudly or laughing weirdly or whatever.........

I've been deaf over 50 years...and still can speak/say pneumonia...and the reason is....I never stopped speaking....I do have the deaf accent tho'...but being late-deafened, decided not to stop speaking....The little girl still has her speech and I hope she will continue to use it and learn new words also.

Okay.... reading a lot of this has REALLY irritated me, D/deaf/ Hard Of Hearing Children will NEVER I repeat NEVER have perfect speech just from working at it, no matter how enthusiastic and overbearing the parents, and therapist are. I am late deafened and even my speech can be recognized as "deaf". Fact is you can't hear how words or are said or how you sound when speaking, fully (if at all) so this supposition that with speech therapy a person can have perfect speech is freaking nonsensical at best. Aside from the fact that results vary, it's also a HUGE take up of time. Time most of us wished we had for friends or to do things we actually enjoy not sit around and do tricks for hearing people.

I've been deaf over 50 years...and still can speak/say pneumonia...and the reason is....I never stopped speaking....I do have the deaf accent tho'...but being late-deafened, decided not to stop speaking....The little girl still has her speech and I hope she will continue to use it and learn new words also.

Exactly, she has spoken language by DEFAULT. But even late deafened people still often have unintelliegbale speech.
I do agree that dhh kids deserve good quality speech therapy to develop spoken language. It's a useful skill. Just as hearing kids in a spoken bilingual program can learn say spoken French pretty well, if the potential is there (for spoken language) it should be developed. But speech therapy cannot and does not give native fluency to dhh kids....most of them still have significant articulation, pitch, volumne and all those boring mechanical issues.
Just b/c a kid can go boo be bah clearly it doesn't mean that they will be able to have more oppertunties.....It would be like arguing that a hearing person who speaks French somewhat fluently has "more" opertunties if they can pronounce French words clearly.....

and a silly is correct....even many if not most HOH kids have mechanical speech issues.....HOH kids mind you!

welp, i managed to get her some help with school work. she took a placement test at the end of kindergarten and placed on a third grade math concepts level, and lower in reading. i requested she be tested again, just because I know shes not doing as well as she should be with her reading and spelling, and what do ya know, her scores reflected that. so they are sending a tutor to work with her once a week to ensure she doesnt fall behind in her reading and spelling.
thats the best the school could do with out a "special placement" recommendation from the doctor.
ive also set up for her to meet with the speech therapist just to get evaluated. i can understand her speech just fine, but im not sure how much of her misspronouciation is from being 6, or from not being able to hear well.
And she has another appointment to get another hearing test done by a different doctor, one the school recommended, on the 31st. it was for today, but she has the flu and is all congested, and running a fever so we rescheduled.

welp, i managed to get her some help with school work. she took a placement test at the end of kindergarten and placed on a third grade math concepts level, and lower in reading. i requested she be tested again, just because I know shes not doing as well as she should be with her reading and spelling, and what do ya know, her scores reflected that. so they are sending a tutor to work with her once a week to ensure she doesnt fall behind in her reading and spelling.
thats the best the school could do with out a "special placement" recommendation from the doctor.
ive also set up for her to meet with the speech therapist just to get evaluated. i can understand her speech just fine, but im not sure how much of her misspronouciation is from being 6, or from not being able to hear well.
And she has another appointment to get another hearing test done by a different doctor, one the school recommended, on the 31st. it was for today, but she has the flu and is all congested, and running a fever so we rescheduled.
Well that's good that you've done that......Hopefully you can get more when you get a concrete dx.

well we went to the ent yesterday. he said there was a little fluid in her ears. which is common after just getting over a cold/the flu but not enough to warrant the amount of loss she has.
so again we are back where we were a few years ago. tubes may or may not help. and we are going back for allergy testing while the insurance clears the surgery for the tubes.

Back