Opinions on sign language course please

Too good to be true! Immersion is the best method. Can you find a class at a local deaf center or deaf church? That's been really good for me.

A professional ASL teacher would not be wearing a shirt that interferes with the visual view of the hands when teaching.

dictionary.jpg

A plain dark shirt is best when teaching ASL. This is shameless plugging of the website.

A professional ASL teacher would not be wearing a shirt that interferes with the visual view of the hands when teaching.

dictionary.jpg

A plain dark shirt is best when teaching ASL. This is shameless plugging of the website.

Good eye catching! apparently this person don't have ethical codes. So i am not sure about this cd.

Signing Naturally is best, I have all of the series.

Teacher and Students books.
While I am sure those are quite good, I have always found it much easier to view a person doing the sign with transport controls to slow or replay the video. Not everybody needs that but it really works for me. I'll check to see if Signing Naturally has a multimedia version hopefully with video of the signs.

It looks like Signing Naturally does come with a DVD. Ms. Bucket, do you know if the DVD shows how to do the signs?

Signing Naturally has some signs on its DVDs, but it's mostly exercises and stories instead of vocabulary.

Signing Naturally has some signs on its DVDs, but it's mostly exercises and stories instead of vocabulary.

That is why the series is called "Signing Naturally." The natural way to learn any language is not one vocab word at a time. Signing Naturally is as close to immersion as one can get with a video.

It looks like Signing Naturally does come with a DVD. Ms. Bucket, do you know if the DVD shows how to do the signs?

Signing Naturally books all have DVDs.

The DVDs does have exercises for you to do after you read a chapter & you answer the questions after you view it on the DVD.

I highly recommend Signing Naturally books because like jillio mentioned, it is the closest you can get to immersion.

Signing Naturally is what ASL instructors and students use these days.

The ASL Bible - The Green Book I highly recommend you get this too as well. The Green Book is very imperative to learning and understanding ASL and Deaf Culture.

Wirelessly posted

jillio said:

That is why the series is called "Signing Naturally." The natural way to learn any language is not one vocab word at a time. Signing Naturally is as close to immersion as one can get with a video.

Seconded.

Haven't gotten around to picking the series up yet though.

Have you ever taken an ASL class, RD?

Yepyep.

Signing Naturally is best, I have all of the series.

Teacher and Students books.

I wish that I could afford those. I know that Barnes & Noble has them (#1-#6) for $54.85 I think it said. How many total are there?

Back