Votes: 19 29.7%
  • No

Votes: 31 48.4%
  • Maybe or sometimes

Votes: 14 21.9%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
It is a bi-bi school that has a CI program. The CI program uses spoken language. That is how it is different than the rest of the school.

It is a bi-bi school. Many bi-bi schools offer CI students admission. Please see the admissions procedure statement that I posted. It clearly states that education is provided in a bi-bi environment.

No where does it state that MSD has a CI program that uses spoken language only.

Yes. It is a bi-bi school. I have never said otherwise.

Again, why do you think they have a CI program? Why do you think it is a different program?

I don't think it is a different program. It is a bi-bi school. There is nothing anywhere on their website that states that they have a CI program that offers a "spoken language track." In fact, every place on the website, from Intro to Academics, to student life, it states that education is provided in a bilingual environment.

It is a bi-bi school. Many bi-bi schools offer CI students admission. Please see the admissions procedure statement that I posted. It clearly states that education is provided in a bi-bi environment.

Not that they admit CI users, but that they have a program for CI users.

The director told me that it is a seperate program. She said that they use spoken language in the classroom. She also said that they are combined with the other program for some classes and that then they use ASL.

Not that they admit CI users, but that they have a program for CI users.

The director told me that it is a seperate program. She said that they use spoken language in the classroom. She also said that they are combined with the other program for some classes and that then they use ASL.

Why isn't this program listed anywhere on their website? If they has the program you are claiming, it would stand to reason that they would list it as a part of the academic program.

What you have described in your last sentence is a bi-bi program. Not a "spoken language track". What classes are you claiming use spoken language only, and what classes are they in the classes using ASL as the mode of instruction?

Starting this fall, in addition to academic classes where American Sign Language and printed English are the languages of instruction, MSD will also offer academic classes where Spoken English is the language of instruction. In these classes, American Sign Language will be used, when appropriate, to provide “bridging”. Students in these “oral approach” classes will utilize the MSD’s public school curriculum and attend specials (Art, Drama, Computer Literacy, American Sign Language, and Physical Education classes) where American Sign Language is the language of instruction. Family Education and Early Childhood Department will offer Spoken English classes at both campuses starting this fall. There will be also a Spoken English class at the Columbia Campus Pre-Kindergarten and Kindergarten level; and at the Frederick Campus first grade level.

Maryland School for the Deaf

Classes are grouped according to age and ability level. Physical Education, Spoken English, Keyboarding, and Art classes are included as part of the curriculum. The development of social skills is an integral part of the program to help students to interact appropriately with their peers,their families, and with others in the community. Field trips, community activities and special holiday celebrations allow individuals to share experiences with each other.

That is a part of the curriculum for all students. Consistent with a bi-bi environment. It is not a separate track for CI users.

" to provide auditory training and speech services for students with cochlear implants as a part of the School’s Cochlear Implant Program"

That is an ad for employment for an SLP. No doubt, they provide an SLP just as your daughter's current placement does. And no doubt, they provide SLP services consistent with their mission statement. You haven't found anything new with that one. And spoken language classes are a part of the curriculum for all students.

That is an ad for employment. And spoken language classes are a part of the curriculum for all students.

And Botts link? You claimed there was no CI program and that they never use spoken language in the classroom. That is clearly not the case.

Classes are grouped according to age and ability level. Physical Education, Spoken English, Keyboarding, and Art classes are included as part of the curriculum. The development of social skills is an integral part of the program to help students to interact appropriately with their peers,their families, and with others in the community. Field trips, community activities and special holiday celebrations allow individuals to share experiences with each other.

That is a part of the curriculum for all students. Consistent with a bi-bi environment. It is not a separate track for CI users.

They called it "oral approach" classes. And in the link I posted they called "Cochlear Implant Program"

And Botts link? You claimed there was no CI program and that they never use spoken language in the classroom. That is clearly not the case.

Never claimed anything of the kind, and I hereby challenge to point me to exactly where I said they never use spoken language in the classroom.

They called it "oral approach" classes. And in the link I posted they called "Cochlear Implant Program"

Where? Oral approach is in direct opposition to their mission statement.

Exactly what is an "oral approach class"?

The link you posted was an employment notice for an SLP. And it also states that the SLP is expected to know ASL.

Read the highlighted part of Bott's link. They call it that, not me.

An oral approach class as described in Bott's link is nothing more than what I already posted is a part of their curriculum for all students. And the "oral approach classes" beginning this fall are also identified as part of the family program...better known as early intervention, not elementary school curriculum.

An oral approach class as described in Bott's link is nothing more than what I already posted is a part of their curriculum for all students.

They are using spoken language as the language of instruction in the classroom.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back